The first Android smartphone from Google, the Pixel XL (Model Number: G-2PW2100) was launched October 20, 2016. It has a 5.5-inch AMOLED display, 3450 mAh battery, and 32 or 128 GB storage options.

Whats the best way to clean and maintain the USB-C port?

Love my Pixel XL, but I've had issues with the USB-C port getting dirt and fluff stuck in it etc... What is the best way to clean this without damaging any components, and also any advice on keeping it clean.

@frobert , Robert, Use canned compressed air to blow the dust from port( if need be, carefully pick lint out with tooth pick) and then cover port with a small piece of tape to keep clean. Remove and reapply tape when required or you may be able to purchase USB-C Dust Plugs as seen in the link below . Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

https://www.amazon.com/PortPlugs-Pairs-U...

I used a sliver of plastic cut from a clamshell blister pack as a pick to remove compacted lint from my USB C, but yeah a wooden tooth-pick is thin enough would also work.

I agree with the toothpick answer, most of the dust in my port is so compacted that compressed air wouldn't even touch it. I just carefully inserted the toothpick while making sure to hold it against the outside edge and once I reached the bottom of the port (the point furthest in) I gently applied pressure and an insane amount of dust and dirt came out. My port works like new again, I thought the click when it plugged in just wore down, it was just so full of dirt it couldn't reach the point where it "clicked" in.

I used a saftey pin I found toothpicks to b counterproductive with getting wood stuck

I had to use a metal safety pin to clean out mine. The lent was so compacted it was about as solid as a rock. I vigorously grinded the inside of the port with the pin and was finally able to get fast charging back.

there is a risk of short circuit if you probe the port with a metal object. but I suspect that the manufacturer has mitigated this in the design.

This. This helped me so much. Once I heard somebody else has already used a safety pin, I was not scared anymore. 30 minutes later with a half a pound of dust, hair and general fuzz (found some glitter in there too) my safety pin started snapping in, the job was done, sure enough it charges perfectly, holds on to the cable nice and tight, hopefully transfers data again. Thank You!

I had an old banana sitting in the bottom of my backpack after a long weekend. When I set out for work, placed my MacBook Pro on top of the squishy, and ultimately leaky, banana directly into the usb ports of the laptop. Then I made matters worse, since I didn't realize where the goo came from etc, so I just plugged the cord right into the port. After realizing the connection wasn't working I pressed really hard. You get the idea, but it wasn't good. :)

The solution for me was to (1) use a toothpick to remove any of the major debris (see above) and then (2) use a toothbrush to remove the little bits remaining. For the tooth brush, I was methodical about keeping a high but acute angle. I worked at cleaning the ports for maybe 3 minutes or so each? I blew everything out and it works like a champ and the port is super clean and all my devices plug into and work flawlessly.

I hope that's helpful as a nother approach.

I am watching a stray strawberry ooze out of my macbook pro right now, so thanks for the toothbrush idea. I'm going to add isopropyl to the mix because I, too, made matters worse by plugging something in.

Had the same problems with Samsung S8 it would only slow charge (6hrs+ from low battery). I found using the tip of a 2in zip tie worked brilliantly. I was shocked how much lint came out of it.

thanks. worked for me.

I also used a Zip tie (Cable tie), I think I got most of the lint out of my galaxy S8 and it charges OK but perhaps not quiet fully in yet. I understood the galaxy S8 was dust and waterproof and was sad ti find dust in the port.

To clean out my S8 PLus I folded a piece of laminated paper in half, 45 degree and from the corner. leaving a pointy corner with a scope. two swipes on each side and I could see the shiney bottom of the port. Works great now!!!!

Robert French will be eternally grateful.