Does not change channels with the remote

When I enter a channel change, the tv does not indicate any numbers on the screen. To change channels, i need to go t o the guide and select the new channel.

My remote will not change channels but will work on volume and turn tv off.

Hi @ David Leatherwood,

Did you test all the remote's buttons with a digital camera as outlined in the answer below, to see which worked and which didn't?

What was the result?

If all the buttons work on the camera test, the IR receiver in your TV may be faulty.

What is the make and model number of your TV?

Hi my remote will mute an turn to on an off but won't work volume or turn channels what do I eo

Hi @jfox1980 ,

Did you test the remote using the procedure outlined in the "Chosen Solution" below?

Apple Watch Kits

Screen and battery repairs just got easier.

Apple Watch Kits

Are you using the numbers on the remote to select the desired channel or the channel scroll button i.e. channel up channel down?

Do the other 'popular' buttons (most used) on the remote such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Mute etc. work OK?

If it is only the Channel Up/Down button that is not working, you can use either a digital camera or the camera app in a mobile phone to test it.

Point the remote at the camera (or phone) and then look at it through the display screen of the camera (or mobile phone). Press a button on the remote and you should see a flashing light at the end of the remote. Try a few buttons to see which ones work and which ones don't.

Because the Channel Up/Down is one of the 'popular' (most used) buttons on a remote the button's contacts either get dirty or lose their conductivity.

Here is a link to a video, which shows the principle of how to clean the contacts in a remote control unit. It is not your particular unit that is shown so the method of opening may be slightly different. Once open the cleaning is the same.

Kevin Mack will be eternally grateful.