1998-2002 Honda Accord

2.3L 4cyl or 3.0L V6, 6th Generation

SRS light is on

What does it mean if the SRS light is on?

I actually dealt with this last week at my shop. The SRS light is a warning light for your supplemental restraint system (airbags). An SRS light means that there is a problem in the system. The first thing I would check is the fuse for the SRS unit. The only way to check this is with a scan tool of some sort. I used a Solus Pro. The scanner flashes slowly to indicate the first part of the numerical error code and then uses a second quick flash for the second number of the code. I recommend that you check the code and go from there. I'm guessing that it will show a "non-functional" code; this is a common problem. I had to replace the whole SRS unit in the 2000 Accord EX I worked on last week.

For images go to this link....http://www.superhonda.com/forum/536559-p...

O.K., here is the DIY for resetting the memory for your SRS Light. Your SRS Light may trigger and remain illuminated for several reasons. Some of these are:

• Unplugging your gauge cluster
  • Unplugging your SRS harness(es) when you remove your seats
  • Unplugging any other SRS plugs and turning your ignition on

These instructions are intended ONLY for resetting your SRS Indicator Light when it is triggered for the reasons listed above. Your SRS Light may indicate a more serious problem that should be evaluated by your local Authorized Honda/Acura Technician. Remember, that airbag may save your life or the life of someone you care about so don't disregard that indicator light unless you are sure that it triggered for some other reason. That being said, here are some pics and instructions for resetting the SRS Light (note: These pics are from a 6th Gen Accord EX Coupe 4AT. The MES plug may be located in a different location on other models. Make sure you know what you are unplugging. There are no contacts inside the port that the MES Plug plugs into.)

Tools needed:

• Flashlight (if needed to search for MES Plug under dash)
  • 2 1/2 ft. piece of small gauge speaker wire (insulation stripped off ends)

1. Locate MES Plug. It should be located near the driver's side fuse panel under the dash. The harness is yellow with two wires.

2. Unplug the MES Plug. It should look like this.

3. Insert one end of speaker wire into MES Plug (one wire in each contact)

4. Follow this sequence of shorting the other two leads of the speaker wire and turning the ignition to "on" (not accessory, not start)

• Short and hold the leads while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
  • When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will come back on.
  • Short and hold the wires again. The SRS Light will go off.
  • When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will blink twice.
  • Turn the ignition off.
  • Start engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.
  • This series of shorting/unshorting needs to take place within a 4 second window of the SRS Light going on/off each time.

5. Sound easy enough? Should take 15 seconds or so for the whole procedure. Good luck.

__________________

I had a problem with my SRS light turning on in my 2000 Honda Accord. One problem that caused it was a problem with my seatbelt, and it was covered by Honda. You may want to take this in to a dealer, and get them to check if it is that specific problem with seatbelt. They fixed it for me for free, because it was a problem reported by the factory.

very common on the 94-97 models the srs control unit goes bad for no reason,very expensive to repair,it only matters to you as the driver do you want airbags or not ??? honda guy is wrong about the battery that was a problem with the 98-02 models. honda tech 10yrs.

California Lemon Law

I did the reset steps but the light won't turn off second time around.

webdreams, read the complete answer given by mario massens. You can only do a reset if the SRS system is okay, not if you have a true fault in the system.

by oldturkey03

please help me i have this problem w /it srs please help how to fix it

Honda accord 1996 SRS stays on all the time

did you try any of the above answers?

by oldturkey03

If the car has been in an accident and the air bags went off will the srs light stay on simply because they didn't reset the system or would it most likely be that the scum dealer I bought this pos from didnt even replace the air bags or anything from the accident... Considering I didn't even know it was on an accident until I went to register it and when I asked him to fix srs and check engine light before I would buy and he just reset the battery and kept the cat for an extra week and made it seem like he actially did something lol .... My own fault for being lazy yes I know but hey I own it now and need to fix

Hi..m also facing same problem 2006 accord airbag light keep on...i scaned this from mechanic by obd nd after that result showing... Open in the front pasanger airbag second inflact..

What does it mean..pls reply..

Could be part of the recall. Check your vin number on www.recalls.Honda.com

by Carley Machado

I would pull the bulb if it would pass inspection.

If it's a 2001-2007 Honda there's a recall on the driver airbag. Check your out on www.recalls.Honda.com

Had a diagnostic done at a dealer. It was the SRS module. I bought an SRS module from a salvage yard. Installed it, then used the procedure described above. Bingo! Thanks so much!!

OK. Spoke too soon. Now it won't start. Turns over but won't start. Any suggestions?

by Chris

It is never a good idea to intentionally short anything electronic. I tried the above method on my 1996 Honda accord & the SAS light went off . The next day I drove my car to work & when I went to start it on my lunch break it wouldn't start. To make a long story short my car wouldn't start after shorting out the SRS light when you short the SRS it fries your main control module under the steering wheel which will cause your car to not start.

Never Short out anything Electronic it will not fix the problem it will make the situation worse.

take off the control panel and remove the light that displays the symbol

Score -1

Are you kidding?

by rickstout03

I have a 1999 Honda accord lx

My car won't start the srs light has been on for about a week yesterday it wouldn't start and still wont

Please help

by Wendy

I would remove bulb if I knew could pass inspection

by vettedon1

Diane will be eternally grateful.