line down middle of page only during scanning on scanned document

when scanning a B&W document I get a black line to the middle left of my scans on each scanned page. If scanning colour it is a light yellow/gold line

only occurs with scanning

Does it also occur when copying?

Does it occur when using the printer's control panel or when scanning using the computer?

It is occurs in all the above are you scanning the document using the ADF or laying it on the flat platen glass?

If using the ADF, lift the cover and try cleaning the glass and the 'strip' at the end of the glass below the ADF. It only takes a speck of dirt, grime etc to create the line in the scan.

Do not use household cleaners etc to clean the area. Use a lint free cloth lightly moistened with plain water. You don't want any excess liquid entering the printer.

When satisfied, scan or copy a plain sheet of paper through to see if the spot has been removed.

If using the platen glass ensure that the glass surface is also clean from marks etc.

Hopefully this is of some help.

It occurs only with scanning. I always use the ADF. It never occurs when printing or copying whether flat bed or ADF and I have tried cleaning as you suggested.

also meant to say, its not a spot, its a very straight line approx 2/3rd of the way across the page going down the page vertically and matches what appears to be a thin copper ribbon on the inside of the glass platten

A spot in the scanning area for the ADF will create a line as the paper travels through the ADF.

However, I'm a bit concerned that it also doesn't happen when copying as the 'hardware' function is the same, its the software that makes it different.

When copying, the 'scanned' information is only stored long enough to reproduce the image. With scanning the information is stored in the printer until you decide what to do with it. You might be given options to email it or to send it to a folder in the pc etc.

Have you tried to reset the printer to default setting at all, just to 'clear' any data that may be being held, or even unplugging it from the power, pressing the power button for 10 seconds and then plugging in and powering it up again.

This last procedure is also known as a power reset and can sometimes be quite effective, as it drains any residual power from the device, hopefully restoring it to a default condition.

wal will be eternally grateful.