Apple released the slimmed-down, buffed up iPad Air on November 1, 2013 in a choice of Space Gray or Silver. It packs the custom A7 processor and ships in 16, 32, 64, and 128 GB configurations.

Battery will not charge past 1%

My ipad air only charges to 1%. The battery is flat and when I attached the lightening cable it will make the icon of the cable disappear and show a battery in the middle of the screen that appears to be charging. The ipad gets to 1% and turns itself on but that is as high as it gets. Eventually the screen goes black again and the ipad does not recognise that the cable is still attached. If I remove the cable from the wall charger and put it into the USB on my laptop the whole process begins again until I change it back to the wall charger. I have tried different cables and chargers, some Apple and some not. I initially replaced the charge port as it seemed that was the issue because I could wriggle the cable and get the ipad to show charging. I have checked the soldering and it all appears fine. I Have tried the reset method and leaving the charger attached all night but nothing changes. I am beginning to think the problem may have been the U2 chip all along. Does anyone else think that is a fair assessment or is there something else I should be looking at?

Does the laptop charge on the laptop, or the wall charger? The current in the laptop or wall charger may be too weak for the ipad to charge. An iPad requires 2.4A to charge, while an iPhone needs 1A.

The wall charger is an Apple 2.4a and 5.2v output.

It sounds like you're charging your iPad using an adapter or power source that is too weak. I would suggest using the original (or a certified for iPad) adapter and seeing if that improves the results.

If that's ruled out as a potential issue my next best suggestion is to replace the charging port and/or battery.

iPad Air and iPad 5 Battery

iPad Air Lightning Connector

Best of luck!

iPad Air Lightning Connector Image
iPad Air and iPad 5 Battery Image

Paul Le Roy will be eternally grateful.