Can I fix the Headphone 3.5mm that only works in Certain positions

My Hyper X Cloud 2 Gaming Headset has a 3.5mm plug that only works when the cable is bent in a certain direction implying that the connection has come loose and can only make a connection in a certain direction. It is plugged into the included 7.1 surrond remote but I have confirmed this happens in multiple ports i.e my phone, computer, other phones etc. This creates a situation where 1 ear is always working and the second is flakey. To solve this I have been bending the cable a using a clip to keep it in the sweet spot as best as I can for the longest amount of time (It never holds). The "ideal spot" does change and requires a lot of playing because I guess the cable shifts around not sure.

The Fix:

The jack is covered in plastic as well as some anti-bend plastic design like layered rings, you know. The cable is also braided which could run into some interesting problems. Does anyone think it would be possible to cut open the plastic and resolder the connection to stop this from happening or not? These are just my backup since my main are RMA right now (whoops). Bottom line I don't really care if I have to cover it up with electrical tape if it works. I really want to try to repair if possible I have a good amount of electronic tools and knowledge but I am worried what I find won't be as simple as a little loose solder connection of some sort.

Thanks in advance iFixit Community you guys are the best!

The cable has probably a fractured wire where it enters the jack plug.

It is better to replace the plug and create a new connection.

Since it is a gaming headset, I'm assuming it has a 4 pin (TRRS) jack plug.

Here is a link to a supplier. It is not a recommendation to use them, it is merely shown to give an idea of the cost and to confirm that this is what you have. You will no doubt find more suitable suppliers

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/3-5mm-4-pole

Here is a link to a video which shows how to connect the cable into the plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqyVUHv4...

As there are 2 standards as to how the wires are connected, (see image below) you may have to use an Ohmmeter to determine the correct connections. The best way to do this is to cut the cable at least 2 inches from the jack plug, strip off the sheath back to the jack plug to expose the wires, strip a bit of the insulation from each of the wires and then using the Ohmmeter, check between the jack plug connector and each wire to ascertain where it goes. Write down the colour of the wire and to which pin it is connected to, then you will know how to connect them into the new jack plug. You may find that there are two earth wires (possibly), 1 for the speakers and 1 for the microphone. Therefore they will both go on the appropriate earth pin for your connection type.

Suitable Ohmmeters (function found in a DMM - Digital Multimeter) can be purchased from larger hardware stores for about $10

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing)

Hopefully this is of some help.

Thanks a lot man I will definitely check it out thanks for taking the the time to answer hopefully this will fix :)

You're welcome.

If you want to prove which wire it is before you cut the cable, use the Ohmmeter and connect one lead from the Ohmmeter too the earth pin of the plug and the other to either the tip or the first ring connector of the plug (depending on whether it is the left or the right ear speaker which is the problem and see if the Ohmmeter reading changes when you flex the cable at the end of the plug. If will be a bit difficult as preferably you would like to have 3 hands to do everything but it can be done. if you hold the plug flat down on the table with the 2 meter probes in one hand (on the correct pins) get a reading on the meter and then gently twist the cable near the plug end with the other hand you can do it.

Good luck with the repair!

Harris Greenstein will be eternally grateful.