How to remove PH000 keyboard stripped screws?

I want to replace my keyboard, but I have an issue with two of the tiny screws of the old keyboard.

I tried with no success :

- using PH00 and PH000 screwdrivers with a rubber band

- using glue with a PH000 bit (i waited for 30 minutes fo the glue to dry)

- using various other bit to get a grip

I think i only have two options now :

- use a rotary tool to make a mark horizontal mark in the head of the screw, and hope to unscrew with another screwdriver

- use soldering iron to attach the screw with a metalic part or a screwdriver bit, and unscrew it this way.

I don't know what's best, or what could work... those screw are so tiny it make the work harder. Plus, the two solutions above may damage the old keyboard (but this is not the most important I guess, since I'm replacing it).

What do you think, any other ideas, or advice ?

Thanks !

Jp,

I would most definitely be careful in what you chose to do next. The more that you work at trying to remove the screw, the more likely you are to continue to chip away at bits of the head of the screw which would make them easier to remove.

Unless you have some precision using a rotary tool, I would not advise it being your first option in cutting into the remaining part of the head of the screws. You might find it more difficult than you had before to get a grip with a driver onto the head.

Soldering to the screw could also make for an even messier problem. However, it would probably the safer of the two options you were considering. Unless you are able to solder a strong connection onto the screw heads, you won't find it to be much more use if the solder doesn't provide any more grip or strength in turning the screw to remove it.

You said that you are replacing the keyboard anyways. So how important is it to you cost wise and time wise that these screws be removed from the old keyboard? You may find that spending time on this may be more work than its worth.

Jared, thanks for your answer.

Well, I have no experience of these tools (the rotary tool or the soldering iron). So I guess there are big chances that I damage the old keyboard anyway. But it's not a real problem because I already get a new one for replacement.

Yet, to place the new keyboard I have to get rid of the two damaged screws that keep the old keyboard fixed to the case.

If i follow you, you recommend to let the damaged screws in place in the case, and just remove the heads, right ?

But how can I do this ? Someone recommended me to use a screwdriver and a hammer to do this, but i'm not confident with this technique.

Okay with no experience with these tools, I would definitely not recommend attempting a cut into or soldering onto such small screws...

If it is necessary for you to remove the screws in order to complete your keyboard replacement, I would look into using some Screw Extracting Pliers (Screw Extracting Pliers) or Precision Screw Extractor Set (Precision Screw Extractor Set) both run for about $20-$25 USD. One of those may be a better tool to use rather than a rotary tool or soldering iron.

You'll want to remove the entire screws which are striped and replace them with ones that are not in case you'll need to remove them again in the future and to better be able to install them again to finish your repair.

With the pliers or extraction tools, you should have the best grip on the head of the screws to remove them.

Thanks for the advice jmw130.

I don't think the Pliers could help in this situation, the way the keyboard is designed don't let me enough space to grab the edges of the screw head. But i will give a try to the Precision Screw Extractor Set.

If this fails too.... in a desperation move I will try the rotary tool to get rid of the screws heads, even if the body of the screws remain in the topcase.

I will post there to keep you guys updated :)

Best wishes on your repair, Jp!

Okay so... it fixed it :)

The Precision Screw Extractor Set was not helpful... either the PH000 screws of the keyboard are too tiny, or too damaged, but it didn't helped in my case.

I had to drill the head of the two damaged screws with a rotary tool. The body of those screws still remain in the case... but i had no other choice at this stage.

After this I managed to replace the keyboard, and now i'm typing this message from my repaired laptop :)

The only issue is that the two damaged screws were very close one to another (you can check this on the pictures). Hence, the mute key key, juste above the missing screws, doesn't not respond very well. But this is not a big deal...

Thanks for your help :)

Jp will be eternally grateful.