Parts & Tools

The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

MacBook Pro suddenly dead and does not turn on

My Macbook Pro suddenly shut down and is not turning on, no chime, no apple logo. There was no exposure to water. (However, I had kept a steaming bowl of hot water right next to the laptop.But this was in an open kitchen)

The Pro had less than 10% charge when it suddenly shut down. I charged it for another 10 minutes and tried to switch on, but no luck. I charged it completely till the magsafe indicator turned green, still does not turn on. So assumed that the battery is charging fine. I opened the mac and saw no visible corrosion or moisture(two tiny dots below the battery case are white and haven't turned red)

I have tried the following already.

1. SMC reset - With the magsafe adapter connected, when I do the reset the charge indicator turns green from orange.

2. Disconnected and reconnected the battery connector - still no life.

Its been only a year and three months I bought this in India. Could the logic board die out so soon? How to pinpoint if it is indeed the logic board?

Thanks a lot!

I am currently based in a small town in Germany with no apple genius store around. I will be visiting the store in February. Meanwhile any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Disconnect the battery, then the keyboard, then plug in the charger and see what happens.

@madhu15 as Rany said, but reconnect the battery after disconnecting the keyboard. The 2015 13" will only boot when the charger is connected if the battery is plugged in too :)

If this doesn't work, remove the logic board and check the bottom for liquid damage.

Thanks for the prompt reply @reecee and @rany! I did the following in sequence

Disconnected battery --> pulled out keyboard cable --> reconnected the battery --> connected the charged.

Alas, nothing happened :(

@reecee I didn't know that. I thought it would start with charger alone. Point taken...

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

When trying to attempt to boot it, press the trackpad. If it clicks, the MacBook is coming on (but is not displaying picture, chiming or another issue), if not, the MacBook is completely dead, which will be an issue with the logic board. The force touch trackpads will only click when the MacBook is on, so this is a good indicator when diagnosing these.

Remove the logic board and check it for any liquid damage. Remove the tape at the top of the board (this covers components, sometimes liquid is underneath this.

Clean any liquid with 95%+ isopropyl, but before cleaning, take a picture for reference, so we know what area was affected by the liquid (if the clean doesn't resolve the issues.

The MacBook should boot when the battery is reconnected and the charger plugged in, so there is clearly an issue with the logic board.

Trackpad gives no click after reconnecting the battery and charger. So, as you said it is a logic board issue.

I'll try removing the board and see if there has been any accidental liquid spill without my knowledge.

I have the same issue except my trackpad does click. But my screen is still black and heard no chime and my battery is fully charged

I had a similar issue, My Macbook Pro couldn’t switch on for over two weeks.

Finally I managed to resolve the problem and now it’s back and performing even better.

Follow this guide here: http://bit.ly/2qCKG0q

Hope this helps.

My macbook pro suddenly doesn't want to switch on nor charge. What should I do

Francis, I'm having the same issue and I wanted to check your link but it's broken. I hope you can see this message and send us an updated link. Thanks

Most Helpful Answer

Reset the SMC on Mac notebook computers

First, determine whether the battery is removable. Mac notebook computers that have a nonremovable battery include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) and later. Learn more about Mac notebook batteries.

If the battery is nonremovable:

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter from your computer.

Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

Release all keys.

Reconnect the power adapter.

Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

If the battery is removable:

Shut down your Mac.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from your computer.

Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on your Mac.

The LED on MagSafe power adapters might change colors or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers

Follow these steps for iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Xserve.

Shut down your Mac.

Unplug the power cord.

Wait 15 seconds.

Plug the power cord back in.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Varun

Hi Varun,

As mentioned above, mine is an early 2015 retina Pro and hence battery is not removable. Already tried the SMC reset. No signs of life.

Try With Reinserting The Battery Connector

Varun

What is the battery connector? The battery is not removable.

Thanks it worked.

@Madhu: Does your Macbook work again? I have a similar issue. Apple says that I am out of warranty and the German shop notebooksbilliger.de don't feel the need to repair my MBP (finally I consulted a lawyer).

You can also hold down fn-ctrl-cmd and the power button, it's the only thing that works on my mac when it just shuts down and becomes completely unresponsive even though the battery is full. Holding down the power button for 10 seconds and the p and r key thing don't work and don't feel comfortable opening the back.

Thanks! Holding fn+ctrl+CMD and power button worked.

thanks Alisha .... my Mac is working

shift+fn+control+option+cmd+power button worked

How long do I hold it down

Fn+ Ctrl+cmd+ power button worked for me too!

I have the same problems TODAY. No response from Mac Pro 13 “ Retina Early 2015 after holding down the power button. I try the SMC reset . Plug out the AC power. HOLD THE KEYS: SHIIFT, CONTROL, OPTION, AND POWER SIMULTANEOUSLY FOR 10 SECS. THEN Release. Hold down Power button for 15secs. It power up again. IT works !

I tried that several times it didn’t work, I had to open Mac up and disconnect the battery plug

I then plugged in AC power it worked!

I then shut Mac down re inserted battery plug thinking the battery was the fault but it all works as normal!

I’ve gone through same process and it ain’t working , I use a MacBook pro 2017

Thanks a ton. it works for me

Hi, I have the exact problem you do. My MB Air will startup normally if I leave the internal battery connection unplugged and just use the charging cord with the amber light on. The Air will start normally even if I shut it down (sleep as well) and plug the charger cord in and push the power on button.

If I plug the internal battery into the logic board the Air will not start from the battery or the charging cord.

I don't know if a new battery will solve this issue. Have you solved the problem?

Had a similar issue on my 13” Macbook Pro (late 2013). The battery died while the laptop was left running and it wasn't powering bank on. None of the reset key combinations suggested would power it on.

An authorized service center diagnosed the issue (charged me about $30) and told me I had to replace the topcase (cost: $500+) - since there was a problem with the power button.

Upon opening up the laptop myself (since it was a 5 year old laptop at the time and warranty had already expired) using ifixit's pro tech toolkit (costs about $70) and disconnecting the battery and then plugging in the magsafe connector, it powered back on. I then put it back to sleep by closing the lid and connecting the battery back in.

I indeed seem have an issue with the power button but as long as I maintain charge in the battery I don't have to use the power button, I can just easily continue to put it to sleep and waking it back up using just the lid. Oh and I can also restart without any problems. It's only when I let battery die, or shutdown, that I have to open laptop, disconnect the battery, and repeat the process.

This worked perfectly for me. After trying all of those resets, the SMC and P+R key reset, I wasn’t expecting unplugging the battery to do the trick. But it powered right up after I reconnected the magsafe charger.

Anyone who’s having issues with their a1502 MBP not turning on, but green light on the magsafe should try this fix. I guess my issue is only if I let the computer run out of battery entirely. Then I have to disconnect the battery, plug in charger and then hit the power button and it comes to life-like the above post, I can close the lid and plug the battery back in right after, and everything is good.

But, If I had just tried this earlier, it would have saved me a lot of stress. Thanks Siddharth!

Im having to do the same process of taking the back off and disconnect the battery and plugging into a wall outlet its really annoying but it does work,in this state my macbook is probably worth less then $100. Wondering what to do from here ? Buy new battery?

Unfortunately I had the same issue. while working on my Mac air 13 , the battery died and after I had charged 100%, it still did not turned up. I tried all the options, however nothing worked. Ultimately, had to change the motherboard which was “costly”. I was told by apple care that there was a liquid found in the motherboard and hence it happened. It still does not seems to be a convincing reply to me. Seems to me it could be the moisture formed on some part in motherboard which could have caused it

For someone who doesnt work with all those method my macbook pro got green light on mag safe charger but always show up with red charger icon , try quickly move a bit of the charger then turn on suddenly ! I know its weird but its work for me

Omg it worked

Fn+cntrl+cmd+power worked, i have heard the same problem for two months

Madhu will be eternally grateful.