ZTE Zmax Pro: black screen/glowing home button, won't even vibrate

I have a ZTE Zmax Pro. This is the second phone of this exact model that I've had in the last 4 months, and they both have had the EXACT same flaw. I returned the last one because I thought it was just some manufacturing issue with that particular phone... apparently not.

The phone has randomly decided that it will not unlock or turn on. There is no red light, there is no FTM screen, and there is no android system recovery screen. I can't find anyone with this exact problem anywhere, but it's happened to me twice with two different phones! The screen is completely black aside from the slowly pulsating home button. I've tried charging it regularly, charging it through a computer as suggested, I've tried every single button combination there is, and it won't even so much as vibrate.

I didn't drop it. I keep it far from any moisture. The buttons aren't stuck. The battery was at an 87% charge when the screen went black, and it didn't seem to actually shut down (it looked as though it just locked like normally), so I doubt it's just got a broken charge port like some comments are suggesting.

Please help. I can't afford a third phone. :(

I'm on my 2ndphone in 2 weeks not happy

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!! I was about to freak out as I JUST bout this phone after trouble with my last one. My zte zmax pro just did this same thing and i trued every number of buttons suggested exactly as suggested to reset it and nthing. Then press and hold for 30 seconds worked. Thank the lord

Omg the same thing happened to me. Twice. In fact the 2nd time just happened as in posting this from my tablet. The first time it happened I had fallen asleep and had my phone on the floor near me (I fell asleep on the couch lol). I got up and went to check the time and the screen was black but the home button was slowly glowing so I knew it wasnt dead. I tried everything from trying to turn it off to charging it for an hour and got nothing. I took it in and just got this new phone of the exact same model 4 days ago and it just went black while charging. I do not understand why because I havent dropped either phone or got any sort of damage on it whatsoever. Its very frustrating because when I took the first one in, the replacement came in but we received no notification and I didn't have a phone for 12 days.

OMG... I have been going crazy for the pass hour. My phone did the exact same thing and I was about to go crazy. I spent 30 minutes trying to google how to fix it. THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH

Thank you so much ashleydye26! ...and yes "Praise God!"

Return this one as well.

It should also be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Even the remainder of the warranty on the original phone purchase should still be valid, given that you have had both phones no longer than 4 months. Verify the purchase date on the sales receipt or proof of purchase document for the phone to be sure.

If the seller won't help, consult the warranty statement contained in the documentation that came with the phone as to what to do to make a claim for a warranty repair or replacement.

If you can't find it then search online for ZTE ZMax Pro warranty for your country.

I'm having the same problem, too. I can't afford a second, either. All we have to do is suffer together I guess

Hi @beanie,

Is it still covered by the manufacturer's warranty period? If not how far past is it? If it is only over by a month I suggest that you still contact ZTE customer support and express your disappointment in the product failing so soon and politely ask if there is anything that they can do to help. It never hurts to ask. The worst that they can say is no and you will be no worse off.

Jayeff, it's questions like these that make warranties useless.

Hi @pccheese ,

Why George?

At least with a warranty, you have some recourse in the event of a manufacturing problem.

Can you imagine what it would be like if there were none?

Unfortunately it appears that some countries' consumer protection laws are not as good as others and naturally manufacturers are only going to do as much as they have to, to comply with the legal requirements of the country where their products are available. (not talking about ZTE, just warranties in general)

Oops, phrased that wrong. I ment to say that so many people are ignorant of warranties. What's the point of including one if no one knows about them?

Most Helpful Answer

So I tried multiple times and this very last time, I held the power button for about 20 - 30 seconds and my phone restarted and is now working properly. So try that if you're still having problems. If that doesn't work then I don't know how to help you. But yeah, hold it for 30 seconds or until it restarts.

Thank you!!!!!!l I was just about to give up.

I thought I held it down before for 30 seconds but after reading your comment I tried again and counted slowly. Mini heart attack avoided. My phones only less than 3 months old too. I wonder if the big update, a week ago had caused this issue

I'm happy to have helped you! So glad your phone is working again. Come to think of it, it could very much be the update. If it is, hopefully they do another update to fix it.

this happen to me as well. thank you.

That actually worked on my phone as well!! POS phone, it has been nothing but trouble. This is my second phone and the other one had the same problem. Thanks guys!!

Thank you, it worked for me as well.

My mom's phone was having this exact issue. I searched for a solution and found this website but no answers. I finally figured it out, for all those suffering-

PRESS AND HOLD BOTH VOLUME KEYS SIMULTANEOUSLY FOR 20 -30 SECONDS OR UNTIL THE HOME BUTTON STOPS FLASHING AND STAYS LIT. THEN RELEASE AND PRESS THE POWER BUTTON. Your phone should boot up like normal.

Yes! That worked! I was beginning to get nervous! Thank you so much!

thanks, spent two hours on phone with customer service and nothing, this did the trick, you're awesome!

Thanks, this did the trick!!

Worked for me. The pulsating home button never stayed lit, but the rate of the pulse slowed down. Pressing the power button on the back then launched the OS

I held the power button down for a while and it finally came on!!!! Thank Goodness!! I was about to give up!!!!

Thanks.....Worked like a charm.

My phone randomly shut off and restarted, I have a lock on it so you have to put in a pin before you can turn the phone on entirely. I put the pin on and it says "android starting" and proceeds to the "metro PCs" screen as usual. But then it gets stick on that screen. I have reset the phone multiple times by holding the power button down ext and it will restart with the same results. Any help?

Just solved this same problem. The battery is completely dead. I had to use a power bank to provide power fast enough to turn the phone on into recovery. I then wiped the cache and data partitions and factory reset it. It would then start to boot and turn off after a few seconds as if the power button was being held. I was able to get pass this by continuously pressing/releasing the power button. It turns out that there was a short in the power button and would shut the phone off and try to turn it back on immediately, completely draining the battery even with the charger attached. Even with the power bank attached, the phone continued to power cycle, but the power bank provided enough power fast enough to allow the phone to keep cycling until the short resolved. It was probably due to some water getting into the power button after applying a soft screen protector.

I droped my phone n sum water and now ma phone home button keep flashing when i charge it and it turn on with the Zte android screen then it gets to the metro pcs screen then it turns off and go right back to the Zte android screen what do i do

did you end up solving the problem? My phone fell in water too and the screen is just black and i've tried everything the people above said and my phone is still the same :/

This is my 2nd phone also and both phones have done this. The 1st one worked holding the volume down and power button at the same time. This phone I had to use the hold all 3 buttons until home button quit blinking then hit the power button. Not the only problem with this phone and wish I never bought it. Now that LG Stylo 3 has 32gig internal memory I will be going that phone. Metro won't replace it again and neither will ZTE.

Ik how to fix that $@$* hmu 5029079494

Had same problem 2 days later picked up phone just tapped power b

i held down the volume up and volume down and power button....for about 10 seconds. then let go of the volume up button. that got it into FTM mode, from there i just long pressed power button which reset it into normal mode

toastedrupees3119 will be eternally grateful.