A 16.1 MP Sony Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm Lens released in September, 2012 and discontinued by the manufacturer.

Why does my camera say cannot recognize lens?

I dropped my camera , it does not have any cracks and it did not break at all but when I tried turning it on it said "cannot recognize lens. Attach it properly "

Jennifer, were you able to fix your camera? What did you do? I have the exact same problem.

Jennifer Ruiz try to clean the contacts between the lens and the body carefully with a soft cloth. Make sure that the pins that make contact, are not bend. Sometimes it will reset if you remove the lens and then the battery. Leave the battery out for an hour or so. You could also check to see if you can reset your camera to factory defaults once the lens is removed. Of course, always make sure that you have a fully charged battery.

If you have another lens you could try to check that out. It could be (worst case scenario) a bad lens. It might help if you can let us know what lens you have (SELP1650?)

Consider attaching some images of the lens etc. With your question. That would allow us to see what you see. Use this guide for that

Jennifer, did your camera start working again after following these directions? I am having the same error message.

Take it off by pressing and holding the release button and rotating the lens clockwise. Then put it back on by aligning the two white dots and rotating counterclockwise. If that doesn't fix it, just comment down below and I will tell you another fix.

It did not work that way

What do you mean? You aren't being descriptive enough. Are you sure that you have the sony NEX-6?

Can you please tell me another option for my camera. I did not drop my camera but it's not recognizing the lense. I have done every thing you suggested on your comment. Than k you.

Hi, I had the same problem: after 3 years use started to have often quite some difficulties to recognize my lenses. Solution= use clean/pure alcohol and a soft cloth to clean the contacts on both sides (lenses and camera). I used special (pure) alcohol for cleaning lenses which I had by hand. Do not use if the alcohol is not pure. Do not use other liquid and be careful with it: these solvents can damage some types of plastic. On my NEX-5 and Sony/Sigma lenses it was safe. After cleaning, lens recognition worked like new.

Hope this helps also for you. Cheers, Michel

I've tried taking the lens off and putting it back on, cleaning with alcohol, disassembling the lens mount and cleaning it, and bouncing the camera on the bed. Message continues to appear. What else has worked for someone?

In the settings, edit to enable “release without lense”

I had this issue and these solutions didn’t work for me. I noticed that the lens was slightly extended (zoom), so I gently but forcefully pushed it back all the way in to the original position. Then it began working.

Thank, it work again only once !

Any other way?

Jennifer Ruiz will be eternally grateful.