2001-2005 B5.5 VW Passat Wagon repair guides.

Intermittent starting problems - Passat V6

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours. It seems to start when the engine is cranked for 10 or more seconds and the accelerator is pushed and held to the floor. When it starts there is a strong smell of fuel - indicating that the engine was flooded. The "accelerator to the floor" solution does not always work and usually does not work the first time.

I have a 2002 VW passat 4motion.

It won't start but it does crank.

Then it will start.

When running it stays running and I have

no problem with it.

Why dies it do this?

Thank you

2002 pas sat v6 2.8 auto gas we replace trunk opener switch, then fuel pump not work or door light not flashing no car not start need help, we check fuse fine , i went school please help soon contact send message jashan06@hotmail.com

Test coolant temperature sensor- or engine temperature sensor.

Can someone tell me where is the fuel pump on an 02 Passat Wagon 2.8 how to get to it

I have a 2004 passat 2.8 V6 the ac, horn and fog lights dont work can someone tell me the problem?

This was happening on my GTI 1.8t. The problem was that the fuel pump connector had a crack in it so there was fuel leaking onto the top part of the gas tank. I had my vw shop replace the fuel pump and it was free since there was a fuel pump recall that affected my model. A new pump is around $100.00 US dollars and the repair is fairly easy to do so a shop should only charge you about 1hr of labor maximum.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think this is my problem. A leaking fuel pump wouldn't be intermittent and it wouldn't "cure" itself by waiting. Also I don't smell fuel except when it eventually starts (in the exhaust) since it was flooded.

Thanks anyway.

Are you still experiencing this problem? My GTI went back to having these symptoms so it indeed was not the pump. It seems that it only does it in cold weather conditions. I researched it and vwvortex had a couple of people with that problem and I found a troubleshooting guide that pointed at the fuel pump relay as a possible cause. I changed out the relay and it has been 2 weeks now with no apparent problems. Look for a troubleshooting guide for your V6 engine there. An easy way to tell that you have a bad relay is to listen carefully when you open your door and you will hear the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear it then your car probably wont start and you have a bad fuel pump relay.

My Volkswagen passat, 04 v6 2.8 won't start and code p0343 camshaft position sensor came up but I drove it all the way to work and waited about 30 min to an hour and went outside to move it and it wouldn't crank up and start again??

In my 2001 past 2.8 it's throwing a cam shaft sensor code bank two I replaced it and it's still throwing this code what did you do

Check coolant temperature sensor.

Check engine temperature sensor.

2003 1.8 turbo passat intermittent start.

Observed "stop, add coolant light", added coolant. Then intermittent start.

Was the coolant temperature sensor.

Resolved.

Most Helpful Answer

I just had the exact same problem, I went to the local Wolksw dealer and the diagnose was that the COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR had to be replaced. The diagnose cost was $120, more $240 for the part and labor. Good luck!

so you paid 360$ for them to replace a 30$ sensor that takes 10 minutes, oh and you could have had autzone read the OBD codes for free(or taken an obd reader out on deposit if you cant drive it to autozone) and known it was that sensor yourself

10/10

Im done putting money in this money pit.

I have a 2004 vw passat wagon 2.8

Cranks wont start.

Replaced fuel pump,crank sensor, fuel regulator and still nothing.

My advice dont buy these damm foreign cars. I know i won't.

Hi there, I have the same exact symptoms on my 2004 Passat 2.0 , car not starting, smell of fuel and sometimes while driving at normal speed car would stall, press the fuel and no response at all, until 10 secs stalling in the middle of the highway then the car would get its energy back.

List below of items changed:

MAF sensor no improvement

Spark plugs no improvement

Fuel filter no improvement

Radiator, water pump, timing belt, fan no improvement

At last fuel pump no improvement

I did my research and thought of the fuel relay, but my mechanic said if any problem with relay

It should come up on the computer scan which it didn't

Coolant temperature sensor was replaced today 7 February and things look ok till now.

Don't know if the problem is solved. But car is driving well.

Will update if any changes

Car start problem has been solved, it was water sensor and make sure when you change it to change the rubber sealing.

Also smell of fuel inside car was solved, it was the air pressure pipes, it was not connected and leaking fuel inside engine compartment. Luckily nothing happened and problem solved. Car is as good as new.

Hope someone may benefit from my experience.

Good luck to you all

What is the water sensor? Do you mean the coolant temperature sensor? And you also say the "air pressure pipes" weren't connected and were leaking fuel. I've never heard of an air pressure pipe.... Are you sure it wasn't the fuel rail or the fuel lines? It's nice of you to post to try and help someone else diagnose or fix a problem but if you don't use the correct names for parts you're going to have someone looking for parts that don't even exist.

MAF sensor no improvement 200$ at shop(50 yourself)

Spark plugs no improvement 7$x6=(42$ or 80$ at shop)

Fuel filter no improvement (50 at shop 10 yourself)

Radiator, water pump, timing belt, fan no improvement (1400$ at shop??!?!)

At last fuel pump no improvement (350$ at shop?!?!?!)

Coolant temperature sensor was replaced today 7 February (180 at shop?!?!!)

2200$ thrown at a problem when you have no idea what you are doing 10/10 you win this thread

If the car died while in motion 99/100 times you have either 1) lost fuel pressure which can be checked with a fuel pressure guage(20$ at autozone or you can take one out for free(refundable deposit) at autozone or 2) the Crank Shaft Position sensor has failed

The coolant temp sensor WOULD NOT stop the car while it is running

How not to repair your car 101

10000/10

To M Call

I have a 03 Passat 1.8t and while I was driving the accelerator just disconnected (wouldn't accelerate) so I pulled over and shut if off and tried to start but it CRANKS WITH NO START. Battery fine alternator fine. Sounds like it wants to start but won't. Help me out bro!!!

Check your spark plugs. I just had the same issues that were described in a 0 at post and all repairs had been done but a basic tuning. Always check for the 3 most important things whether it's a new car or old one. 1. Check for power 2. Check for fuel and 3 check for spark

99.9% I'm sure is the fuel pump relay. Even if you're getting the "click" when putting your finger on the relay it may be low on voltage to the pump. Remove the relay which is marked with 372 and clean the burnt pins with sandpaper until nice and shiny metal and reinstall it. I did this and it works fine.

I've had the fuel relay, fuel filter, and the fuel pump replaced- all of those . I do not have a starting problem now on my 2002 VW 4- motion passat. I have over 200,000 k on my car. The fuel pump was cracked and the fuel relay worn out. The fuel filter was dirty and clogged, car couldn't breath. It was time to replace them.

Most of you all problems seem to point to the Crankshaft Position Sensor/Engine speed sensor. It is a common problem with the 2000-2004 VW Passat. There is no way of stopping this sensor from failing it will have to be replaced eventually.

Can someone please tell me where the fuel pump is on an 02 Passat Wagon 2.8 I cannot find the fuel pump under the rear seat

It's behind the back right passenger seat lift up the carpet and you'll see it.

@jrodriguez79,José Rodríguez, You really should of posted this as a question instead of an answer.

access to fuel pump may be under the back seat under carpet, but the actual fuel pump is in the fuel tank. The link below shows location and how to access.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-gar...

jerrypeters will be eternally grateful.