Repair and disassembly guides for Brother printers.

Reset replace toner error

Hi!

Does anyone know how to override the replace toner error on this new HL-L5100DN version of Brother laser printer? The toner is only a month old!

Much appreciated!

Kenneth

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

Found the answer! This solution will work for most of this type of printer (with an electronic instead of physical power switch and a button that says 'Secure').

Ensure that the 'data' pending light is not flashing.

Open the top lid of the printer and leave ajar.

Press both the “Secure” and “X Cancel” buttons together. Hold them together if needed.

In the case of the HL-L5100DN, just press 'OK' on the first item listed 'TNR-STR'

Or use the arrow keys to select the cartridge model you would like to reset and press “OK”.

Press the UP arrow '+' to select 'Reset' of the the cartridge.

Once reset is selected you will see “ACCEPTED” on the screen.

Phew! I can print again.

Kenneth

Thank you, thank you. It worked!

Thanks, I was just about to throw this out the window !!!!

It doesn't exactly work like this: you need to press *first* on "Secure", *then* press "Cancel" while maintaining "Secure" pressed. If you do press both at the same time it says something about missing data and it does not show the toner reset menu.

Love,

Albert

Thank you for saving me and my colleague from literally ripping our hair out as this actually works !!!

Here's how I reset the toner error message on my Brother HL-5200DW printer:

1. Open the front door & leave open

2. Press the back button until "Machine Info" appears on the display

3. Hold the "Cancel" and "Secure" buttons simultaneously

4. Use up/down to select the appropriate toner cartridge

5. "Ok" button

6. Hit the up arrow to perform the reset

7. Close the door and print!

I hope this helps people!

ALTERNATIVELY there is a manual switch that tells the printer you have a new toner in there. On the left side of the toner there’s part of a black circle, it’s like 3 slices of a pie left, if you will, and if you turn that all the way counter-clockwise the printer will believe it’s a new toner cartridge. You have to sometimes pull the circle/knob toward you a little to get it to turn. There is a little arm off on one part of the circle — you’ll know when you see it— it needs to be spun until it’s pointing in between the two notches to the top of the circle, at like 12 and 1 o’clock

Kenneth will be eternally grateful.