Another VIZIO turns off randomly

I have a VIZIO 42" LED TV, model E422AR, about 3 yrs old (out of warranty). The TV is wall mounted in my bedroom. A few months ago it started randomly 'turning itself off'. By random I mean it might not happen for a few days, then happen several times in the course of a minute. The usual pattern is it happens a few times each evening.

When it happens, there is no picture or sound, the same as if I had manually turned off the TV via the remote, but with one exception: the VIZIO logo on the bezel beneath the screen remains lit, and is 'brighter' than it is normally when the TV is on. Other than the brightly lit logo, the TV appears to be in its normal off/standby state. In fact, if I then press the power button on the remote, the TV turns back on and all is well again (picture and sound) until the next time it decides to randomly turn itself off again.

After doing some hunting around online, I found many other VIZIO customers complaining of similar symptoms, although in most of those cases I the TV either failed completely (wouldn't turn back on), or the user had to unplug the TV, wait 10 or 15 secs, then plug it back in to get the TV working again (I've never had to do that). And no one described their TV's logo as still being lit when the TV failed.

Since most of the failed cases I read about turned out to be a bad power supply board, I went ahead and purchased one online. It was an exact match to mine, right down to the board's manufacturer, part number and rev letter. I went ahead and swapped the boards, powered the TV back on, and within a couple of minutes it failed again with exactly the same symptoms. %#*@.

So at this point I can safely assume that either the problem is *not* the power supply board, or the replacement power supply board I bought online has exactly the same problem as mine (certainly a possibility; I'm sure the board I purchased was used).

I have a hunch that the TV's hardware is ok, that this is some sort of glitch in the firmware. I can imagine there are points in the code where the default action in response to some error condition is to put the TV into the exact same state I'm seeing now. I could test out that theory by reverting back to an earlier firmware level and see if the problem disappears or the symptoms change, but it appears VIZIO offers no way to do that -- not only is there nothing in the TV's menus for loading firmware, but there are no firmware downloads offered on VIZIO's own support site.

I have no service manual or schematics for the TV, so I'm pretty much stuck at the moment.

The problem of course is that I have no way to capture the TV's state at the instant it fails. So checking voltage levels after unplugging the TV and plugging it back in will likely be futile, unless a component is 'on the edge' or out of spec. I could try operating the TV with its back off and, after it fails, leave it plugged in and measure voltages then, but that would be hard to do as the TV is still in daily use.

Because the TV is still in use, any 'try this, try that' type troubleshooting will be painful, as it would mean pulling the TV off the wall, removing the 10,000 screws from the back, testing whatever new steps are suggested, then, short of coming up with an actual fix, reassembling it and remounting it on the wall. So I'm hoping I can get a bit closer to the source of this problem without having to continually open up the TV.

I too have Vizio with the same problem. XVT553SV purchased in Feb 2011 and has done this randomly from the 1st week I had it. Besides being very limited in what capabilities it has, compared to newer updated models, and a couple of hdmi ports that quit working, it has served me well so far. I have it attached to a APC 1400 UPS for protection. Usually this happens out of the blue with no pattern I can discern once every few weeks to a month and lasts for 5 min. I originally was told by Visio it was updating firmware and of course I drank that cool aid. As it is now going on 6 years old I count it as lucky it still works from what I read and hear from others regarding Vizio televisions so I guess I got my moneys worth at this point.

Ohhh, that is really bad....

My TV will stay on for day's but then cut off and stay off for day's. SMMFH

From below:

Ok, so i bought my Vizio d40-d1 one year ago. Dang it. This mind reading weirdo TV shuts off if i get up from chair and move two feet sometimes. This TV is about 14 feet from chair. Laptop nearby. The Vizio is set for no tracking and is not connected to internet. I do sometimes connect laptop to TV via hdmi cord, but not often.

What makes it shut off like that ? No light either. Is something causing that phenomena in anyway related to the router in other room , TV, then laptop, in a line like that. Right, i know it makes no sense but my moving a few feet must disturb something, waves? , in the space around. I was dumb when i bought a smart TV. Miss my old square 700lb bulky TV. O, back in the good 'ol days - yea whatever.

So, anyone notice Vizio turn off when they move in room ?

I have the exact problem obviously on other web sites people have said that Visio has sent people the box to update tvs then u send it back to them and it's all fixed! If it's shutting off for awhile like mine did it for about a week then today it went off entirely. It comes on but shuts off tried all the little tricks but nothing but I did notice that as it turns on the logo comes off and it immediately shuts off even tho the Visio light in front stays on but no power light I've noticed. So seeing how I'm in the middle of a blizzard I am going to call Visio tell them what I read on other web site and see what happens keep u posted!

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

My vizio smart tv has been doing this as soon as warranty ran out. But unlike the rest, mine shuts off and shows only faint blue light - no logo . Hit the remote power button and all is well again. This is the third house this tv has been plugged into so voltage issue wouldn't seem to apply here. Since mine sits on a corner unit, I may try the fan thing.

I have this same problem with my Vizio tv in my living room and because of this i will NEVER buy vizio again. Soup to nuts i spoke to Vizio support and here's what they told me. When my tv shuts off and the vizio logo flashes underneath the tv it is due to a voltage change on your electricity. Super big Pain in the @$$ especially when you are watching something important but nothing really can be done to be honest, i have tried putting in low end and high end surge protectors to no avail

Thanks stephenrogolla. I certainly agree with your frustration!

You said, "... the vizio logo flashes ...". My logo doesn't flash, it just remains on and is brighter than normal when the TV is working. Is that what you meant, or does your logo actually flash on and off?

My TV is plugged into a battery backup/UPS, which protects the TV from over- and under-voltages. So VIZIO's comment is pretty lame, at least in my case. Personally, I think there's some sort of design flaw where the TV senses a problem and shuts off, even though there is no problem.

When I called VIZIO, they told me my TV was out of warranty, and that I needed to contact a nationwide support service (ITI) to see about getting it repaired. When I called ITI, they said they could repair the TV for a flat rate $240. When I called them back a few days later and gave them my zip code, they told me they had no repair centers in my area, so I was basically s**t out of luck. Nice.

Like you, I will obviously never again buy a VIZIO TV.

We have a 10 year old Vizio 42" tv that shuts itself off every so often. Somedays, it won't stay on more than a few minutes. Logo stays lit till we turn it off, wait a few minutes and turn it back on. We've started putting a small fan behind the TV to 'cool things off' and it has worked for the most part. Something inside is overheating and causing the TV to turn off and the fan cools it for awhile. Other days, now that it's getting warmer out, it doesn't do much for it.

Interesting, debsav60. I never associated our problem as being caused by overheating, since I normally just hit the power button on the remote to bring the TV back on again (without waiting for anything to cool down).

But then again, maybe there's an internal heat sensor that's failing and triggers occasionally when it shouldn't.

I have my TV wall mounted, so I'm not sure how I can get a fan behind it, but maybe I can rig something up.

Come to think of it, my problem started some time *after* I wall mounted the TV; previously it had been on a stand with better air flow around it. Hmm...

We have a Vizio 55" M550VSE tv that shuts off on its own as well. We have it plugged into a UPS and all other electronics plugged into it remain on when the tv shuts off. The tv would sit turned off all night long and the next morning when we turn it on; it will shut off after only being on for 1-2 minutes.

I have tried leaving the tv unplugged for a long period of time. I have tried moving the power to a different outlet on the UPS. I have tried unplugging the tv and holding down the power button for 30 seconds or longer. No dice.

UPDATE - I did a factory reset and still have the same issue.

i did a factory reset and put in my zip code and it works now

How do you do a factory reset?

Check the back of your TV. Are the vent ports clean and free of lint? Lint build up will impede the airflow necessary for the interiors components. Clean them using a dust wand or a can of air. At some point it'll lead to a blown capacitor. That's noted either by a bulge at the top or a brownish substance. If you're handy with a soldering gun is a relatively easy fix. If not, then you would need to replace the board with the blown capacitor.

Just an update to my original post:

I was able to locate online a replacement power supply board for my Vizio 42" LED TV (model E422AR). I pulled the back off the TV, removed the old PS board and installed the new one. Everything worked as well as it did before, but the random shutting off problem still occurred. The company I purchased the PS board from were great to work with. They offered me a full refund, or would send me a second board to try, just in case there was something wrong with the one they sent me. I picked option 2 A week later I repeated the process of swapping out my TV's PS board for the new one. Sadly, the problem still occurs.

Here's the thing. I haven't see this problem show up now for almost two months, even though the TV is typically on several hours each day. I don't believe the problem is heat related; there's been plenty of days when the temperature of the room the TV is in topped 80 degrees F. (the vent ports are clean and there's plenty of air flow behind the TV.) I thought this problem might be related to variations in the power line voltage, but my TV is plugged into a UPS (battery), so I doubt that's the cause. I still think this is some sort of firmware bug, but without a way to track firmware updates, there's no way for me to be sure.

How do you do a firmware update?

Yes, I would also like to know how to do a firmware update.

Click menu and then system then click check for updates. Make sure it’s connected to the internet first and off it goes.

I called about my tv shutting off and they sent me a new one. The new tv was doing the exact same thing. I called again and they had me take my tv off my WiFi network. A lot of my devices are connected on the same network. Somehow one of my other devices was causing a conflict with my tv sending it info it didn’t k ow what to do with so it shuts off and goes back to a point where everything was good like windows and a restore point. I have had my tv off my network for a month and it hasn’t shut off randomly once.

Same problems with my Vision and will never buy another one.

Another update to my original post...

It's now been four months since I’ve seen a single reoccurrence of my Vizio TV randomly turning itself off.

Given how frequently this was happening to me before - sometimes several times an hour - it is hard to believe this is simply good luck. I continue to use the TV daily, no less frequently than before.

I’m happy to have the problem gone, but have the uneasy feeling it will be back again eventually.

My only explanation for the problem’s disappearance is that Vizio downloaded and installed a new firmware update on my TV that corrected the problem (I’ve always suspected this problem was either a bug in the firmware or could be corrected in the firmware). I hadn’t been keeping a close watch on my TV’s firmware version number, so it might have changed without me knowing it. Too bad Vizio doesn’t inform you when it installs a new firmware update, or makes visible on the Info screen when the last firmware update was installed. Not such a smart TV after all.

Has anyone else had this or a similar problem simply disappear after a while?

My 65in Vizio shuts itself down after 12hrs. Doesn't matter what time I turn it on, 12hrs later it shuts down. I simply restart it with the remote. It is NOT overheating. I suspect a firmware problem.

Under Settings you will see CEC Settings. Turn off the CEC Function. This will be the root cause off the problem for many people as one of the connected devices is sending an improper CEC signal and causing the TV to turn off.

I've had this option turned off the entire time I've owned my tv and my tv still shuts off occasionally

Mine just started today after two years. I just reset it and so far it’s staying on.

After changing the pic to ‘anything other than defaul’ it starts shutting off again. So I’ve narrowed it down to the video setting. Default is a full dimmed out look but it stays on. I’ll be replacing the tv.

Your hunch that the hardware is ok is where you went wrong. The problem is with defective integrated circuits (ic's) on the main board. Also, contrary to your opinion about the power supplies, the power supplies are usually fine in the Vizio e series televisions.

The reason the issue is intermittent is because the ic's fail intermittently.

There is a youtube channel called Norcal77 (I think that is the right name). The man is a very skilled technician. He has a video in which he replaces a defective ic on a Vizio e series tv.

You need to replace your main board or else have the bad ic (or ic's) replaced.

Nonsense. My TV randomly shut down for years, sometimes multiple times a day (in some cases several time a minute). The problem suddenly stopped entirely eight months ago. And you want me to believe it’s an intermittently failing IC?

And given the varying footprints of other peoples’ failures, how can you simply declare that your hardware failure is the same for everyone else.

I am not wanting you to believe anything. You are free to believe whatever you wish. The youtube channel to which I referred is norcal715. In this video he removes and replaces a faulty Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory integrated circuit from a Vizio e-series tv.https://youtu.be/Sghh8BK5zIw

He also explains that this is a common failure on the Vizio e-series tv's.

Our Vizio randomly shuts off and turns itswlf back on. It has been doing this since our last move and I have been told it is our HDMI cords, that it's my DirecTV receiver, that it is overheating, and/or network interference. It has been happening more since getting the notification that YouTube is no longer supported on our Vizio e series. Does this mean they stopped send all firmware updates for the TV? We CONSTANTLY have the audio off from the video too and when that gets bad is when the TV shuts off and restarts. This occurs with ourbRoku, and our DVD player as well. Very frustrating as the TV still has a beautiful picture.

Granted, this TV has been moved via intertate a couple of times but each time it was packed to VIZIOs specific recommendations. I really don't want to have to buy a TV again. As this one is only about 4-5 yrs old.

How do I get a firmware push...call Vizio????

So I took mine to a TV Repair shop and it acted just fine but when I got hit home and hooked it up again it started all over. So next time I took it the guy asked me what I was hooking up to the TV and we found that by replacing the HDMI Cable it worked fine.

Been having the same problem with my 42" Vizio. It shuts off after about 20min of use. Over the time it's been doing it, I've noticed that the back is kinda warm like it is over-heating or whatever keeps the TV cool isnt working. After letting it cool a bit, the orange Vizio light comes back on and it plays fine fore another couple minute before shutting back off. So experimenting, I place a box fan on an angle behind it and the TV will play all day without issue. But on the down side, over time it collects a lot of dust which is probably worse, and besides who would want to go to these lengths just to watch TV right. So what could be the problem?? Fix or trash?

Paul Laba will be eternally grateful.