Apple announced the Retina MacBook 2015, model A1534, on March 9, 2015 to launch on April 10. It has a new unibody construction and includes an updated trackpad, keyboard, and Retina display.

Black Screen - External monitor works

Hi all,

I have a MacBook 13 inch Retina from mid 2015 (MB PRO 13.3" RETINA 2.7 GHZ I5 - 256GB // 16GB ). My issues started slowly - after turning on the MacBook the screen stayed black. After a hard shutdown (power button for some seconds) and starting again, everything has been fine...

Some days later the screen stayed black again. Same procedure as before - everything worked again.

My problem is that the number of times that the screen stays black became more and more. Now, about 30 to 40 hard resets are needed to have a working screen.

If I light the screen from behind by a flashlight, I can see a picture.

External screens do work fine.

Do you have any idea, what could be the problem?

I did several SMC and PRAM resets - they didn't help.

I am really desperate - such an expensive machine just won't be useful anymore?!

Thanks for your support!

Martin

Hi all,

I have been very lucky as the online shop where I bought the MacBook repaired it for free. They exchanged the display, the top case and the logic board. Now it's like new and works perfectly.

Thank you all for your help and advices!

Martin

Most Helpful Answer

Try to re-seat the display cable going to the logic board. Do you use it in a very dusty environment?

If reseating the cable doesn't work it sounds like it would be a new Display being that it is working on an external monitor.

Yes, unfortunately I think that would be the only option :(

Hi, thank you for the comments!

I have some update. When I hold a flashlight at the apple logo on the back of the display I can see video. This tells me that 'only' the backlight is a problem - not video itself.

I was told by a small repair studio that the backlight fuse is corrupt. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue? Are the costs for this almost the price for a new macbook?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi, reseating the display cable did not work. I don't use the macbook in a dusty environment.

Take pictures of near the LCD connector to see if it is burnt, do you have a multimeter?

Try reconnecting the LCD cable from both the logic board side and the screen side (follow up to 8:25 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLNUjeUL...). If this has happened with no cause, 90% of the time this will resolve your issue. Also, check the backlight cable screen side too, this may be disconnected (right next to LCD cable). Check the screen PCB for any liquid ingress.

Visually inspect the pins on the LCD cable and logic board LCD connector, to check for any melted plastic or burnt pins. Remove the logic board and check it for liquid damage, clean with 95%+ isopropyl if present.

If none of the above works, the logic board will be at fault and will need to be diagnosed. Can point you in the right direction if you have the tools and experience to microsolder, and have the required schematic and board view for your particular logic board. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, your best option would be to send it to a repair shop who have the tools and experience required to do this.

Hi all,

Martin

martin.joos will be eternally grateful.