iPhone 6s went swimming with me...any hope?

Not much to say...I forgot it was in my pocket and I jumped in the pool with my iPhone 6s. Lost about 8 months of photos of my little toddlers that I would really love to recover. I was stupid and didn't have automatic iCloud photo backup activated.

I sent the phone to two different shops for repair (www.ifixyouri.com and www.ubreakifix.com), both were unsuccessful. I'm a little untrusting of the services since they charge $10 even if they can't fix it. Could possibly be doing nothing and just collecting $10 from customers.

Should I attempt disassembly, alcohol soak, cleaning, and new battery...or is it highly likely the thing is a brick?

Thanks for any info.

@ax75f92 you said that"both were unsuccessful" but did not tell us with what. Data recovery? Getting your phone to turn on? So what did they do?

You need to send your phone to a shop that specializes in water damage and micro-soldering repairs. The places you sent your device to are more focussed on screen and parts replacement. There's nothing wrong with that but once they have "cleaned" your device, they really can't do much if it isn't something simple like a screen or a battery.

Water damaged phones almost always require micro-soldering repairs because of the corrosion. Often times it is occurring beneath the shields and IC's even though it was "cleaned". Heavily oxidized and defective electronic components must be replaced. A proper decontamination requires that the shields be removed from the logic board, that it be cleaned in a lab-grade ultrasonic cleaner with special chemicals. Some shops just take IPA and a toothbrush and call it a day.

There is also a strong possibility that the phone itself is not economically recoverable. In those instances, the strategy is to focus on getting it booting enough to extract the data. I personally offer those services, as do a few other active contributors on this forum. You can check my profile and do some research but the longer you wait, the less chance you have at recovering data.

Ax75f92 will be eternally grateful.