The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Internal SSD is recognized as external hard drive

Internal SSD is recognized as external hard drive I have installed a new internal SSD in my MacBook Pro and now it is shown to me as an external hard drive.

What can you do about it being recognized as internal?

New built-in hard drive: OWC Aura SSD (480GB)

Go into 'About This Mac' then select 'System Report' Please take a screen shot of the 'Storage' window, then take a shot of NVMExpress window (you may need to slide the slide up a bit to get all of the info).

Storage

Macintosh HD:

Available: 377.06 GB (377'057'767'424 bytes)

Capacity: 479.09 GB (479'087'239'168 bytes)

Mount Point: /

File System: Journaled HFS+

Writable: Yes

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk0s2

Volume UUID: 6AFFB95B-A125-39A4-A1DE-ECE58F24158A

Physical Drive:

Device Name: OWC Aura SSD

Media Name: OWC Aura SSD Media

Medium Type: Rotational

Protocol: PCI

Internal: No

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

NVMExpress

This computer doesn't contain any NVMExpress devices. If you installed NVMExpress devices, make sure they are connected properly and powered on.

Most Helpful Answer

You're seeing the default setup of the drive. Its been awhile since I've put one in if I remember correctly you need to erase and re-prep the drive.

Restart your system and go into Internet recovery (left Command, Option & R keys), or you can boot up under an external USB drive. Press the Option key to get to into Boot Manager.

Then once booted, go to Utilities, Terminal, within Terminal type the following:

diskutil unmountdisk disk0

get destroy /dev/disk0

Close Terminal. Open Disk Utility select the Aura drive on the left pane and erase it and reformat the disk, re-install the OS again and migrate your stuff back over. That should do it.

diskutil unmountdisk disk0

gpt destroy /dev/disk0

Thanks! Somehow auto correct messed it up.

Hi

This is Steven. If this still does not work, what else can I do?

JerSta will be eternally grateful.