2001-2005 B5.5 VW Passat Wagon repair guides.

Intermittent starting problems - Passat V6

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours. It seems to start when the engine is cranked for 10 or more seconds and the accelerator is pushed and held to the floor. When it starts there is a strong smell of fuel - indicating that the engine was flooded. The "accelerator to the floor" solution does not always work and usually does not work the first time.

I have a 2002 VW passat 4motion.

It won't start but it does crank.

Then it will start.

When running it stays running and I have

no problem with it.

Why dies it do this?

Thank you

2002 pas sat v6 2.8 auto gas we replace trunk opener switch, then fuel pump not work or door light not flashing no car not start need help, we check fuse fine , i went school please help soon contact send message jashan06@hotmail.com

This was happening on my GTI 1.8t. The problem was that the fuel pump connector had a crack in it so there was fuel leaking onto the top part of the gas tank. I had my vw shop replace the fuel pump and it was free since there was a fuel pump recall that affected my model. A new pump is around $100.00 US dollars and the repair is fairly easy to do so a shop should only charge you about 1hr of labor maximum.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think this is my problem. A leaking fuel pump wouldn't be intermittent and it wouldn't "cure" itself by waiting. Also I don't smell fuel except when it eventually starts (in the exhaust) since it was flooded.

Thanks anyway.

Are you still experiencing this problem? My GTI went back to having these symptoms so it indeed was not the pump. It seems that it only does it in cold weather conditions. I researched it and vwvortex had a couple of people with that problem and I found a troubleshooting guide that pointed at the fuel pump relay as a possible cause. I changed out the relay and it has been 2 weeks now with no apparent problems. Look for a troubleshooting guide for your V6 engine there. An easy way to tell that you have a bad relay is to listen carefully when you open your door and you will hear the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear it then your car probably wont start and you have a bad fuel pump relay.

My Volkswagen passat, 04 v6 2.8 won't start and code p0343 camshaft position sensor came up but I drove it all the way to work and waited about 30 min to an hour and went outside to move it and it wouldn't crank up and start again??

In my 2001 past 2.8 it's throwing a cam shaft sensor code bank two I replaced it and it's still throwing this code what did you do

Hi there, I have the same exact symptoms on my 2004 Passat 2.0 , car not starting, smell of fuel and sometimes while driving at normal speed car would stall, press the fuel and no response at all, until 10 secs stalling in the middle of the highway then the car would get its energy back.

List below of items changed:

MAF sensor no improvement

Spark plugs no improvement

Fuel filter no improvement

Radiator, water pump, timing belt, fan no improvement

At last fuel pump no improvement

I did my research and thought of the fuel relay, but my mechanic said if any problem with relay

It should come up on the computer scan which it didn't

Coolant temperature sensor was replaced today 7 February and things look ok till now.

Don't know if the problem is solved. But car is driving well.

Will update if any changes

Car start problem has been solved, it was water sensor and make sure when you change it to change the rubber sealing.

Also smell of fuel inside car was solved, it was the air pressure pipes, it was not connected and leaking fuel inside engine compartment. Luckily nothing happened and problem solved. Car is as good as new.

Hope someone may benefit from my experience.

Good luck to you all

What is the water sensor? Do you mean the coolant temperature sensor? And you also say the "air pressure pipes" weren't connected and were leaking fuel. I've never heard of an air pressure pipe.... Are you sure it wasn't the fuel rail or the fuel lines? It's nice of you to post to try and help someone else diagnose or fix a problem but if you don't use the correct names for parts you're going to have someone looking for parts that don't even exist.

MAF sensor no improvement 200$ at shop(50 yourself)

Spark plugs no improvement 7$x6=(42$ or 80$ at shop)

Fuel filter no improvement (50 at shop 10 yourself)

Radiator, water pump, timing belt, fan no improvement (1400$ at shop??!?!)

At last fuel pump no improvement (350$ at shop?!?!?!)

Coolant temperature sensor was replaced today 7 February (180 at shop?!?!!)

2200$ thrown at a problem when you have no idea what you are doing 10/10 you win this thread

If the car died while in motion 99/100 times you have either 1) lost fuel pressure which can be checked with a fuel pressure guage(20$ at autozone or you can take one out for free(refundable deposit) at autozone or 2) the Crank Shaft Position sensor has failed

The coolant temp sensor WOULD NOT stop the car while it is running

How not to repair your car 101

10000/10

To M Call

I have a 03 Passat 1.8t and while I was driving the accelerator just disconnected (wouldn't accelerate) so I pulled over and shut if off and tried to start but it CRANKS WITH NO START. Battery fine alternator fine. Sounds like it wants to start but won't. Help me out bro!!!

Check your spark plugs. I just had the same issues that were described in a 0 at post and all repairs had been done but a basic tuning. Always check for the 3 most important things whether it's a new car or old one. 1. Check for power 2. Check for fuel and 3 check for spark

I just had the exact same problem, I went to the local Wolksw dealer and the diagnose was that the COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR had to be replaced. The diagnose cost was $120, more $240 for the part and labor. Good luck!

so you paid 360$ for them to replace a 30$ sensor that takes 10 minutes, oh and you could have had autzone read the OBD codes for free(or taken an obd reader out on deposit if you cant drive it to autozone) and known it was that sensor yourself

10/10

hi,

I too have the same problem except that I an alarm installed on my car and for the past couple of days i would go to turn the ignition and the dash lights would come on and the alarm would sound . talk about embarrassing engine won't start. The first time it did this it had sat all night. I checked oil last night and it was nearly bone dry so i added a quart of oil and went straight home. my check engine light also came on. and came back on on my way home

I have the same problem as posted above:

Occasionally the car won't start. Not electrical - battery good starter good. It usually (always) happens when trying to start the car within a few minutes or hour of having recently run - like won't start after stopping to fill gas or won't start after driving to eat lunch. It will start if left alone for many hours.

I took it to autozone and one of the computer print outs said "coolant temp censor" like listed above. So far we have replaced the coil pack and spark plugs, and it has not fixed anything.

So you didnt even specify wether its a no start no crank or a cranking no start(is engine turning over?) which means you obviously are not that knowledgable here which means you should not have been throwing parts at it(plugs and coil pack) you really think all 6 of you plugs and ignition coils failed at once causing a now start?

how to waste money 101

10/10

Dude, how to be a dick 101 all your comments

I have the same problem with my 04 VW Passat wagen V6 however the Temperture Gauge also works intermediately or not at all. In the above case did you have the same issue.

I have a passat 2008 tdi 170 bhp push key to start engine won't start after several tries then it will start does anyone know what the problem might be

no because you are ignorant with cars and likely the person who pays a car payment and comprehensive insurance but can't turn a wrench

any novice mechanic would know the first thing you do is to say wether it is a NO START NO CRANK or a NO START WITH CRANK, without posting this information Im not going to attempt to help you but see other comments in this thread

i have a 2001 vw passat 1.8t and ive been having problems with it ever since i did the head gasket. it runs good,but idles very very rough it also has been not starting after i drive it for a little bit and then park it and then drive it pretty soon after i parked it,it wont start.then turn hear the fuel pump and start it and it fires right up. Sometimes when i start it and put my foot on the accelerater and it goes no where.so park it sits for awhile try to start it and samething wont start. it sits for awhile and then it starts up and acceleraters fine.

Hi. Unfortunately my passat seems to be doing the same thing. Most mornings I open the car in a race to get my keys in the ignition before the alarm goes off. And then when starting it will cut out. And do the same again unless I put my foot on the accelerator. Now tonight it will turn over but not start

I changed out my coolant temp sensor but it is doing the same thing. I was told it could be my crank case. I'm scared to take it go a shop because they tend to be opportunists', and I don't have time for any games with my car.......

One day while driving home, my temperature light AND oil light came on. I made it home bit the next morning my battery was dead so I got a jump. It was at this point that the car would start but not remain running. What could it be? I was told it could be my coolant temp sensor..... Please help

A coolant temp sensor SHOULD NOT stop the car from running unless passat delibrately made the ECM(electronic control module) Of the car do so in the event it fails, if this is the case which can likely be verified online but i doubt since Ive never head of a coolant sensor immobilizing car, the shut offs would be abrupt not a sputtering shut off. If the shut off is a sputter i would check fuel pressure in engine bay. Fuel pressure guage is 20 bucks or can be taken for free at autozone with refundable deposit. If with research you do indeed find the ECM Shuts the car off if coolant temp sensor fails then get an OBD (on board diagnostic) reader(again can often take one out for free with refundable deposit at autozone) and scan for codes it should have a code present if this is the case.

The crank shaft position sensor(sometimes called "crank sensor" or "Engine rpm sensor") is notorious for shutting the car off while in motion or while running if it fails.

I have a 2002 Passat 1.8t... Been great, I love the car. But I just tried starting it and it will not turn over. I have error codes P0411 and another one....I forgot which.... but My lady just ran the car then I got into it and tried to start it up when I cranked it until it stopped and got the readout on the l.e.d. board "STOP" I checked the oil and it was a little low but there was still a readout... I also checked the coolant... A little low but there was still juice in there.... One thing about the car is that when you get in it you have to wait a few seconds after you've turned the key to the on position and then crank it over.... I have no idea what that could be but it sounds like a fuel pump gone bad to me. Anyhow, I am sure it will start in the morning but I want to know what you guys think and if anyone had a problem that may have been similar to mine.

come on son, if the fuel pump was bad don't you think you would have a NO START BUT CRANKING issue not a no start no crank?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=p0411

^ answer to your problem

please help me i have a 2001 vw passat v6 auto Eng 2.8 glx, i was just changing trunk open switch driver side door my CAR WONT START or driver side door not flashing light or not work remote door lock please am a novice i have no experience at all about cars please i don't want to spend huge money and only a student please reply me as soon as possible if you can help me

I Can help you if you still need it althought I am 11 days late.

When you say it wont start you should ALWAYS say wether it is a NO START NO CRANK or a NO START WITH CRANK(is the engine turning over?)

Since you were mucking with the door switch when this occured you likely have a NO START NO CRANK caused by the security system of the car immobilizing the vehicle. Check the sensors you swapped, unhook battery wait a minute and reattach to reset electronics. Verifcation can be mades the car is being immobilized by the security system by taking a multimeter to the input and output of the security modules which is likely under dash, if 12volts goes into it when you try to start but no signal out of it it is a problem with immobilizer.

If perchance the engine DOES turn over, go to autozone and buy a 20$ fuel guage or take one out for free(refundable deposit) And check the fuel pressure in the engine bay. Google search the procedure for your make and model.

Hi, I have a passat 2000 GLS V6 . It starts but will idleing dies unless I press on gas. I have over 240000 miles on it being leaking some oil but other than that being good. The fuel pump and fuel lines we're replaced a few yrs ago, so am guessing it not that. I was thinking of changing the fuel filter seems like it's not getting enongh gas. Anyone with idea what could be wrong?

I have a 2002 VW Passat 4motion .

Sometimes it won't start but it does crank.

Then it will start.

When it's running it keeps running ,

Battery is brand new and so are the spark plugs.

Why does it do this?

Did u try changing coolant temperature sensor? It worked on my car

So just got car out of the shop for a replacement water jacket on back of motor, replaced temp censor an flex pipe on exhaust. This is a 2004 passat 1.8t but now check engine light was on when I got car back drove it about 25min an engine sputtered then died going 70mph down hwy. I can crank it but no start. Seems like it's not getting gas but it had fuel. Anyone have an thoughts or suggestions?

I own a 2001 1.8T Passat FWD I have replaced all monitors ecept for the crank case sensor and checked all relays and fuses. And my car will randomly shut of as soon as it gets to operating temperatures and will not start till the motor cools down.. plus strong oder of gas coming from exhaust. Any ideas?

99.9% I'm sure is the fuel pump relay. Even if you're getting the "click" when putting your finger on the relay it may be low on voltage to the pump. Remove the relay which is marked with 372 and clean the burnt pins with sandpaper until nice and shiny metal and reinstall it. I did this and it works fine.

Jerry

Did you every resolve the intermittent starting problem with your 2005 VW Passat.

I have exactly the same issue with my 2005 V6 Passat.

1 in every 50 or so starts, it cranks but does not fire up, typically after a short rest (ie: re-fuelling) and feels like lack of fuel to the injectors, but eventually after much pushing of the accelerator it starts up.

Any assistance will help.

Thanks.

Lindsay

I've had the fuel relay, fuel filter, and the fuel pump replaced- all of those . I do not have a starting problem now on my 2002 VW 4- motion passat. I have over 200,000 k on my car. The fuel pump was cracked and the fuel relay worn out. The fuel filter was dirty and clogged, car couldn't breath. It was time to replace them.

jerrypeters will be eternally grateful.