2001-2005 Volkswagen Passat

2001-2005 B5.5 VW Passat Wagon repair guides.

Intermittent starting problems - Passat V6

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours. It seems to start when the engine is cranked for 10 or more seconds and the accelerator is pushed and held to the floor. When it starts there is a strong smell of fuel - indicating that the engine was flooded. The "accelerator to the floor" solution does not always work and usually does not work the first time.

This was happening on my GTI 1.8t. The problem was that the fuel pump connector had a crack in it so there was fuel leaking onto the top part of the gas tank. I had my vw shop replace the fuel pump and it was free since there was a fuel pump recall that affected my model. A new pump is around $100.00 US dollars and the repair is fairly easy to do so a shop should only charge you about 1hr of labor maximum.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think this is my problem. A leaking fuel pump wouldn't be intermittent and it wouldn't "cure" itself by waiting. Also I don't smell fuel except when it eventually starts (in the exhaust) since it was flooded.

Thanks anyway.

by jerrypeters

Are you still experiencing this problem? My GTI went back to having these symptoms so it indeed was not the pump. It seems that it only does it in cold weather conditions. I researched it and vwvortex had a couple of people with that problem and I found a troubleshooting guide that pointed at the fuel pump relay as a possible cause. I changed out the relay and it has been 2 weeks now with no apparent problems. Look for a troubleshooting guide for your V6 engine there. An easy way to tell that you have a bad relay is to listen carefully when you open your door and you will hear the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear it then your car probably wont start and you have a bad fuel pump relay.

by XnriquX

My Volkswagen passat, 04 v6 2.8 won't start and code p0343 camshaft position sensor came up but I drove it all the way to work and waited about 30 min to an hour and went outside to move it and it wouldn't crank up and start again??

by Timothy Proctor

I just had the exact same problem, I went to the local Wolksw dealer and the diagnose was that the COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR had to be replaced. The diagnose cost was $120, more $240 for the part and labor. Good luck!

hi,

I too have the same problem except that I an alarm installed on my car and for the past couple of days i would go to turn the ignition and the dash lights would come on and the alarm would sound . talk about embarrassing engine won't start. The first time it did this it had sat all night. I checked oil last night and it was nearly bone dry so i added a quart of oil and went straight home. my check engine light also came on. and came back on on my way home

I have the same problem as posted above:

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours.

I took it to autozone and one of the computer print outs said "coolant temp censor" like listed above. So far we have replaced the coil pack and spark plugs, and it has not fixed anything.

Hi there, I have the same exact symptoms on my 2004 Passat 2.0 , car not starting, smell of fuel and sometimes while driving at normal speed car would stall, press the fuel and no response at all, until 10 secs stalling in the middle of the highway then the car would get its energy back.

List below of items changed:

MAF sensor no improvement

Spark plugs no improvement

Fuel filter no improvement

Radiator, water pump, timing belt, fan no improvement

At last fuel pump no improvement

I did my research and thought of the fuel relay, but my mechanic said if any problem with relay

It should come up on the computer scan which it didn't

Coolant temperature sensor was replaced today 7 February and things look ok till now.

Don't know if the problem is solved. But car is driving well.

Will update if any changes

Car start problem has been solved, it was water sensor and make sure when you change it to change the rubber sealing.

Also smell of fuel inside car was solved, it was the air pressure pipes, it was not connected and leaking fuel inside engine compartment. Luckily nothing happened and problem solved. Car is as good as new.

Hope someone may benefit from my experience.

Good luck to you all

by Hisham

What is the water sensor? Do you mean the coolant temperature sensor? And you also say the "air pressure pipes" weren't connected and were leaking fuel. I've never heard of an air pressure pipe.... Are you sure it wasn't the fuel rail or the fuel lines? It's nice of you to post to try and help someone else diagnose or fix a problem but if you don't use the correct names for parts you're going to have someone looking for parts that don't even exist.

by James Gauntt

I have the same problem with my 04 VW Passat wagen V6 however the Temperture Gauge also works intermediately or not at all. In the above case did you have the same issue.

I have a passat 2008 tdi 170 bhp push key to start engine won't start after several tries then it will start does anyone know what the problem might be

i have a 2001 vw passat 1.8t and ive been having problems with it ever since i did the head gasket. it runs good,but idles very very rough it also has been not starting after i drive it for a little bit and then park it and then drive it pretty soon after i parked it,it wont start.then turn hear the fuel pump and start it and it fires right up. Sometimes when i start it and put my foot on the accelerater and it goes no where.so park it sits for awhile try to start it and samething wont start. it sits for awhile and then it starts up and acceleraters fine.

Hi. Unfortunately my passat seems to be doing the same thing. Most mornings I open the car in a race to get my keys in the ignition before the alarm goes off. And then when starting it will cut out. And do the same again unless I put my foot on the accelerator. Now tonight it will turn over but not start

by Kjnicks

I changed out my coolant temp sensor but it is doing the same thing. I was told it could be my crank case. I'm scared to take it go a shop because they tend to be opportunists', and I don't have time for any games with my car.......

by Laressa Hailey

One day while driving home, my temperature light AND oil light came on. I made it home bit the next morning my battery was dead so I got a jump. It was at this point that the car would start but not remain running. What could it be? I was told it could be my coolant temp sensor..... Please help

I have a 2002 Passat 1.8t... Been great, I love the car. But I just tried starting it and it will not turn over. I have error codes P0411 and another one....I forgot which.... but My lady just ran the car then I got into it and tried to start it up when I cranked it until it stopped and got the readout on the l.e.d. board "STOP" I checked the oil and it was a little low but there was still a readout... I also checked the coolant... A little low but there was still juice in there.... One thing about the car is that when you get in it you have to wait a few seconds after you've turned the key to the on position and then crank it over.... I have no idea what that could be but it sounds like a fuel pump gone bad to me. Anyhow, I am sure it will start in the morning but I want to know what you guys think and if anyone had a problem that may have been similar to mine.

jerrypeters will be eternally grateful.