Why do I have so much "OTHER" Memory

I was transferring iPhone 6's from my phone to my Mac, and as I was looking through my phone's information in the computer's iTunes, I saw that around 5.5 of by 16 gigabytes of storage was taken up by "Other" information. I take a lot of pictures/videos, and memory limits are a problem for me. What is this "Other" stuff? Do I need it? If I don't, is there any easy way to get rid of it? Thanks!

Jack “Other” storage simply includes everything that doesn’t fit into iTunes’ pre-existing categories. It includes downloaded data for your Apps, your Safari browser cache, the Mail app’s cache, as well as other stuff. this should get rid of the "Other" stuff. Back up up your iPhone on iTunes first, then go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Erase All Content. Then connect your iPhone to iTunes and restore from backup.

Jack will be eternally grateful.