The first Android smartphone from Google, the Pixel XL (Model Number: G-2PW2100) was launched October 20, 2016. It has a 5.5-inch AMOLED display, 3450 mAh battery, and 32 or 128 GB storage options.

31 Questions View all

Whats the best way to clean and maintain the USB-C port?

Love my Pixel XL, but I've had issues with the USB-C port getting dirt and fluff stuck in it etc... What is the best way to clean this without damaging any components, and also any advice on keeping it clean.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 8
Add a comment
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12

11 Answers

Chosen Solution

@frobert , Robert, Use canned compressed air to blow the dust from port( if need be, carefully pick lint out with tooth pick) and then cover port with a small piece of tape to keep clean. Remove and reapply tape when required or you may be able to purchase USB-C Dust Plugs as seen in the link below . Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

https://www.amazon.com/PortPlugs-Pairs-U...

Was this answer helpful?

Score 11

Comments:

I used a sliver of plastic cut from a clamshell blister pack as a pick to remove compacted lint from my USB C, but yeah a wooden tooth-pick is thin enough would also work.

by

I'm a general contractor doing industrial cleaning. I work with a variety of products and chemicals including asphalt. My phone case doesn't protect my USB-C port so I have asphalt build up in there. I've tried toothpicks and safety pins and compressed air and many other things with little success. I normally use solvents like mineral spirits and WD-40 to dissolve asphalt when cleaning but I'm hesitant to pour solvents in my USB port. I'm about to just try it anyway. Any thoughts on the matter? Also, the asphalt had been transferred to all of my charger cords. My main question is "Will pouring solvents into my USB port short circuit anything or permanently mess anything up?"

by

You might want to use a tooth pick or zip tie and just spray wd 40 on those real light and stick in and clean .

Just enough to dissolve the asphalt film . Then take a small artist Brush and sick it in there give it a spin .

Not sure it will work for you ? But did clean mine pretty good . I’m a painter and I get all sorts of crap in the port .

Now I have a defender ph case on and it has a rubber plug protecting the port . Best thing I have done to protect my ph .

by

Add a comment

I agree with the toothpick answer, most of the dust in my port is so compacted that compressed air wouldn't even touch it. I just carefully inserted the toothpick while making sure to hold it against the outside edge and once I reached the bottom of the port (the point furthest in) I gently applied pressure and an insane amount of dust and dirt came out. My port works like new again, I thought the click when it plugged in just wore down, it was just so full of dirt it couldn't reach the point where it "clicked" in.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 7

Comments:

I used a saftey pin I found toothpicks to b counterproductive with getting wood stuck

by

Add a comment

I had to use a metal safety pin to clean out mine. The lent was so compacted it was about as solid as a rock. I vigorously grinded the inside of the port with the pin and was finally able to get fast charging back.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4

Comments:

there is a risk of short circuit if you probe the port with a metal object. but I suspect that the manufacturer has mitigated this in the design.

by

This. This helped me so much. Once I heard somebody else has already used a safety pin, I was not scared anymore. 30 minutes later with a half a pound of dust, hair and general fuzz (found some glitter in there too) my safety pin started snapping in, the job was done, sure enough it charges perfectly, holds on to the cable nice and tight, hopefully transfers data again. Thank You!

by

Add a comment

I had an old banana sitting in the bottom of my backpack after a long weekend. When I set out for work, placed my MacBook Pro on top of the squishy, and ultimately leaky, banana directly into the usb ports of the laptop. Then I made matters worse, since I didn't realize where the goo came from etc, so I just plugged the cord right into the port. After realizing the connection wasn't working I pressed really hard. You get the idea, but it wasn't good. :)

The solution for me was to (1) use a toothpick to remove any of the major debris (see above) and then (2) use a toothbrush to remove the little bits remaining. For the tooth brush, I was methodical about keeping a high but acute angle. I worked at cleaning the ports for maybe 3 minutes or so each? I blew everything out and it works like a champ and the port is super clean and all my devices plug into and work flawlessly.

I hope that's helpful as a nother approach.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

I am watching a stray strawberry ooze out of my macbook pro right now, so thanks for the toothbrush idea. I'm going to add isopropyl to the mix because I, too, made matters worse by plugging something in.

by

Lol you guys just see fruit puree on your macbooks and think "hm wonder where that came from, oh well, I'll still plug $@$* into it."

by

Add a comment

Had the same problems with Samsung S8 it would only slow charge (6hrs+ from low battery). I found using the tip of a 2in zip tie worked brilliantly. I was shocked how much lint came out of it.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

thanks. worked for me.

by

Zip tie is perfect, just make you have one that's thin enough (in thickness, not width) to fit between the tab and outer housing without bending the tab. Also I cut mine lengthwise so it would have a sharp edge to pick the lint out better. It clicks again on insertion like it's brand new.

by

Add a comment

This was an excellent thread to find.

My Pixel 2 had been getting very stubborn about charging on the Technical Lego dock I made for it after failing to find a reliable rapid charge dock.

Toothpick seemed too big - maybe UK ones are different. Folded laminate nearly worked but bit too flexible to apply enough pressure, wrong kind of plastic I guess.

A skinny cable tie fitted perfectly down each side of the “tongue” bit and once trimmed with scissors to give it a sharp point it lifted out loads of rubbish.

I didn’t know the bottom of the port was shiny until now!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

I also used a Zip tie (Cable tie), I think I got most of the lint out of my galaxy S8 and it charges OK but perhaps not quiet fully in yet. I understood the galaxy S8 was dust and waterproof and was sad ti find dust in the port.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

To clean out my S8 PLus I folded a piece of laminated paper in half, 45 degree and from the corner. leaving a pointy corner with a scope. two swipes on each side and I could see the shiney bottom of the port. Works great now!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

I just cleaned a Macbook Pro USB-C ports. They had coffee spilled over them and no one noticed so it dried up into a sticky gunk. I used a sewing needle, cotton, alcohol and compressed air.

Dissolved the gunk with the alcohol, collected it with the cotton by dragging it around with the needle and finally dried it with the compressed air.

Worked like a charm. Both ports back in business.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Got the *click* back after using a toothpick to clean mine out.

Whitling the toothpick to a fin shape helps too - a regular toothpick has too wide of a cross-section.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

A single staple straightened out works wonders!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Robert French will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 254

Past 7 Days: 1,885

Past 30 Days: 8,191

All Time: 76,896