Repair guides and support for motorcycles manufactured by Yamaha Motor Company.

Starting problem possibly electrical?

My 2000 Road Star 1602 has had a problem for many years now.

The thing won't start until the speedo sweep has finished and the yellow light does a faint blink.

I have taken the cover off of the decompression assembly, and it doesn't activate until the faint blink.

It cranks pretty good considering the decompression spoon isn't activated for a time!

I've read the manual and have checked all of the electronic connections.

I suspected the ignition unit since the schematic shows a direct connection between it and the decompression unit. Replaced it with 2 other units to no avail.

Any clue where to look next?

The battery, starter, starter solenoid and rectifier have been changed.

Most Helpful Answer

It sounds like the same problem I had with my 2005 Yamaha Vstar. Come to find out it was a grounding problem on my tail light. I looked through the schematics for my bike and found out that every light on the bike is connected to one ground wire. I fix that situation by grounding every light socket that I had. That would be a good place to check because your speedo did a sweep and your tail lights dim light blink. That sounds like it's a electrical issue or a ground problem. Hope this helps.

Same situation I check everything electrical except for the ground.

As it turns out, it was the throttle position sensor that was screwing it up. I put a new one on and it starts like new now.

Good deal. Search online for a repair manual and go here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha...

This place has detailed information to locate the parts when you work on your bike. I don't like to pay mechanics that work on my bike. I do it all myself.

Chrome up, rubber down.

Mike will be eternally grateful.