The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

MacBook Pro suddenly dead and does not turn on

My Macbook Pro suddenly shut down and is not turning on, no chime, no apple logo. There was no exposure to water. (However, I had kept a steaming bowl of hot water right next to the laptop.But this was in an open kitchen)

The Pro had less than 10% charge when it suddenly shut down. I charged it for another 10 minutes and tried to switch on, but no luck. I charged it completely till the magsafe indicator turned green, still does not turn on. So assumed that the battery is charging fine. I opened the mac and saw no visible corrosion or moisture(two tiny dots below the battery case are white and haven't turned red)

I have tried the following already.

1. SMC reset - With the magsafe adapter connected, when I do the reset the charge indicator turns green from orange.

2. Disconnected and reconnected the battery connector - still no life.

Its been only a year and three months I bought this in India. Could the logic board die out so soon? How to pinpoint if it is indeed the logic board?

Thanks a lot!

I am currently based in a small town in Germany with no apple genius store around. I will be visiting the store in February. Meanwhile any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Disconnect the battery, then the keyboard, then plug in the charger and see what happens.

@madhu15 as Rany said, but reconnect the battery after disconnecting the keyboard. The 2015 13" will only boot when the charger is connected if the battery is plugged in too :)

If this doesn't work, remove the logic board and check the bottom for liquid damage.

Thanks for the prompt reply @reecee and @rany! I did the following in sequence

Disconnected battery --> pulled out keyboard cable --> reconnected the battery --> connected the charged.

Alas, nothing happened :(

@reecee I didn't know that. I thought it would start with charger alone. Point taken...

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

When trying to attempt to boot it, press the trackpad. If it clicks, the MacBook is coming on (but is not displaying picture, chiming or another issue), if not, the MacBook is completely dead, which will be an issue with the logic board. The force touch trackpads will only click when the MacBook is on, so this is a good indicator when diagnosing these.

Remove the logic board and check it for any liquid damage. Remove the tape at the top of the board (this covers components, sometimes liquid is underneath this.

Clean any liquid with 95%+ isopropyl, but before cleaning, take a picture for reference, so we know what area was affected by the liquid (if the clean doesn't resolve the issues.

The MacBook should boot when the battery is reconnected and the charger plugged in, so there is clearly an issue with the logic board.

Trackpad gives no click after reconnecting the battery and charger. So, as you said it is a logic board issue.

I'll try removing the board and see if there has been any accidental liquid spill without my knowledge.

I have the same issue except my trackpad does click. But my screen is still black and heard no chime and my battery is fully charged

Most Helpful Answer

Reset the SMC on Mac notebook computers

First, determine whether the battery is removable. Mac notebook computers that have a nonremovable battery include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) and later. Learn more about Mac notebook batteries.

If the battery is nonremovable:

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter from your computer.

Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

Release all keys.

Reconnect the power adapter.

Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

If the battery is removable:

Shut down your Mac.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from your computer.

Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on your Mac.

The LED on MagSafe power adapters might change colors or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers

Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve.

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the power cord.

Wait 15 seconds.

Plug the power cord back in.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Varun

Hi Varun,

As mentioned above, mine is an early 2015 retina Pro and hence battery is not removable. Already tried the SMC reset. No signs of life.

Try With Reinserting The Battery Connector

Varun

What is the battery connector? The battery is not removable.

Thanks it worked.

@Madhu: Does your Macbook work again? I have a similar issue. Apple says that I am out of warranty and the German shop notebooksbilliger.de don't feel the need to repair my MBP (finally I consulted a lawyer).

You can also hold down fn-ctrl-cmd and the power button, it's the only thing that works on my mac when it just shuts down and becomes completely unresponsive even though the battery is full. Holding down the power button for 10 seconds and the p and r key thing don't work and don't feel comfortable opening the back.

Thanks! Holding fn+ctrl+CMD and power button worked.

thanks Alisha .... my Mac is working

When it's in sleep mode it starts immediately.... However if it's shut down battery is drained out in sllep mode , than it just doesn't start......

Yes, to me it does sound like the Logic board has failed. There are a few things to test before you conclude this.

1. Try Minimal Config:

Disconnect Battery

Disconnect the LCD

Remove SSD

Remove WIFI Card

Disconnect the Camera

Disconnect the I/O Board.

Disconnect Keyboard/Trackpad

Leave the Fans plugged in. and connect the power cable.

You may have to try the power on pads. They can be located Where are the power pads to short it on?

If there is no fan spin. Then it could be either the DC in Board or Logic board. If you can test with a KG DC-In i would try that first.

Just bought this got it out of the box plugged it in the little little light turnerd orange for about an hour then went out get get it to turn on

Apart from resetting your MacBook’s SMC, Apple has also published a how-to piece on how you can also reset its PRAM if your Mac experiences problems. First press the power button and then hold down the Cmd-Option-P-R keys simultaneously, until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial sound.

Try to manually turn on the Macbook by taking off the back cover and shorting out the power-on-pads. make sure the battery is connected

My MacBook Pro 13 inch retina early 2015 turns on when I plugged in and shut down when I unplugged. I know that it was happening because of battery problem. Recently my charger burnt. I bought a new charger and I plugged in the charger but but my MacBook Pro is not turning on. It shows the low battery icon with a charging sign. is it still a Battery problem or there is other issues as well?

Madhu will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,054