An easy to use home Espresso machine created by Saeco and rebranded for Starbucks. This machine is excellent for every day espresso drinkers and has an excellent build and product life.

Machine has lost its prime

lost prime on pump. Machine sat for a while not being used. Doesn't flow water thru..

The Starbucks Barista RARE Royal Blue Coffee & Espresso Maker I Just Picked up Was Not Working. After Reading Your Comments I used a Turkey Baster And Thanks To All OF YOU I Can Have Great Coffee

My machine is half primed. In other words the pump get water into the porta filter section but I can't get the steam wand to steam...it appears there are 2 tubes that need to have water flowing through them but it is obviously only getting water into the porta filter section. Any hints?

If water is flowing from the brew head but not the steam wand, check the tip of the steam wand to ensure it isn't plugged. The steam wand feeds directly from the boiler so if the boiler has water it should too.

I have an old Krups that had sat for years. It doesn't have a tube in the water tank. It has a entry at the bottom of the tank. What should I do to prime it?

Paul your Krups likely has little in common with this machine. You might be better served posting your question under one of the Krups machines featured on this site.

You can use a turkey baster/ear bulb/etc to force-prime the pump; often they get airlocked when sitting for a long time. Fill the bulb with water and fit it into the water intake hose, then with the pump running squeeze the bulb to force the water in. As soon as the water starts to flow easily turn the pump off, put the hose back into the water tank and continue priming.

Mine had been in storage for 3 years. I used the bulb filled with water to get my pump primed.

Thanks Henry !

Eureeka! Everyone in the family tried in vain to fix this machine, with no luck. I had it boxed up last Christmas to send to Vancouver repair person and just yesterday 10/28/2013 I researched again - bought a $.99 suction bulb and it worked!! Thank you!!!

Opening the steam wand did not work for me; and I was not able to force water into the pump hoses from the exterior. I had to disassemble the bottom (in my case only 4 screws) to access the water tubes. Then using a basting syringe I forced water into both tubes and because I had heated the unit before I could hear the water hit the hot tank inside. I reassembled and made a great cappuccino!

the bulb worked! i forced water up the hose and now it's working again! thanks...one problem though...water isn't that hot :O(

It worked! Yippee! I surely thought it was broken.....good friend gave me her old machine and it had been sitting for about a year and it flushed it with a tiny syringe and its working great now! Thanks!

Guys and Gals, just follow the directions given by Starbucks: the approved and simple method for priming the pump dies not require turkey basters or ANY tools. Turn the machine on but leave brew and steam switches on right OFF. Place a cup under the steaming wand. Open t he steaming valve. Now, although we did not heat the boiler for steam, the wand has this second function, namely priming the pump. When the valve is opened but the boiler is not heated for steaming, the pump kicks on and primes the pump. When the water from the wand is flowing in a continuous stream (3-5 seconds), shut the steam valve. You may now heat the water to steam or brew.

Yes, this is the correct procedure to follow when the machine is new or has had it's boiler otherwise purposefully emptied. However, when the machine has sat unused for a long time the pump can become dry-locked and then it requires either water under pressure (via a turkey baster or similar tool) or compressed air to be forced through it to began working properly again.

Mine sat for 5 yrs, pulled it out to use it and had no prime. The pump worked, and i took everything apart including the one way valve on the pump, reassembled and still had no prime. I used this method above and it worked perfect.

My machine is over 7 years old and I accidentally ran the tank out of water and needed to reprime the pump. I followed these instructions and the pump was primed and is working well again.

I tried priming the pump using a turkey baster but could not prime the pump. I will use the steamer from now on. Great machine and very simple to operate. Hope to get 7 more years out of it.

This worked for me. Thank you! (I'd left the machine running for 5 minutes with no water in the tank and couldn't get it to pump afterward until I tried this.)

Thanks anami!!! spent an hour trying the baster thing and nothing. finally found your answer and worked in less than a minute! Muchas gracias, now my co-workers in the VA can try Cuban coffee for the first time!

Works with Graef ES. I've usually had to wait an hour or more when it's accidentally run dry. This time I was up and running only a few minutes later. First time I've used the steam tube.

Hello! I hope i can post a question.. So mine won't prime either but it is making a loud humming clanking sound when I turn the wand to prime... Will turkey baster work for my unit or do I have a broken part?

Allen Bickle will be eternally grateful.