Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Strange revving noise from a refrigerator

Few weeks ago, my 2 year old fridge started making strange revving noises. Freezing still works Ok, but the noise is troubling.

It's not possible to describe the noise with words, but a recording might help:

Youtube clip

This noise seems to be coming from behind the bottom of upper compartment, above the freezer.

What is the make and model number of your fridge?

Is it an "upside down" fridge i.e. fridge on top, freezer on bottom?

Does the noise stop when you open the fridge door and start again when you close it?

Is the temperature OK in the fridge section, not asking about the freezer as you said it was OK?

Finally, does the fridge seem to run all the time?

Sorry, I didn't mention the make and model - it's GE PFE28RSHSS, bottom freezer. The strange noise comes and goes, opening doors does not seem to affect it. Both freezer and fridge section seem to operate normally. And fridge does not run always, it's totally quiet at times.

It sounds like you have a GE Profile refrigerator with the CustomCool control set for "thawing". This is a normal operating noise while thawing. You can turn off the "thaw" setting and the noise should stop. Don't forget to check on the item your thawing and set the control for more thaw time if needed.

A model number would be a great help!

LadyTech, Long time no read, hope you had a good Xmas and New year.

LadyTech about time you get back. There are plenty of Appliances to fix...good to hear you are back.

Thanks for your suggestion, but our fridge has no "thawing" setting. Temperature control drawer has selectable temperature, but so far we didn't use this feature. Today I set to to 34F, just to see it this would make any difference.

I had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. Hope y'all did as well. I've been promoted and will be moving. The next month will be hectic, but I hope to find time to help fix the world. LoL

LadyTech congrats to the promotion. Hope it's what you wanted and wishing you all the best for your upcoming move. Hope you find your way back to iFixit once you are settled.

Olga Larikova will be eternally grateful.