LG's flagship smartphone, with a unique slide-out battery and detachable I/O module supporting multiple hardware expansion options. Released in April 2016.

GPS Not working well at all

Are there any ways to fix the gps on the LG G5? Where is the antenna located? I've found several fixes and tried a couple. Getting better contact with some of the pins has helped but its temporary. I only get one satellite to connect currently which is better than the none I had before. Help?!

Most Helpful Answer

There are lots of posts and videos online telling you to tweak various contacts, but they're all wrong! I've finally fixed this after months of messing.

1. The GPS antenna is at the top-right, looking from the front of the phone.

2. The contact pad is a tiny piece of metal gauze at the very top right of the back.

3. There is only one contact on the main board that contacts this pad (easy to see which it is).

I think the reason people say other things have worked is that simply opening and re-assembling the phone will re-seat the contact, improving performance for a while.

Real problem: the contact gauze connects to the antenna at the top, the contact pin presses on it near its bottom edge. There should be a tiny rubber pad under the lower part of the gauze. This was missing on mine, so the spring contact never made good pressure on the gauze, and over time wore the gauze away. I only discovered this after buying a broken G5 on eBay and comparing. I swapped phone backs to get it working.

I also proved this is the contact by re-assembling with a sliver of paper on the gauze to prevent contact - no GPS signal.

The missing rubber pad must have been a manufacturing error, I don't know if it affected a whole batch. Check out this area in the back of your phone, you may be able to see why there's a problem.

After more messing, it seems I was still slightly wrong myself!

The diagram belo shows where the antennae are on the back of the G5. This is viewed from the back, where the GPS antenna is area 4. Looking from the front (i.e. looking at the back from the inside) it's at the top right.

Here's a photo of this area from the inside of the G5 back. There are two contacts in this area, circled in green and red.

I originally thought the antenna was the green one, as it's in the right location, and disrupting it seemed to stop GPS. However, further tests on another phone have proved to me that the main antenna contact is the red one, which connects to a rectangular pad on the motherboard. The pad is circled in red in this photo:

I suspect the green contact is a ground connection, as are other similar contacts around the back. Bad grounding can be expected to degrade the antenna efficiency, so the ground contacts are important too. I think this is what I was seeing initially.

So my conclusion is that good GPS reception depends on both a good ground connection in the corner, and a good connection to the antenna pad marked in red. About the only thing you can do to improve the pad's contact is to gently rub both surfaces to remove any oxidation. The tip of a spudger is probably the best tool.

But also remember that just opening and re-assembling the phone re-seats the contacts, which usually improves things anyway, at least in the short term. This makes it very hard to work out if anything you did inside the phone was actually relevant to the GPS!

I'm away from my home right now, but I return on Saturday and will try this. I'll update with if it worked or not.

I just did this on my G5 this arvo if you follow the instructions exactly and move the gold contacts under a microscope it fixes the problem. Before I could never get a gps lock and navigation would rely on mobile towers. With this I now can get 7-10 gps locks in under 30'seconds. Also use a cotton bud and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the other side of the case when you have it apart. Hope this helps! https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg5/comments/4...

The three contacts in this linked article are actually the connections to the volume control. This is clear if you follow the tracks in the case. I believe the improvement in GPS comes as a result of simply opening and re-assembling the phone, because all the contacts get re-seated. The improvement may last (if you're lucky!), or may degrade again.

Hi I'm fighting with my gps during the day I got g5. I have tried many things. Also I noticed the signal is much stronger if to squeeze right top corner, this just effected only circled in green area. I found Chinese forum . Have it read with google chrome translator. The guy describes exactly the same area and recommends to remove right top corner square metal mesh conductive tape and clean the glue. The problem, like he describes , in poor electric connection between back cower and this mesh. In my opinion, to replace it with aluminum foil is not solution for long time fix because of galvanic processes between aluminum and copper. Better to use thin copper foil. Anyway we need to try it.

Thanks for the post, interesting that you also found connection to the mesh to be a part of the problem. This mesh is attached to the case with conductive glue. It can indeed be removed and re-stuck, but you do need to clean all the old glue and then fix it back with something similar - silver-content conductive paint will work.

The whole thing is a rather bad design. The GPS signal is very weak (far weaker than any other RF signal the phone receives), and any kind of discontinuity in the connection from antenna to chip will introduce noise and weaken the signal, severely reducing performance. A flexible cable would have been better, but that would have increased manufacturing costs.

The spring contact that connects to the corner mesh actually connects to the main board via yet another pressure contact! If you remove the main board you'll see it.

Brigitte Mooney will be eternally grateful.