Wi-Fi only variant of the fifth generation of iPad, released in March 2017. Available with 32 and 128 GB storage options featuring a 9.7" Retina display and 64-bit A9 processor.

The big one, is the Air 1 digitizer cross-compatible?

Is the Touch ID hole a similar size to be able to replace the digitizer with an iPad Air glass? Please let it be so!

This should be fun...the Chinese suppliers have already been calling the iPad Air (1) the iPad 5. We will now have to be extra careful when ordering parts.

@refectio Some of the parts are the same, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Most Helpful Answer

Same touch panel connections apparently however the Touch ID button is reported to be slightly bigger, so old panels won't be able to fit a new button.

Has this been confirmed yet? i have a customer wanting to come in for a repair and i dont want him to lose the touch id portion. thanks in advance

I am yet to get my hands on one for repair. If I do, I will update you on this. I am also ordering parts so I will compare once they arrive to test.

The button is the same size. Flex home goes through the same site (take care when dismantling)

Your question is a liftle confusing but for the the iPad Air 1st generation digitizer has connection that are different from all other model. This is not cross compatible unlike the iPad 3/4. The Touch ID is also different flex cables between each model. Let me know if I misunderstood your question. Hope this helps.

Yes, I was referring to the new iPad "5" which seems to be an upgrade to the iPad Air as the iPhone SE was an upgrade to the 5s, with most parts being cross compatible. Is the screen from the iPad Air cross compatible with the new iPad "5"?

Yes. Compatible ^^ Checked today

Hello Caleb - I ran into a similar situation here within the 1st few weeks of a new iPad. Long story short, the A1474 digitizer is compatible, but the button is not. The touch ID is synced with the ribbon and the mother board. The older iPad Air (A1474) button is not recognized by the newer iPad A1822. If the button is damaged there is no way to repair it at this point. The best you can do is not to tamper with it and return it to either Apple or an authorized repair shop for a new machine which will cost $249 if still under warranty. You can find those locations here: https://locate.apple.com/ As soon as it has been worked on, the warranty will be voided and you will not be able to receive the discount. When a solution for the button goes onto market, then it may be worth repairing this independently. Hope this helps!

Chad Penewell will be eternally grateful.