Acer's 15.6 inch E5-571 series laptop manufactured in 2014.

How do I reconfigure the 3.5mm audio socket?

Originally, every time I plugged anything into the audio jack socket, I got a popup asking me if I wanted to use it as an Input jack, or an Output jack. Back then, I *always* used it for output, so I selected an option that said, Always use it for output.

That was a couple of years ago.

Now, I want to reconfigure it so it asks me each time, but I cannot find where to do this.

*HELP!!* :)

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

I had the same problem, and on my laptop, I solved it. I hope this is helpful to anybody else.

Just plug out and in again your mini-jack. A menu pops up, allowing you to select your device:

Line in

Mic in

headphone

speaker out

headset

I selected MIC IN

Then go to Windows settings and type SOUND

Another window pops up :SOUND

goto page RECORDING, there you will find your choices: in my case:

MICROPHONE ARRAY

STEREO MIX

HDMI

dobble click on MICROPHONE ARRAY

Microphone array properties pop up

select page LISTEN

tick the box LISTEN TO THIS DEVICE

APPLY

OK

The same way I can switch to HDMI sound input

I hope it works with you.

Yes. your answer was the one I was looking for! Thank you

Search for "Realtek" in the windows start menu, it should give you a result for your audio manger software.

On the right hand side of the software should be a series of coloured "buttons" double click on the one that isn't shaded pale a menu should appear, a window will pop up, I think this is where you can change your setting.

If not:

There is also the "Sound" software in windows that might have the option.

If none of that works you can always uninstall your audio drivers and reinstall them, that will reset the settings.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks Conor, but I'm afraid this didn't work. The Windows Start Search did not find Realtek, even though that software is installed. The Sounds feature has various inputs for devices, but nothing about configuring what happens with that 3.5mm jack socket.

I still need HELP, folks! :)

Hi @philiptory , Is there a 'properties' option for a playback or a recording device in Control Panel > Sounds that has a jack option setting? Select the device by clicking on it

Try opening it manually then, by going to C:/Program Files/Realtek/Audio/HDA and opening the RAVCpl64.exe

Hello JayEff, I tried looking through the properties of everything in there. There were a couple of places where the jack was shown, but no option to select or de-select anything. Anyway, it is now working, although I cannot say why.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted!

Philip T, Gloucester, UK

Phlip Tory will be eternally grateful.