1st generation Chevrolet Cruze.

Why is my car not starting and showing code 89

My 2012 chevrolet cruze is giving problem to start as if my battery if flat bt all the lights and hooter are working properly.When i turn the key the alternator turns a little bit and gives me code 89.When i jump start the car it starts without any problem.my battery was serviced and the car could start atleast 4 times after that but then it started with the problem the next day

Most Helpful Answer

Check the output from the alternator.

Use a DMM (Digital Multimeter _ Voltmeter function) and connect it across the battery terminals with the engine running, (Be careful when you do this as the engine is running!)

The Voltmeter should read between 13.8-14.4V DC. If it is less than 13.8V DC then the alternator is not charging the battery and it will slowly go flat.

If this is the case take your car to an auto electrician to get the alternator checked.

dear Friend,

this is because your vehicle alternator / generator is not working properly. This will cause quick battery damage and engine shutdown while running. so inform this matter to authorized GM service center to change alternator and battery.

shinto chandran

Abu Dhabi, UAE

This some how related to the steeeing lock, shutdown the car and press the start button without break (or open the contact if its not with a keyless start) and then unlock the steering then move a lttle left or right the start the car it will start normaly.. If it works dont ask me why coz I dont know, I just discover this solution by myself

Joseph cafu will be eternally grateful.