Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Backlight on LCD not working

I saw several other people in this situation but no one actually answered the question I have.

Like many I got water damage... my question is if I replace the display assembly, will the backlight be replaced as well?

I have a black iPhone 3GS 8GB A1303.

You can see the display fine in sunlight but if I go into a room or low-light environment I can't see the display at all.

The display is working fine, just the backlight is out.

Any thoughts?

There are 3 places where damage may stop backlight - LCD, connector1 prongs on mainboard or the backlight coil itself which is on mainboard. Replacing LCD doesn't always cure the problem... There are a few good links on here about how to repair your coil ( James bond I think) . I would try cleaning the phone thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol first- you may have residue spoiling connections

The downside to that is I am currently stationed in Korea, so getting isopropyl alcohol isn't something feesible right now.

anything high content alcohol is all you need. 90% alcohol leaves 10% water, so the higher the % the better. you could just open the phone and try a soft brush to get rid of debris. many people refer to it as "rubbing alcohol" try that at the pharmacy/chemist...

yes, it will be replaced, but it would be sad to pay that much if you could replace a couple LEDs or similar. If you do replace the displace assembly I would be more than happy to acquire your old one for the touch screen component if nothing else.

Chris Ballentine will be eternally grateful.