Ambient light sensor not working

Hello -

Phone screen was cracked, replaced the glass via ebay service. Prior to replacing the glass i had no issue with the ambient auto light sensor dimming the screen based upon how dark or bright the room is.

Now the ambient light sensor does not work at all and is frustrating. I replaced the camera/light/prox flex with two known good and still no go. If you turn off and then back on the ambient light sensor it auto adjusts to just under medium brightness.

any ideas?

So you paid someone on ebay to fix your screen?

My guess would be they did a glass only repair and either got glue in the prox sensor hole or didn't line up the bracket right.

Worst case scenario is they damaged the logic board. If it were me, I would contact the company that did the repair and pitch a fit.

Yea, ebay you can have glass only replacement on say an oem iphone 6s for $45. instead of paying $120 for a new working oem screen... I replaced the screen myself.

Ahh yep, it was missing the little rubber gasket that should be stuck to the glass. I took apart another 6s and figured it out.

Most Helpful Answer

Yeah very well could be the glass, some of the cheaper lenses don't allow proper light detection. If you replaced the front flex I'm sure you would have made sure that the sensor is correctly situated.

So what do you think I could add? Maybe black marker?

Well the black hole above the earpiece is for the proximity sensor, the ambient light sensor is invisible from the front side. How to fix it would depend on whether its getting too much light or not enough. Test this by putting your thumb over the sensor, it should dim down. Then try putting a bright light up to it, it should brighten. When looking at the lens of an apple original screen, the housing for the light sensor has a white dot over it.

Does the camera and proximity sensor still work? Does it still have the plastic bracket around the ambient light sensor? If the plastic bracket is missing, that can often cause this issue, especially if its happening with multiple flex cables.

You should have both the clear plastic pieces circled in this pic. If you don't then they probably lost them and didn't think it was important due to inexperience / laziness.

http://i.imgur.com/h4CEFcq.jpg

Paul will be eternally grateful.