Brother MFC-J825DW Printer "Unable to Init AF" Error Code

Read suggestions from Brother re. paper jams. No paper jammed - it prints fine. The issue is w/ the scanning/copying.

The bar(?) that glows green and travels under the glass gets stuck. You can hear it stuttering. Mind you, it does this as soon as it's turned on. I think it's part of its start-up process. I haven't scanned/copied anything since April taxes. Frustrating that something I rarely use all of a sudden causes problems.

Brother customer service was no help. Out of warranty. Woman was reading the page I had up in front of me, online. I certainly don't want to pay to have someone fix it as it will probably cost more than I paid for it new. I have a screwdriver - can anyone point me in the right direction? Thx.

Just wondering, have you tried the ADF (auto document feeder) option to see if that scans/copies OK or does that fail as well as the scanner glass option?

When I "x" out the error code, the printer automatically tries to move the scanner "bar" again, makes noise, then the error code comes up again. Pressing the Photo, Copy, or Scan buttons don't register.

Also, trying to bypass the printer buttons by using the software to scan doesn't get me anywhere. If the error msg. on the printer is showing, the software gives me an error msg. if I try to scan something. If I clear it, it's only gone until it tries to move the bar again and then gets stuck.

And, no, trying to use the auto feed to scan or copy does nothing b/c I can't get the other printer buttons to work - as it's stuck/defaulted to Fax w/ the error code.

Here is a link, which describes what to do in the event of an "unable to ..." message being displayed on a Brother printer.

As you have already checked for any loose /stuck paper and foreign objects in the printer perhaps "Cleaning the encoder strip" as per Section B (scroll to about halfway down the page) in the link may be of some help.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.as...

If you have already been here, apologies.

I found it useless since the problem was with the scanner head being jammed or losing it´s location and the link leads to info about the print cartridge head problems which has nothing to do with the scanner problem, The problem was with the scanner not the printer

Probably it is not detecting the White Tape on the inside of the scanner unit. It is this that the scanner uses to know when it is in its home position.

The Service manual has a section on that

The AF error indicates that it is not detecting the white tape at its home position

Acquisition of White Level Data

Function Code 55

You will need to enter the end user maintenance mode for your machine.

https://www.printertec.com.br/arquivos_d...

This is my model machine but the procedure is the same

Hope this is of help to you. You may not need to use the screwdriver at all.

David

Desertboot will be eternally grateful.