The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

MacBook Pro suddenly dead and does not turn on

My Macbook Pro suddenly shut down and is not turning on, no chime, no apple logo. There was no exposure to water. (However, I had kept a steaming bowl of hot water right next to the laptop.But this was in an open kitchen)

The Pro had less than 10% charge when it suddenly shut down. I charged it for another 10 minutes and tried to switch on, but no luck. I charged it completely till the magsafe indicator turned green, still does not turn on. So assumed that the battery is charging fine. I opened the mac and saw no visible corrosion or moisture(two tiny dots below the battery case are white and haven't turned red)

I have tried the following already.

1. SMC reset - With the magsafe adapter connected, when I do the reset the charge indicator turns green from orange.

2. Disconnected and reconnected the battery connector - still no life.

Its been only a year and three months I bought this in India. Could the logic board die out so soon? How to pinpoint if it is indeed the logic board?

Thanks a lot!

I am currently based in a small town in Germany with no apple genius store around. I will be visiting the store in February. Meanwhile any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Disconnect the battery, then the keyboard, then plug in the charger and see what happens.

@madhu15 as Rany said, but reconnect the battery after disconnecting the keyboard. The 2015 13" will only boot when the charger is connected if the battery is plugged in too :)

If this doesn't work, remove the logic board and check the bottom for liquid damage.

Thanks for the prompt reply @reecee and @rany! I did the following in sequence

Disconnected battery --> pulled out keyboard cable --> reconnected the battery --> connected the charged.

Alas, nothing happened :(

@reecee I didn't know that. I thought it would start with charger alone. Point taken...

When trying to attempt to boot it, press the trackpad. If it clicks, the MacBook is coming on (but is not displaying picture, chiming or another issue), if not, the MacBook is completely dead, which will be an issue with the logic board. The force touch trackpads will only click when the MacBook is on, so this is a good indicator when diagnosing these.

Remove the logic board and check it for any liquid damage. Remove the tape at the top of the board (this covers components, sometimes liquid is underneath this.

Clean any liquid with 95%+ isopropyl, but before cleaning, take a picture for reference, so we know what area was affected by the liquid (if the clean doesn't resolve the issues.

The MacBook should boot when the battery is reconnected and the charger plugged in, so there is clearly an issue with the logic board.

Trackpad gives no click after reconnecting the battery and charger. So, as you said it is a logic board issue.

I'll try removing the board and see if there has been any accidental liquid spill without my knowledge.

I have the same issue except my trackpad does click. But my screen is still black and heard no chime and my battery is fully charged

I had a similar issue, My Macbook Pro couldn’t switch on for over two weeks.

Finally I managed to resolve the problem and now it’s back and performing even better.

Follow this guide here: http://bit.ly/2qCKG0q

Hope this helps.

My macbook pro suddenly doesn't want to switch on nor charge. What should I do

Francis, I'm having the same issue and I wanted to check your link but it's broken. I hope you can see this message and send us an updated link. Thanks

Most Helpful Answer

Reset the SMC on Mac notebook computers

First, determine whether the battery is removable. Mac notebook computers that have a nonremovable battery include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) and later. Learn more about Mac notebook batteries.

If the battery is nonremovable:

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter from your computer.

Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

Release all keys.

Reconnect the power adapter.

Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

If the battery is removable:

Shut down your Mac.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from your computer.

Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on your Mac.

The LED on MagSafe power adapters might change colors or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers

Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve.

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the power cord.

Wait 15 seconds.

Plug the power cord back in.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Varun

Hi Varun,

As mentioned above, mine is an early 2015 retina Pro and hence battery is not removable. Already tried the SMC reset. No signs of life.

Try With Reinserting The Battery Connector

Varun

What is the battery connector? The battery is not removable.

Thanks it worked.

@Madhu: Does your Macbook work again? I have a similar issue. Apple says that I am out of warranty and the German shop notebooksbilliger.de don't feel the need to repair my MBP (finally I consulted a lawyer).

You can also hold down fn-ctrl-cmd and the power button, it's the only thing that works on my mac when it just shuts down and becomes completely unresponsive even though the battery is full. Holding down the power button for 10 seconds and the p and r key thing don't work and don't feel comfortable opening the back.

Thanks! Holding fn+ctrl+CMD and power button worked.

thanks Alisha .... my Mac is working

shift+fn+control+option+cmd+power button worked

How long do I hold it down

Fn+ Ctrl+cmd+ power button worked for me too!

Yes, to me it does sound like the Logic board has failed. There are a few things to test before you conclude this.

Try Minimal Config:

• Disconnect Battery
  • Disconnect the LCD
  • Remove SSD
  • Remove WIFI Card
  • Disconnect the Camera
  • Disconnect the I/O Board.
  • Disconnect Keyboard/Trackpad
  • Leave the Fans plugged in. and connect the power cable.

You may have to try the power on pads. They can be located Where are the power pads to short it on?

If there is no fan spin. Then it could be either the DC-In Board or Logic board.

Just bought this got it out of the box plugged it in the little little light turnerd orange for about an hour then went out get get it to turn on

I had the identical problem with a one year old macbook pro. Simply would not turn on. Tried everything but no luck. It's goodbye to Apple for me with their laptops. For the same money I can buy the top of the line gaming computer with higher specs. I don't do gaming but I know I will have a monster that is more reliable than a macbook pro and that is not as delicate or sensitive to this sort of nonsense that defines Apple.

“Lol bye” replied Apple.

same thing here.... apple su#ks.

They asked $500 to fix the issue and $200 more if there are any other issues to fix. Total $700 to fix the issue of 4 year old Macbook AIR.

Complete RIP Off. For $900 I can get a new Macbook Air.

Never ever buying any Machbook in future.

When it's in sleep mode it starts immediately. However if it's shut down battery is drained out in sleep mode, than it just doesn't start.

Try to manually turn on the Macbook by taking off the back cover and shorting out the power-on-pads. make sure the battery is connected

My MacBook Pro 13 inch retina early 2015 turns on when I plugged in and shut down when I unplugged. I know that it was happening because of battery problem. Recently my charger burnt. I bought a new charger and I plugged in the charger but but my MacBook Pro is not turning on. It shows the low battery icon with a charging sign. is it still a Battery problem or there is other issues as well?

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro that it was not turning on. Tried almost every answer here but no luck. I just removed MacBook's back cover and unplugged the battery from board and then again plugged in and pressing power button after fixed my problem. Hope it will help many but try at your own risk. Cheers

It worked or not?

Have you been able to come to any resolution? I have the same problem after putting my 7 month old MacBook pro into sleep last night. Dead, no power, nothing.

Hello

Please my MacBook is dead and doesn’t want to turn on. I think my roommate probably tried to on it and couldn’t get the password, so instead of closing in properly,she pressed the power button. I tried to open it ,it opened were I should write my password but then suddenly closed.

I tried pressing the power button for ten seconds then plug the USB-C power while still pressing the power button for ten more second and then I removed my finger, I pressed the powe button again for 1 sec , but is not working.

I noticed that when I plugged the mag safe that it is not green or even orange it was white and light green and it wasn’t on all the time , it was like going on and off continuously.

As if it was flashing fast.

What should I do then?

Do you know any explanation on the mag save?

i had the same problem with you, i hope someone will help us.

I have the same problem, because when I logged off the night before there was no problem. However when I opened it the day after, it acted as if it was turned off. The SMC and PRAM resets don’t seem to work, either.

Don’t blame your roommate, I think it turns off itself for some reason.

I faced a similar problem last night. It worked smoothly till i closed my Macbook Air's lid and went to sleep. The next morning it just refused to show any display, neither the caps lock light turned on, nor the keyboard back lit display. The charge was over 50% when I closed it last night. I reset the SMC and did all other things for atleast a couple of hours but did not help. As a last resort, I blew the hair dryer on the keyboard of the laptop for a few couple of mins, and then tried to turn it on, and magically it started as if nothing had happened. All my windows were still open when the laptop turned on. Its raining continuously here (in Mumbai) , and humidity might have caused the issue. Not sure if it may help all, but certainly can be tried. All the best.

Update to my earlier comment:

After the hair dryer thing, my Mac worked for another 2 days, untill it refused to start at all !Finally i took it to repair shop just to know that there was rusting on the IC's in the power section on the logic board. The technician repaired only the power section on the mother board at a cost of Rs.10500 (USD 150). A complete logic board replacement would cost arnd Rs. 25000 (USD 350). He suggested me to have periodic cleaning and maintenance of Mac , which costs Rs. 800 (USD 15)(like every six months). There were atleast 10 other customers at the repair shop with similar Mac issues, which occur the most during moist climatic conditions.

Even I'm having a similar issue but none of the above mentioned solutions worked out.

Still having the issue.

I tired all above steps as mentioned by everyone here.

1) SMC Reset

2) Hair Dryer blower

3) Different Combinations of keys

None worked out on my Mcabook Pro with retina Display 2014 model.

I was keeping it in my closed cloths almirah, and it is rainy season here in Delhi, july 2018.

I suppose humidity would be the cause.

I took it to one shop in Nehru Pace, there were already 6 people sitting with exact same issue.

They told me it is a power supply issue, and SMC reset works for just few days.

They charged Rs 8700 to repair it. Now it is working fine.

https://macbookprorepair.in

I guess the repair cost is very much, it might have been a silly issue but god knows what they did.

Hi friends,

I’ve mackbook pro 2012

the suggestion of holding shift+control+option and power button for 10 seconds followed by plugging the charger ,switch on and turn on the power button restored my MacBook working back.i had to try this few times.

thanks for those suggested this tip. Thank God.

the issue started when power went off while I was watching a playlist in iTune. Later I turn on MacBook the display went off just after desktop screen appeared.

I prefer now charging MacBook when not using it.Now I recently relocated to another country where I am not confident of power fluctuations and failures.

BR

Mohideen

My MacBook Air barely 3 years old

A week before it worked completely fine

But from the last week sometimes it turns on sometimes it doesn’t like I have to keep pressing the keeps for about 40-50 times sometimes it turns on sometimes it doesn’t!!

Once it starts working it works like new smoothly no lag no unwanted shut down completely fine!!!!

But if I shut it down tonight and try to turn it on tomorrow again I face the same problem

No contact with water, no heating

Charging finely no heating issue !

Please help i don’t know what is happening ?

Tried apple inbuilt diagnostics by pessimg D instantly after pressing the power key

It’s showing no issue with hardware all good!!

Then I don’t know why this problem is occurring

Please help??

My MacBook Air barely 3 years old

A week before it worked completely fine

No contact with water, no heating

Charging finely no heating issue !

Please help??

Madhu will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,325