2.3L 4cyl or 3.0L V6, 6th Generation

auto transmission slipping in upper gears

trying to find out steps to do auto trani fluid flush for this car see if I can prolong it's life can't locate manual

Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.

Strike Force Heroes 3, Happy Wheels, Happy Wheels 3, Happy Wheels 4

I did transmission flush but my car still slips when it's going into maybe 3rd

My car can only shift manually and the fluid level keeps changing and it also loops rpms go up and down on there own, shifts real hard.

Most Helpful Answer

I do not think that a tranny flush will resolve your issues or even prolong the inevitable (to have your tranny rebuild) A filter change and fluid change may helpa bit but again :( Here are some other possibilities. There are many causes of automatic transmission slipping as the system itself is quite complex in its make up. Here are some of the prime automatic transmission slipping causes.

Torque Converter Malfunction

Modern automatic transmission systems are hydraulic in nature and the power for driving the transmission comes through the torque converter. It is the torque converter which pressurizes the transmission fluid and provides hydraulic power to shift gears. A malfunctioning torque converter, with a reduced pressurizing capacity can be one of the main causes of automatic transmission slipping.

Transmission Band Problems

For the proper working of an automatic transmission unit, it is vital that the transmission bands are adjusted well. If they are not, gears can slip out of place and cause the transmission to slip.

Worn Out Gears of Transmission

Gears which have worn out along with warn out transmission bands can be the prime causes of a slipping transmission. Warn out gears do not engage properly causing the transmission to slip.

Drop in Level of Transmission Fluid

One of the common reasons of slipping in automatic transmission is inadequate levels of transmission fluid which adversely affects gear functioning and its shifting leading to slipping.

To change the fluid in an automatic transmission you usually need a transmission fluid exchange machine. Unfortunately, these are rather expensive for the average person, so I recommend going to a mechanic for an automatic transmission flush. My understanding is that transmission flushes should be done around every 60,000 miles or every 5 years. However, new cars with synthetic fluid may be recommending every 100,000 miles or 10 years

Manual transmissions are another story and it is usually very easy to change the fluid in them yourself.

To everybody that thinks your tranny has failed please check your lock up sensor there is 2 filters on it if its clogged it will cause transmission slipping due to not getting enough tranny flued to torque converter

Brandon is right, also check to see if your throttle position sensor has a flat spot, but to do this you need to go hook it up to a lab scope and see if you have any glitches or drop outs, this can cause shifting problems and is commonly overlooked

Thank you good information to know

You may want to google the recalls on the accord, Honda was offering compensation for the transmission and other parts up to a certain amount of miles.

difficult to engage

automatic transmission gear is difficult to engage some times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MQsVuUOK6C...

You need to replace worn out gears too if there is noise while driving in high speeds.

My 2002 Honda Torneo keep jumping when I'm moving off

Step one of transmission diagnosis is fluid level and condition. See your owners manual for how to check it.

There's a maint interval listed in the same manual, hopefully youve been following it. If not, bring it up date.

Changing the fluid with the correct fluid listed in the manual usually never hurts unless your tranny is totally worn out (and near death anyway).

If general, I prefer to drop the pan and change the pan gasket (and maybe the filter depending on the vehicle). Dropping the pan allows you totally wipe the dirt out of it, and they fluid usually comes out a lot cleaner than it does with a flush.

I suggest asking oldturkey03 where the "band adjustment" is on your accord tranny (sarcasm). That guy has no business giving advice. He just googled some crap. Check elsewhere on the net, iatn.net or honda and accord forums for more accurate info (or ask a real honda expert). These 98-2005 accord V6 are known for tranny probs.

Oldturkey should also tell you how many torque converters that he's seen go bad, because in all my years as a mechanic i've never had to replace one.

My Honda academy 2002 model off when the forward gear is selected but doesn't off when the reverse gear is selected

i was told the control modulator

Was external on the transmission

Is this true....on a 2000 honda acccord.

Christy Guinn will be eternally grateful.