Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

1066 Questions View all

Does anyone have a link to a hinge cover replacement part or guide?

The plastic black hinge plate on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 cracked. The hinge is still fully functional but the black plastic plate over it is cracked.

I believe it is called the clutch cover from what I've searched and learned on this site. Does anyone have a link to the replacement part or a specific guide on the repair of such a thing? Does this specific part have a replacement for sale somewhere or would I have to replace the entire display or case assembly or something?

I actually found the specific part on ebay.

But, does anyone have a specific guide that would be helpful to this repair? I am not a professional but I have some experience, I'd like to be sure to have as much information as possible before I open stuff up.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0


The technical name for the black plastic part is 'Clutch Cover'


Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Display Replacement

I believe that you have to take out the display to be able to remove it

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4


@cam2363 - You got it!

You're correct you need to free up the lid assembly so you can slide the clutch cover off (black plastic) and put the new one on. If you look at the new part you'll see the bayonet tabs which need to clear.

While one can wedge a screw driver to pop off the clutch cover you do risk damaging the glass or cut the wires just underneath. Take the long path as it will be safer.


Add a comment

Add your answer

Liam Moore will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 2

Past 30 Days: 6

All Time: 81