The Nintendo 2DS is a handheld gaming device developed as an entry level version of the Nintendo 3DS with nearly identical hardware, but without the 3D upper screen function.

Sd Card Slot Bad

I am pretty sure the SD card slot on the 2ds is bad. I've put different SD cards into it. It always says that the card is write protected. I know that its not.

Is there a way I can fix it? I read somewhere that maybe the arm inside the SD card slot for write protection is broke but I can't find anything on how to fix it or how to replace the whole sd card slot if I buy a new one to replace it. Thanks.

The fix for this problem is simple. Do you know what SD stands for? Secure Digital. The little yellow or gray slider on the side of you memory card enables or disables the write protection, thus, you get your error. When you put the card in, it slides it down and stops the card from writing. To fix this, take a little peice of tape and cover the slider while in the up (unlocked) position. This will prevent it from sliding to the locked position. Be careful not to cover any of the copper pins on the SD card with tape!

But if the issue is not the actual card itself this will not help. Sometime little hand will stick the card in backwards thus causing the write protect switch to be positioned into the improper position.

@luccrook, what do mean? There's only on way the card can go in.

There is only one way the card is "Supposed" to go it. In fact it will go in many different ways. Not necessarily the correct way which will result in damaging the slot. Trust me, I have seen SD cards inserted backwards and upside down many of times. Doing so will damage the slot.

Most Helpful Answer

I too had this same issue after my son had jammed his SD card into the slot backwards. When this happens it bends the switch for the SD card write protect in the slot. Its not the card that is the issue but the slot itself. If you look into the sd slot you will see this switch. It looks like a tiny half paper clip shape. It is on the right side of the slot when the 2DS is laying on its back. All I did to fix it was reach in with a very fine 1mm flat head screwdriver and bend the switch up a little bit. The switch was bent down so the card was always reading as write protected. After I bent it up, the switch would fit into the proper gap on the card when the switch was not in write protect mode and therefore the 2DS would see the card as not being write protected. This fixed the issue on my 2DS.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

My son was convinced that it was the end of the world

Sheep girl will be eternally grateful.