Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

What are the upgrade limits of each generation of the iPod classic?

First ever time posting on here!

Collectively i have learnt lots from articles and questions before on here so hopefully someone will have an answer for me..

I am in the process of upgrading an iPod 7th generation to use an SDXC memory source with the help of an iFlash board. I am aware of iTunes related limitations with the older generations and wondered if anybody has information on what limits Apple installed onto each logic board variant.

For example I am reliably informed that iTunes will tend to only detect upto {50,000 songs or 120GB even if the new storage memory is say 250+GB}.

Simply the internet tells me that the 7th generation 160GB seems to not be limited and you can see lots of example on Ebay of models with storage of 500+GB.

And before anybody suggest it, no I don't want to use Rockbox :)

Cheers,

Greg

I recently upgraded an iPod 7th Gen that had a physically damaged HDD. I used an iFlash-Solo and a PNY Elite Performance 256 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 memory card. My understanding is that the iPod doesn't recognized more than this and the one I did only showed 229GB as available even though it had a 256GB memory card.

It performs very well.

I seriously doubt iOS for the iPod takes 10-20GB. While I believe that you could push the memory even further, I would also not use eBay as evidence of anything ;>).

Tarkan also sells a dual-card board which would be needed to push this thing to 1TB.

You should comment on the answers rather than add answers to your own question. It makes things easier to follow because with time your question may generate lots of responses.

Fancy adapter, but for future reference here are a few other options:

CF to SD + ZIF to SD

Or

ZIF to mSata

Or

ZIF SSD

Sorry Minho- Commenting now.

-----------

Hi George,

Decent suggestions -

Ive looked at the first two options before and the costs worked out near enough the same as SDXC upgrades. Ones I'm targeting are 256gb FYI.

Something I hadn't seen before though is that ZIF SSD - didn't even know they existed! Shame the price is so steep, even without the need of a tarkan board its still cheaper to do an SDXC upgrade - providing you get a good deal on your cards.

Plenty of time on nightshifts to scour the internet this evening - It appears anything built in the 6th -6.5 generation era is subject to LBA28 addressing which is the cause of the limit with using iTunes. The latest 7th Gen and any generation before the 6th Gen are subject to LBA48 addressing which does not give a limit - APPARENTLY. No idea what this is referring to or why it causes problems.

Only way ill prove it is by testing this theory when my parts arrive in couple of days. Perhaps ill bore you all with the results.

Minho, you lose about 16-20 GB from formatting. The rest must be firmware.

Greg, as you can see in Minho's answer, the 7th gen iPod supports most of his 256GB card. Those lost gigabytes are likely because of mentioned above.

Yeah I have completed one already and had similar numbers as yours. I suspect its more the size of the firmware that goes onto takes up a fair chunk and then the true memory value being maybe 10-20 GB less than advertised on most cards.

I know that the 7th Generation can go higher than this though - Ebay is evidence of this. I saw one guy had made a 1TB version! See the picture LOL!

Tarkan's page lists some compatibility details but not much. Basically my friend wants to do his 6.5 Gen 120gb version and I'm unsure whether it will work or be limited if that makes sense at all.

Greg Harper will be eternally grateful.