Another VIZIO turns off randomly

I have a VIZIO 42" LED TV, model E422AR, about 3 yrs old (out of warranty). The TV is wall mounted in my bedroom. A few months ago it started randomly 'turning itself off'. By random I mean it might not happen for a few days, then happen several times in the course of a minute. The usual pattern is it happens a few times each evening.

When it happens, there is no picture or sound, the same as if I had manually turned off the TV via the remote, but with one exception: the VIZIO logo on the bezel beneath the screen remains lit, and is 'brighter' than it is normally when the TV is on. Other than the brightly lit logo, the TV appears to be in its normal off/standby state. In fact, if I then press the power button on the remote, the TV turns back on and all is well again (picture and sound) until the next time it decides to randomly turn itself off again.

After doing some hunting around online, I found many other VIZIO customers complaining of similar symptoms, although in most of those cases I the TV either failed completely (wouldn't turn back on), or the user had to unplug the TV, wait 10 or 15 secs, then plug it back in to get the TV working again (I've never had to do that). And no one described their TV's logo as still being lit when the TV failed.

Since most of the failed cases I read about turned out to be a bad power supply board, I went ahead and purchased one online. It was an exact match to mine, right down to the board's manufacturer, part number and rev letter. I went ahead and swapped the boards, powered the TV back on, and within a couple of minutes it failed again with exactly the same symptoms. %#*@.

So at this point I can safely assume that either the problem is *not* the power supply board, or the replacement power supply board I bought online has exactly the same problem as mine (certainly a possibility; I'm sure the board I purchased was used).

I have a hunch that the TV's hardware is ok, that this is some sort of glitch in the firmware. I can imagine there are points in the code where the default action in response to some error condition is to put the TV into the exact same state I'm seeing now. I could test out that theory by reverting back to an earlier firmware level and see if the problem disappears or the symptoms change, but it appears VIZIO offers no way to do that -- not only is there nothing in the TV's menus for loading firmware, but there are no firmware downloads offered on VIZIO's own support site.

I have no service manual or schematics for the TV, so I'm pretty much stuck at the moment.

The problem of course is that I have no way to capture the TV's state at the instant it fails. So checking voltage levels after unplugging the TV and plugging it back in will likely be futile, unless a component is 'on the edge' or out of spec. I could try operating the TV with its back off and, after it fails, leave it plugged in and measure voltages then, but that would be hard to do as the TV is still in daily use.

Because the TV is still in use, any 'try this, try that' type troubleshooting will be painful, as it would mean pulling the TV off the wall, removing the 10,000 screws from the back, testing whatever new steps are suggested, then, short of coming up with an actual fix, reassembling it and remounting it on the wall. So I'm hoping I can get a bit closer to the source of this problem without having to continually open up the TV.

Just an update to my original post:

I was able to locate online a replacement power supply board for my Vizio 42" LED TV (model E422AR). I pulled the back off the TV, removed the old PS board and installed the new one. Everything worked as well as it did before, but the random shutting off problem still occurred. The company I purchased the PS board from were great to work with. They offered me a full refund, or would send me a second board to try, just in case there was something wrong with the one they sent me. I picked option 2 A week later I repeated the process of swapping out my TV's PS board for the new one. Sadly, the problem still occurs.

Here's the thing. I haven't see this problem show up now for almost two months, even though the TV is typically on several hours each day. I don't believe the problem is heat related; there's been plenty of days when the temperature of the room the TV is in topped 80 degrees F. (the vent ports are clean and there's plenty of air flow behind the TV.) I thought this problem might be related to variations in the power line voltage, but my TV is plugged into a UPS (battery), so I doubt that's the cause. I still think this is some sort of firmware bug, but without a way to track firmware updates, there's no way for me to be sure.

Another update to my original post...

It's now been four months since I’ve seen a single reoccurrence of my Vizio TV randomly turning itself off.

Given how frequently this was happening to me before - sometimes several times an hour - it is hard to believe this is simply good luck. I continue to use the TV daily, no less frequently than before.

I’m happy to have the problem gone, but have the uneasy feeling it will be back again eventually.

My only explanation for the problem’s disappearance is that Vizio downloaded and installed a new firmware update on my TV that corrected the problem (I’ve always suspected this problem was either a bug in the firmware or could be corrected in the firmware). I hadn’t been keeping a close watch on my TV’s firmware version number, so it might have changed without me knowing it. Too bad Vizio doesn’t inform you when it installs a new firmware update, or makes visible on the Info screen when the last firmware update was installed. Not such a smart TV after all.

Has anyone else had this or a similar problem simply disappear after a while?

I too have Vizio with the same problem. XVT553SV purchased in Feb 2011 and has done this randomly from the 1st week I had it. Besides being very limited in what capabilities it has, compared to newer updated models, and a couple of hdmi ports that quit working, it has served me well so far. I have it attached to a APC 1400 UPS for protection. Usually this happens out of the blue with no pattern I can discern once every few weeks to a month and lasts for 5 min. I originally was told by Visio it was updating firmware and of course I drank that cool aid. As it is now going on 6 years old I count it as lucky it still works from what I read and hear from others regarding Vizio televisions so I guess I got my moneys worth at this point.

Ohhh, that is really bad....

My TV will stay on for day's but then cut off and stay off for day's. SMMFH

From below:

Ok, so i bought my Vizio d40-d1 one year ago. Dang it. This mind reading weirdo TV shuts off if i get up from chair and move two feet sometimes. This TV is about 14 feet from chair. Laptop nearby. The Vizio is set for no tracking and is not connected to internet. I do sometimes connect laptop to TV via hdmi cord, but not often.

What makes it shut off like that ? No light either. Is something causing that phenomena in anyway related to the router in other room , TV, then laptop, in a line like that. Right, i know it makes no sense but my moving a few feet must disturb something, waves? , in the space around. I was dumb when i bought a smart TV. Miss my old square 700lb bulky TV. O, back in the good 'ol days - yea whatever.

So, anyone notice Vizio turn off when they move in room ?

I have the exact problem obviously on other web sites people have said that Visio has sent people the box to update tvs then u send it back to them and it's all fixed! If it's shutting off for awhile like mine did it for about a week then today it went off entirely. It comes on but shuts off tried all the little tricks but nothing but I did notice that as it turns on the logo comes off and it immediately shuts off even tho the Visio light in front stays on but no power light I've noticed. So seeing how I'm in the middle of a blizzard I am going to call Visio tell them what I read on other web site and see what happens keep u posted!

Most Helpful Answer

My vizio smart tv has been doing this as soon as warranty ran out. But unlike the rest, mine shuts off and shows only faint blue light - no logo . Hit the remote power button and all is well again. This is the third house this tv has been plugged into so voltage issue wouldn't seem to apply here. Since mine sits on a corner unit, I may try the fan thing.

Same here 3years old 40 inch this is the 2nd tv in 6 month

If your tv shuts off randomly, you have something on the same circuit breaker drawing a large current. It's a safety feature cause the tv is not getting the right voltage and thinks it's overheating and shuts off. Mine was doing it until I unplugged my wife's candle warmer from the same circuit and it stopped completely.

i did a factory reset and put in my zip code and it works now

How do you do a factory reset?

Hmm i will try that ...

Check the back of your TV. Are the vent ports clean and free of lint? Lint build up will impede the airflow necessary for the interiors components. Clean them using a dust wand or a can of air. At some point it'll lead to a blown capacitor. That's noted either by a bulge at the top or a brownish substance. If you're handy with a soldering gun is a relatively easy fix. If not, then you would need to replace the board with the blown capacitor.

I want to thank everyone for their comments - whether true or false ,i finally figured out the fix for us...

Factory Reset... it was a bummer to have to reapply my apps and so on ..but so worth NOT having tv shut off randomly...been 3hrs -keeping my fingers crossed for a few days!

Under Settings you will see CEC Settings. Turn off the CEC Function. This will be the root cause off the problem for many people as one of the connected devices is sending an improper CEC signal and causing the TV to turn off.

I've had this option turned off the entire time I've owned my tv and my tv still shuts off occasionally

I tried that ,i only have speaker and dvd player hooked up.tried turning CEC to disable -it still hapoens unhooked chromecast -still happens ,different plug in entirely different grid in home -still happens... WHAT ELSE CAN WE TRY????

So I took mine to a TV Repair shop and it acted just fine but when I got hit home and hooked it up again it started all over. So next time I took it the guy asked me what I was hooking up to the TV and we found that by replacing the HDMI Cable it worked fine.

The person who suggested a wi-fi conflict was right on. We recently had a power outage due to a thunderstorm and the surge completely reset my tp-link router. We finally realized that the problem appeared after the outage. We have ROKU and do not use the smart tv features of the tv, so I disconnected it completely from the network and did a factory reset and, voila, the problem is gone. Everything is back to normal. Hallelujah!

We recently had a small power surge -the condos are replacing power boards ,and after thst a chromecast symbol smfor someone elses kitchen radio started to show up ,i changed those setting....maybe i need to factory reset tv ?????

Yes. My Vizio turns off randomly, sometimes in cluster fails. Sometimes (like right now) I have sound with no image. Sometimes it goes pink and I have to reboot. Never saw just a logo. Extremely irritating. Anybody know a brand that doesn’t do this?

There is no fixing this. The little orange Vizio logo is on in the front of the TV and that's it. I have tried every suggestion of unplugging, try pressing the power button on the side, hold it till your friggin’ mind goes insane and then gently try turning it back on.*’#@ !* Nothing, nothing I tell ya. This stupid piece of crap might go flying out the %#*@ window tonight. What a low life company this Vizio crap is and what the !&&* is a factory reset and how does one even do that?

I just factory reset ours tonight (Dec 9, 2018)

Go to Menu, System, Reset&Admin

This will reset the TV to the original settings it had when it was brought in from the store.

My 60 inch visio works fine. I have movies on flashdrives in the usb ports in the back I watch. They are mp4 and avi. But I put a new movie on a drive. Now when I try to play it, the tv shuts completely off. I can restart it and it works fine, unless I try to play that movie. Is there a shut off code embedded in the movie? I hear techs use the usb ports to work on the tv’s

What format is the movie in, AVI, MOV, MKV, MP4 etc?

It may be that your model TV does not support the video or audio codec that is being used by the movie and therefore shuts down.

Does it play OK on another TV? This is just to prove that the movie itself isn't corrupted (or perhaps the drive that it is installed on).

What is the model number of the TV?

In most TV user manuals it usually gives information regarding what video and audio formats are supported by the TV

I also just started having this problem ,a Vizio 50”EC model ,bought 2015,im starting to think by reading about this that 3yrs seems to be life for the Vizio….

Just randomly shuts off ,we tried different power source ,unplugging and holding on button ,new air to clean any clogs in tv vents …im very disappointed although am hopeful since the fist user says its not a heating up problem … maybe im not getting latest firmware update-how can i check that out?

ANY help is welcomed !

I have the same issue with the added headache of excessive voltage coming from the ports - when it decides to shut its self off, it burns out the cable box. I have burned thru 4 boxes before I realize it's not a faulty box - it's the Vizio TV. Had electrician come to evaluate.

Need to buy a new TV and certainly not another VIZIO!

Paul Laba will be eternally grateful.