All-in-one desktop PC released by Microsoft in November 2016. Features a 4.5K, 28" touchscreen PixelSense display and 6th generation Skylake Intel Core i5 or i7. Available with 8 GB/ 16 GB / 32 GB RAM, 1 TB / 2TB hybrid storage, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M / GeForce GTX 980M GPU.

Can I upgrade Surface Studio hard drive to full SSD

On the new top-of- the-line Microsoft Surface Studio, with a 128gb SSD/2tb hybrid drive, can it be user-upgraded to a full 1tb/2tb SSD drive?

I read The read/write speeds of the Studio's hybrid drive were around 200-300mbps and the Surface Book laptop was 1.6+gbps, which makes the laptop hard drive 5 times faster than the new Studio.

Yes, both of the drives are upgradable.

One you've replaced one or both of the drives, follow the instruction below.

Download the recovery image for Microsoft Surface from Microsoft’s website

Format your flash drive in FAT32 format and extract the content of the zipped file to the flash drive.

Step 1: Shut down your Surface.

Step 2: Insert the bootable USB drive into the USB port on your Surface.

Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button on Surface.

Step 4: While holding down the volume-down button, press and release the power button.

Step 5: Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from your USB drive.

English (United States) > US > Troubleshoot > Reset your PC > Next > Yes, repartition the drives > Just remove my files > Next

I did it and wrote my experience here:

http://cesardelatorre.azurewebsites.net/...

Great write-up! However, the big problem I see with what you've done is that you have installed Windows 10 onto the slower 2 TB 2.5" SATA III SSD (disk 0) and not onto the MUCH faster 1 TB PCIe M.2 SSD (disk 1) as you should have. Doing that kind of negates the use of the insanely fast (and insanely expensive) 1 TB Samsung 960 Pro now doesn't it??? If I were you, I'd install Windows on the MUCH faster disk 1 and use the slower disk 0 for your data storage. Doing so is not as easy as it sounds (due to the Surface Studio's UEFI controlling where the recovery image gets installed to), but it can indeed be done. If you need any help, I'd be more than happy to share how I did it on my own Surface Studio.

Hi TheOfficeMaven! I preordered a surface studio and will be swapping out the two drives with a 2.5" SATA III SSD and a 1 TB PCIe M.2 SSD. Can you explain how to intall windows on the fast drive?

Here's how to install it on the faster PCIe M.2 SSD:

Can I take off the SATA drive and use only the M.2 for Windows and Data? I don't need so much space. I can install only one 512Gb M.2 and it will be enough for me.

Yes ale, you can. Microsoft even offers configurations like that. I recommend a Samsung Evo 960. Incredibly fast speed. You can transfer a 10GB file in less than 3 seconds.

Should be good to go but with a high price tag:(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8A...

Jason Wells will be eternally grateful.