Television

Guides and support for various TV brands and styles.

How do I repair a Sony KDL-52XBR4 HDMI port.

I accidentally connected a Receiver's HDMI input to the TV's HDMI input. The TV's HDMI input hasn't worked since. How would I repair it? It's the HDMI-1 on the rear panel.

The XBR line is superb.

Bad, bad luck on the HDMI-1 port - that's an easy mistake to make. Troubleshooting the component level on the circuit board is not fun.

But given that these units are still available as refurbished for about $1,200 USD, it may be worth repairing.

If you are a tech or an advanced hobbyist with workspace, and proper test and repair gear, and access to parts, and repair manuals, you could take a whack at it.

Otherwise it may still be worth paying the $100 USD diagnosis fee at an authorized SONY repair shop.

With time and materials I would guess your total bill for out-of-warranty repair would be about $250 USD (including the $100 USD diagnosis fee) if the problem is isolated to the HDMI interface.

It would bug me not to have that port working, so I fully understand why you would like to fix it ! Best wishes and hope this beautiful set gets back on its feet soon.

I am surprised that HDMI IN to HDMI IN connection has damaged the port because as an input port none of them carry the active +5V line. Normally HDMI port should get damaged only when the Source (e.g. Blu Ray, set top Box,.. etc) is connected to an HDMI OUT (say on a repeater or AVR).

Tim Wardlow will be eternally grateful.