Released in November of 2012, this laptop has a 15.6 inch LCD screen, an AMD Dual-Core Processor, and 2 GB of expandable RAM.

When I plug my headphones in, they make a cracking sound- why?

My headphones used to play sound fine but lately they have been making cracking or static sounding noises. I have tried several pairs of headphones so I know that is not the problem. How can I find the source of my problem?

Most Helpful Answer

If you haven't cleaned out your speaker for a really long time you might want to try that, it could be filled with dust and ear wax. Or it is possible you spilled something onto your speaker which can distort the sound coming out. If the issue is still persistent or the issues I mentioned are not the issues you're having please check out the troubleshooting page: Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5303 Troubleshooting

When people get older, they get wrinkled.

When headphones get older, they get crackled.

The problem is not in your computer, it is the natural aging of headphones.

What you need:

- Baby oil

- Dishwasher soap, a good brand preferably.

- Water

- Soft brush

What to do:

1. Mix the baby oil, the soap and the water.

2. Take the 3.5 mm jack and put it in the mix.

3. Use the brush to stir it for 15 minutes.

This will clean any unwanted particles out of your headphones.

But this will not get rid of the crackling sound immediately. For that, you need to do this everyday before you go to sleep. In couple of weeks, the headphones will be shiny new with no cracks or hisses.

Courtney Burns will be eternally grateful.