A 15.6" NoteBook from Gateway released in 2010.

Why does my computer shut down when I press the shift button?

The shift key on the laptop is not functioning properly. When I press the shift key when typing, the computer shuts off. If I press any other key it is fine but the shift key is malfunctioning.

It's hard to say what exactly could be causing this issue, but there are a few things you can try. First, use an external and/or on-screen keyboard to see if it is pressing 'shift' that is causing the shut down, or if it's the keyboard button itself. If it's the keyboard button itself, then you may want to consider replacing the keyboard.

This is an answer a year (!) late, but I had this exact problem (left shift key, right?) and solved it just now.

For the people who have the problem of a specific key causing a windows shutdown: if it is an external keyboard, hold the problem key down when you re-plug in your keyboard. If this is a laptop keyboard, press the shift key down until your initial boot up process is complete. It seems to be caused by the computer confusing a depressed shift key signal with Alt + F4.

If you are not sure which key exactly triggers the shutdown, you can download Shutdownguard and start pressing keys one by one to see which one triggers the shutdown process.

Jonathan Fernandez will be eternally grateful.