"The worlds smallest 15.6-inch laptop packs powerhouse performance and a stunning InfinityEdge display all in Dell's most powerful XPS laptop."

Windows 10 says password is incorrect when it wakes up from Sleep

This morning, I turned on my laptop and entered my password to sign in to Windows 10. Everything was normal as usual. In the noon, I put the laptop to sleep and then I left. After an hour, I resumed it, but Windows 10 said my password is incorrect. I checked my password several times and I’m quite certain it is correct, but the Windows 10 keeps saying the password is incorrect. I tried to restart Windows 10, but it still did not work. Why is this? How can I sign back to my Windows 10 now?

It's possible that you've enabled NumLock or your keyboard input layout was changed. Try to type your password using the on-screen keyboard.

http://www.top-password.com/blog/passwor...

If you use a Microsoft account, make sure the your PC is connected to the Internet while logging in.

I'm on my cell phone and when they send me a code I have to leave the app I'm on

As long as the password you typed doesn’t match the right one, the Windows 10 system will prompt you that password is incorrect. And this is probably caused by different kinds of reasons. So you need to think about and check them one by one.

Step 1: Check whether Windows 10 password is incorrect because of wrong spell

• 1. Whether Caps Lock is enabled but the login password is lowercase
  • 2. If NumLock is opened but the password doesn’t include digital number
  • 3. Have typed wrong characters in password

Step 2: Check whether Windows 10 Microsoft account password has been changed

As we know, even though Microsoft account has been added to Windows 10 logon, you still could change the Windows 10 login password by Microsoft password reset service (https://account.live.com/password/reset). So probably Microsoft account password has been changed but you forgot or didn’t know. At this time, if you cannot remember the new password of Microsoft account, please change it again with Microsoft service or Windows 10 Password Genius.

Step 3: Remove all Windows 10 incorrect passwords

Besides above several tries, actually there is a powerful utility, iSunshare Windows 10 Password Genius that can solve your problem at once. It will remove all Windows 10 passwords, so that you don’t need to think about the right one or waste your time on password check.

I had this problem too. I'm very certain I've checked everything, and the passwork I've entered was correct, but the Window's log in said otherwise.

I suffer this problem occasionally and could not work out why. I have started to track this down recently to when Windows 10 or Microsoft is doing a silent install (which it does too frequently when not active).

When the computer wakes up from power save it wants a Password or PIN but the correct one is not accepted. If you use START:POWER you see that the computer asks for "update and shutdown" or "update and restart". I pick "update and shutdown" and then boot the computer; it now accepts the normal password or PIN to logon as usual.

There is something strange when these silent installs happen in Windows 10 and the computer needs restarting because nothing tells you this after waking up from power save and your computer Password or PIN will not be accepted. This is a really annoying feature in Windows 10

Hello. Have you solved your problem? I think you have to change your password before you can login. If you use a Microsoft account, you can change the password on account.live.com/password/reset. If you use a local account, you have to change the password with a bootable USB flash drive.

http://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/windo...

Thanks for your information, Liana Ross. I changed my password, as you said, and now my problem is resolved.

Try disabling the option to prompt for password when the computer wakes up. To do that go to Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Power Options >> Edit Plan Settings >> Change advanced plan settings >> Change the settings for "Require a password on wakeup" to "No". Then check if you are able to boot to the Desktop.

if you forgot your windows login password, try iseepassword windows password recovery tool to reset your password.

https://www.iseepassword.com/reset-windo...

I had the same problem this morning, couldn't get past the request for password even though my computer is set for no password required and the p/w I did put in I know is the correct one.

My answer in desperation was to do a long push on the power button on my computer and shut it down, wait a minute then a short push on the computer power button to clean start it. Everything came up as normal. In that case, problem solved.

No one mention command prompt method? It is one of the most effective way to reset Windows 10 password though it is a bit tricky. Here are the steps:

Step 1: To get started, you need to open an elevated Command Prompt. In Windows 10, type cmd into the Cortana search box on your taskbar. While in Windows 7 / 8, click the Start button and type cmd in the Search box.

Step 2: Right-click on the Command Prompt from the search result, and then choose “Run as administrator“.

Step 3: At the Command Prompt, you can use the following command to reset your lost password. Substitute user_name in the command below with the name of your Windows admin account, and new_password with the actual new password: net user user_name new_password''italic text''

Step 4: When you receive the message “The command completed successfully“, restart your computer and you can then log in to your admin account with new password. That’s it!

Credit from: https://www.passmoz.com/reset-windows-10...

Cant type anything in the search bar if you cant get access to computer due to pw incorrect so to fix the problem this way would be almost impossible if you cant even log on to windows 10.

I seem to remember that in frustration I just did a long press on the stop button and turned it off for a while then turned it back on and it reset its self.

I had no problems with my brand new 2016 Samsung laptop computer when I bought 2 years ago with any of my passwords.. Now it is Aug 2018 and it says all of my passwords are wrong on it. The one to yahoo, internet explorer,Chrome, my bank, you name it. I have had it into my carrier, and they checked it. No viruses.  I am ready to chuck it.

I recently got notifications to update my password on Windows 10 (latest version and up to date with updates).  I changed the Hotmail password on line which went ok but then when booting my laptop, It would not recognise my Microsoft password. I then changed my  password again Settings/sign in options/password.  This again went ok except booting still does not recognise the new password.   Windows Mail works ok with the new password.  Any ideas how to correct this?  When booting says the password is incorrect, I enter then new password and it then continues to boot ok.  Why is boot still using the old password.

This can be because of a keyboard error. Use the onscreen keyboard which can be activated from the ease of access icon on the login screen. Click on Ease of Access > On Screen Keyboard and enter the correct password using the onscreen keyboard

OK, So I log into windows, well I tried to log into window. It tells me wrong pin and wrong pass. tried multiple time

and the password was visible so I know not user error, here is a problem with windows. Most likely a recent update.

I started having this problem about a week ago. I found that if I click on “I forgot my password” then just close down the box that pops up, I can suddenly log in fine. Making the password visible showed me that for reasons unknown the numbers in my password were showing as if I was holding down the shift key. However the letters in the password were as they were supposed to be. I have no idea why this suddenly started. It’s annoying, but for now I have a work around :/

Sofia Bray will be eternally grateful.