Ice Maker Stopped Dumping Ice

I have a 2.5 yo Samsung RF261BEAEBC/AA french door refrigerator. The icemaker has suddenly stopped dumping ice. The temperature is set to 2 degrees and the icemaker button is 'On'. When the reset button is pressed, the motor kicks in, the perfectly formed ice drops and the tray refills.

I've replace the water filter and the icemaker module, all to no avail. I've turned everything off, then back on. I'm not sure what to try next. Any help out there?

Mine makes ice but does not dispense it when the leaver is pushed all I get is water

Mine as well makes ice fine, no bad milk or soft ice cream so its freezing great it just doesn't drop the ice. I only get water

Rayesouza, is the ice maker tray not dropping the ice into the ice bucket? Or is it the dispenser on front of the door not dropping ice into your glass? This model has the ice room located top left in fresh food section, correct? If so, pull out the ice bucket and with a flashlight look at the very back of the ice room. Do you see any frost or ice anywhere?

Ice maker has been in a coma for over a year. We had a RCD trip yesterday on the fuse box and it's rebooted it into action ! This is after an engineer last year told us we'd need a new computer in the fridge.

for a 2k fridge and stop working after 2 years, the only solution is never buy samsung again, it's a cheap compagny that produce cheap product. Seem like a lot.... but a lot of customer have the same issue including me. for 2k fridge you want it to last for minimum 5 years.

If your having to press the reset every time to get the ice to drop it could be the ice maker sensor. Could also be the tempature isn't cold enough. If everything is cooling fine, I'd replace the ice maker. But, if you've noticed ice cream is softer or the milk taste bad, than your problem isn't in the ice maker.

Be sure to get the complete ice maker assembly and not a rebuilt one. I do replace a lot of Samsung ice makers and have a lot of problems with the rebuilt ones. Also, set your freezer to 0*

Loretta I can hear the ice motor but it won't dump ice in the bucket. I did see frost so I turned off the ice maker for a week and it's not working. Did reset it too..I think this all happened when the kids completely emptied the ice bucket this summer. Any thoughts?

Trish, I'm sure the kids had it working hard over the summer. The mineral deposits in our water, or at least where I live, seem to be the cause of more I/M issues than anything else. Including a house full of kids for the summer. :) An easy way to determine if you have hard water is boil a pot of water for 5-10 min. If you notice a white sandy substance in the pan than you do have hard water. It will form a layer of almost cement on the ice trays. It wont allow the trays to flex, thus, damage to the gears or the tray. I'd suggest replacing the water valve also if you have hard water.

Mine is model RF26J7500SR and I hear ice dropping but I get no ice. I replaced the water filter just fine. I tried locking and unlocking the 'ice maker off' just to be sure, seemed to work fine. My ice maker is in the top left, no instructions on how to remove or empty it... please help!!!

Hi had the same problem too. I turned the icemaker off for 4 days, as my research indicated the tube might have ice and needed to defrost. then I turned it back on, and it worked ok again. Bit I wouldn't buy a Samsung fridge freezer again. this fridge was brand new and has had 4 repairs in 5 years.

The ice maker module was replaced, the temperature was set to 2 degrees, the issue was the button is not an "ice on" button but rather an "ice off" switch. It was illuminated when I checked so after turning it off and waiting about 12 hours, it started making ice again. The person that installed the module did say the switch was off but apparently he didn't wait long enough.

We had the same problem and tried evrything they said to do. I used a blow dryer to defrost the ice build up, still did not work. The technician came out to repair the unit but it was stuck because the plastic melted from using a blow dryer to defrost the ice build....now Samsung will not warranty the ice maker. We bought the refridgerator 10 mos ago. The ice maker never worked properly...it is poorly made and it should have been recalled. Samsung appliances are horrible! And Samsung is horrible for not helping their customers with a defective problem.

We are idiots. Thank you for posting this solution, that was our problem too (I hope anyway! Just turned "Ice Off" off and we'll see if it works)

%#*@ that user interface is bad. It's so hard to read the light grey letters inside the cup that look just like the ice cubes in the diagram next to it! ugh. Thanks again.

Press "Energy Saver Control Lock" (for 3 seconds)

"Energy Saver Central Lick (3sec) on door press for 3 secs. Bad that it is so hard to get this information and to post!!!!!!

Does anyone understand this comment regarding the Energy Saver? Was it relative to fixing the ice maker? If so, did anyone do this and did it work to get the ice maker going again?

Joel, holding energy saver for 3 sec turns it off or on. Has nothing to do with the ice maker.

Tried the energy saver then the ice maker off button. I was desperate. It worked. Thank you Cate.

My ice maker has been making the noise described by others on this thread. It has stopped & started making ice twice. Now the ice is watery. Tonight the freezer quit freezing. My filter is bad & needs to be replaced. I’m ordering one tonight. Can the filter be the cause?

Miswear and Eidsonjr- What to check when SAMSUNG I/M DOESN'T MAKE ICE

~Freezer temperature has to be below 9*f

~is the ice tray damaged or covered in frost

~Cycle the I/M Located on the front of the I/M is a test switch. It might be on the side or bottom of the I/M head. Press the button for 5-10 seconds or untill it stars to operate. It should take about 30 or more seconds to complete test and it will end will a fill. If it won’t cycle you have a bad I/M.

~is the water line to I/M frozen? Is there an icycle hanging from the water line to I/M ?

~Test the water valve to the ice maker for continuity/ohms with a multimeter with the refrigerator unplugged. The valve is behind the unit where the water hooks up.

The Samsung French Door with freezer on the bottom and ice maker in ice room top left of fresh food section. I just learned that there is finally a new fix. Since they came out with this “ice room” design there has been many bulletins, each with a new fix from Samsung. None I have tried worked. Yes, they know there’s a problem and there is already a law suite about this. I understand your frustration. This latest fix isn’t going to make anyone happy either. The redesigned parts that are needed to correct the icing up cost around $600. That doesnt include shipping, labor and tax. The ice maker is redesigned and they fabricated 2 “Y” clips that act as heat sinks to aid in defrosting. The case auger assembly behind the ice bin is also to be replaced. This alone costs $255.00. Yes, it’s not right that you paid all that money on a refer that won’t make ice. As of today, Samsung isn’t picking up any of the costs. Probably because of a pending law suit. Who knows. If it was my refer, no way would I put any money into something that has had half a dozen failed fixes already. I’ve had several customers buy these new countertop ice makers that connect to your sink. Cost $150-$250. They love the ice and it’s an inexpensive solution to your ice crisis.

My Samsung ice maker makes ice but it does not hold it in the top compartment of the icemaker. It just drops it to the freezer section tray therefore I cannot get crushed ice or cubed ice to come out of the door. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fix this?

RFG 298 SERIES

So I've read through all these posts. I have the Samsung french door, freezer on the bottom, ice maker in the fridge top left. What I experience is that there is no ice, so I pull out the ice holder box. What I observe is ice and heavy frost built up on the bottom of the ice maker, and also a big "dam" of frozen ice cubes stuck between the ice maker and the right wall of the ice maker partition. I clean it all out and hit the reset button. Things seem OK for a while (a few weeks maybe, hard to say w/multiple users exactly when it stops working although I have asked family members to tell me when they can't get ice), then the same thing recurs.

Is that enough information to indicate what the problem is?

Donna and Kelly Blankenship- There is a class action law suit against Samsung on several models of refrigerators that are having frost and ice building up in the ice room and not allowing the ice to dispense. There are many models involved.

Samsung has tried 5 different solutions for the exact problem you both have. Nothing has been successful. I gave an estimate for Samsung’s latest suggested repair and the parts alone were over $500. I wouldn’t suggest it due to the last 5 suggested repairs failed.

If I was you, I’d try to find out about the class action and how to get Samsung to make good on it. Good luck!

Thank you LadyTech for taking the time to educate us, this has all been very informative & has saved me plenty of time & I'm sure money too. Super frustrating but I think I will just pursue a workaround solution.

Kellye Blankenship-Your welcome This is frustrating for the consumers and for the technician. It would have been better for everyone if the manufacturer would have admitted from the beginning that they didn’t have a fix for the problem instead of putting us through all this. Good luck.

I turned my ice maker off for three days, let the blockage in the pipes melt, turned it back on and it worked on again. Very happy I didn't have to spend any money.

I have already spent the total value of the fridge freezer already in other repairs. My fridge started cooking my food, instead of being 4 degrees it went to 26 degrees!

I wouldn't purchase another Samsung fridge again.

Have a Samsung fridge and it makes ice just doesn't drop it. The tech replaced ice maker water valve and sensor boards! It is still not working.

Nelanie Tompkins - Does your refrigerator have the french doors with freezer on bottom and the ice maker located top left corner? If the tech replaced all those parts then check the temperature? Has ice cream been soft or milk spoiling too soon? Also, pull the ice bucket out and look in the back of ice room, do you see frost or ice built up in the very back? Do you have water under the crisper drawers? When was the last time the coils behind the unit were cleaned? If they haven't been cleaned in a year, that is probably your problem. Dirty coils will cause the compressor to overheat, thus, not cool properly. The coils should be cleaned once a year-more if you have indoor pets.

All ice makers have a temperature sensor. They will not drop the ice into the ice bin until the temperature sensor detects a set temperature. The model with the ice room in the top left has its own Freon gas line looped in it. Do not attempt to pry the ice maker out.

Technician cleaned the coils temperature does not change its a constant 0 I bought a thermometer and put in it. The tech is confused I'm confused I just want my ice to work again

I'm having the same problem. The ice maker makes ice, it just won't drop the ice. On the advice of the technician that came out, he recommended that I get a new ice maker assembly for the RFG237ACRS/XAC model (French Doors, with dispenser on the left and the freezer at the bottom, ice maker at top left of refrigerator). I installed the new ice maker and it made and dropped ice, albeit not much the first day, however, since then it has made ice, however, it won't drop it. I've reset it several times and still the ice does not drop. I'm at a complete loss and there is no one to assist unless you want to spend $75 to have a technician come out and last time I did that, I was told to buy a nice ice maker assembly. This is some serious nonsense.

My RF261 Samsung (piece of garbage!!) has had every component including a new computer board replaced for the ice maker that is below in the freezer compartment!! I have to reset the ice maker every few weeks for it to drop ice. After resetting it, it takes over 24 hours to start dropping ice again, or at times it never drops it even after the 24 hour period. The tray gets filled and the water turns to ice, but this piece of garbage has a mind of it's own. In 1969 people walked on the Moon and in 2017 no one can make an ice maker that lasts more than 2 years. Paid over $2K for this fridge. Samsung, if you are listening, you make good HDTVs, stick to what you are good at. Your support on this Fridge also is way under par! Shame on you Samsung!!!!

I have a similar problem. Ice maker stopped dropping ice. After reading on-line forum I removed tray and allowed to defrost. My ice maker still fails to drop ice cubes. It is freezing them, I know this because if I press reset button inside maker until it beeps it cycles and drops the cubes shortly after I reinstall the tray and auger and I hear it refil with water. However it never drops anymore cubes unless I reset it again by taking the tray out and pressing the rest button again. HEY SAMSUNG, what say you for God’s sake??????

I have had the same problem for over a year

started right after the factory warranty was up. I just don't want to pay a tech to come out. I have replaced the ice maker and still doesn't drop the ice without hitting the reset button. I don't understand either!

I have french door, freezer on bottom. The ice maker works fine. The dispenser however is just giving water now. The dispenser for water gives water and the ice dispenser gives water. I have to dump the ice tray and store in freezer to have ice. Any one solve this problem?

I have the problem with getting ice through the door dispenser. Everything is water coming from the dispenser on the front of the refrigerator door. From looking at the ice maker itself, it's working. The problem is in the dispenser. I suspect if there is a motor behind the icemaker for the dispenser that it may be burned out. Going to call a technician to take a look at it. I just hope that if the motor is the problem, that this technician will be able to pull it out and replace.

Products should last about 5 or more years. You just have to put in a claim.

No ice drop replaced mother board and icemaker assy and freezer thermometer. What a piece of junk

Eidsonjr-I have to ask if the water valve was tested as well as the water line to the ice maker?

Bought the stupid Samsung French door and had replaced the ice maker assembly TWICE in 3 years! However, this last time with Ice Maker model DA97-15217D , I still have issue after replacement. I had to press the Reset button for it to drop ice into the bucket (shortly afterward). Then it just stop dropping ice (but sounded like it refilled the water into tray). I had to press Reset again in order to get some ice from the current tray. Any idea how to get it to drop ice down after it had made the ice?

Perhaps Samsung could develop an add-on for their ice makers which would automatically press the reset button every few hours. This would keep the ice flowing.

There appears to be some sort of heater tube under the metal ice tray. My ice maker makes the ice but is frozen to the metal ice form and the rotating arm that pushes the ice out gets jammed against the ice frozen to the metal ice form. A slight bit of heat against the underside of the metal ice form melts the ice slightly loosening the ice from the metal form and allows the rotating arm to push the ice from the form. I believe that there is something wrong with the heating element or the element temp control not allowing the heater element to come on and loosen the ice from the metal ice form. I am currently looking for a service manual with a wiring diagram to see what is connected to what.

My ice maker has gone on the blink after many years of service (my fridge is a Whirlpool). In searching around for a replacement, I have found this:

https://www.frigidaire.com/Filters--Acce...

It is a universal ice maker kit which you can install in any freezer that is pre-configured for an ice maker! This one is $114.90. If you go to Amazon.com, you will find other universal ice maker kits.

This is probably the best solution for those unfortunate souls who have a Samsung refrigerator/freezer. Installing a universal ice maker kit will allow you to get something other than a failed Samsung ice maker.

Lady Tech: Do you have any experience with universal ice maker kits?

I replaced the water filter on my Samsung French door. When I went to bleed out the water I noticed the water was HOT! eventually it got cold again but now my ice maker isn’t working. I have pushed reset button and still nothing. Anyone?

Based on all of the comments so far in this thread, I would replace the Samsung ice maker with an non-Samsung universal ice maker. In fact, select a universal ice maker from a company that knows refrigerators, such as Frigidaire. (Samsung is not known for making refrigerators.)

MrJimPhelps. I have lots of experience with the universal ice makers. They aren’t totally universal. Samsung and LG are too smart for that. You can’t use universal ice makers on Samsung or LG. You have to buy a Samsung. There are rebuilt ice makers available but I strongly don’t recommend it. Go with the new one. A lot of customers are fed up with these ice makers and have bought those countertop ice machines for around $150-$200. There have been pleased with the machines. I was pretty impressed with them as well.

Thank you .

I just love my Samsung side by side. However, the ice maker leaves a lot to be desired. Samsung replaced the ice maker, sent the repair person to fix it and the ice still continues use to get stuck and does not fall down. It is driving me absolutely crazy. I personally think the ice makes has a poor and incorrect design which allows the ice to get stuck most of the time. Enough people have been complaining. You should get your quality control people to redesign an ice maker that WORKS.

Check the lever arm to ensure it is not frozen to the side of the ice maker. It is on the left side of the ice maker and is a white arm. During filling, if the refill tube is not perfectly straight, some water may splash on the arm and it will freeze to the side of the maker. If this happens, it thinks the tray is full of ice and will not cycle wither because it is stuck and/or senses the tray is full. Be careful and check to ensure you do not break the arm.

the samsung ice makers are the worse on the market. they know they have problems , yet fail to address the defects in the design. i have for the last 6 months had to defrost my ice-maker like we did 40 years ago with freezers……. i have had the worst experience with this company and ice maker

as of sept 19,2018 …..i had a service man come out from the company samsung recomends from my area which is video repair place….. long story, but i had to pay them up front for the service call , repairman says if i dont get a new icemaker it will happen all over again because of a design defect……. he preceeds to show me….. so i tell him to replace it…. as he is setting it on the counter , he tells me their is another service charge…… i hit the ceiling…. i have already paid one…… sooooo i call the company and they tell me that’s their policy…… when he leaves to get the part, it’s another service charge….. i told her he walked 20 steps or so to his truck and got it …… she then tells me, he left your house , so it’s another service charge…. i argue with her over their shady practice….but got no where………… so not only has samsung taken advantage of us knowing of the defect, but the company that represents them does toooooooo…..what a racket…….

i also, am in the service business and woild never treat people the way we, have been treated over an ice maker……

after telling my story just this morning , i have had 3 people that have samsung refrigerators , where theit ice makers dont work…… shame on you

Wow! Just reading all the posts here, and being that my ice maker won't drop the ice cubes, I am glad that I didn't throw away my ice cube trays! And buying 5lb bags of ice from the store when I need more. I paid off my Samsung a few months ago, and now it wants to act up! This is crazy!

SFL will be eternally grateful.