Why is there a spreading black spot on my screen?

I put my phone in the washing machine (I know, I know, but I was super distracted and had thrown it in with the laundry) and got it out before it started (although it was already soaked). I dried it, took off the case, and put it in rice for 24 hours. Now there is a big dark mark at the bottom of my screen along with a white box and it seems to be spreading up my screen? HELP!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...The rice myth kills too many phones!

You are fortunate that your device is not completely disabled but then again, by powering it on, you are accelerating the corrosion (oxydation) process internally. The spot on the display is caused by water. You will have to replace the screen assembly. You should back up your data while you can.

The water is inside the phone, on the logic board and under the shields, even under the IC's. The rice is nowhere near where the water is. So while it may soak up some water vapour, the real problem is the corrosion that is taking place as the water evaporates. The longer you let a phone sit in rice, the more time you are giving corrosion to damage your logic board. The saltier or harder the water is, the more damage will occur.

Here are some things you can do now:

• Open your phone and remove the logic board
  • Inspect the logic board, especially around the connectors and look for corrosion.
  • Inspect both sides of the board. Unfortunately, 80% of the board is covered in shields. That's usually where the damage is occurring.
  • Put your board in a container with >90% isopropyl alcohol and let it sit for a while.
  • Use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and lightly brush away any corrosion you see.
  • Rinse in alcohol and repeat.
  • Let it air dry for a day.
  • Re-assemble and hope for the best.

Your best bet is to find a professional repair shop that does water damage repair. They have access to pro-level ultrasonic baths and specialized cleaners as well as the skills to troubleshoot your board.

The rice is a mything i dropped my phone in the toilet. How? Because I was standing over the toilet and playing a game so distracting that I forgot the toilet was open and then plop in the toilet it went. I tried purring it in rice for a long time and alot of water to this day is in there. That was a waste of time though. Now on this phone there is a huge black spot that grows every second. U have to take out the battery and put it in 90% or higher then let it sit for a couple days.

Then u take it out and dry it, don't worry if it doesn't work for u but when u take it out then put it in a huge bowl of water for 1 day then u dry it. Keep it in a towel with soft feathers on it. Shake it around so the feathers rub it and it gets dry but not on the inside u have to stay away from it for 24hrs exact or it won't work then u have put it back in the phone the reset the phone u don't have to delete the emails and stuff just reboot it and it should work without the black spot. If it works u got lucky but if it didn't then comment or just reboot everything 100 or 24 times

My phone fell in the toilet because of a distracting game. The toilet seat was open and I didn't notice. Rice don't work I tried it or days on 1 phone and nothing happened. Yet this phone has a huge black spot on it and it blocks my games.

This is what u do put it in 90% or higher rubbing alcohol or peroxide. Then u put water in it just a little for 10 days then put it in a dry soft towel or something. Let that sit for 5 days. After that is finished put it back in the phone and reboot it up don't have to delete the data or emailsomething and stuff just reboot it and it should work without the huge black spot.

If this works then ur lucky if it doesn't then u will have to reboot everything on ur phone and also comment that it didn't work.

i dropped my iphone on the floor and there is a black mark what do i do help

Emily Rose will be eternally grateful.