Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Touch ID not working after screen replacement

Simple to do, about 20 mins, but Touch ID isnt working as some others mentioned. I wondered if a fresh instal might help? When I go into "Setting" and " Touch ID" to turn on, it tells me "Failed - Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again." Any ideas, not a deal breaker, I guess it beats picking glass out of the side of my face when trying to use the phone!

This may be a dumb question but was the phone powered off and battery unplugged when you plugged in the front display cables?

If not you will need to turn the phone off and on and try the TouchID again.

Otherwise you probably either have a damaged home button ribbon connector / home button extension cable (the one that comes on the metal back plate to sit behind the screen assembly) or you are using a different home button and not the original one that is linked to the logic board.

Did you replace the "Full Assembly" or just the front LCD?

If you replaced the full assembly (and transferred over only your TouchID) you most likely have a faulty TouchID Ribbon Cable that runs behind the LCD Shield Plate. You can swap over your original and it should restore functionality.

If, however, you replaced just the front screen you most likely damaged either your TouchID sensor or your TouchID Ribbon Cable that runs behind the LCD Shield Plate. You can replace the LCD Shield Plate and restore functionality, but you cannot restore functionality by replacing the TouchID sensor without Apple's assistance.

Full Assembly - Product code: IF269-000-3, I moved over my original TouchID as the new assembly did not come with another TouchID Ribbon cable. TouchID worked prior to replacement, if I damaged it I am not sure how, I was very delicate. The Home Button otherwise works perfect. I have replaced numerous screens, this is a first with TouchID though. Thanks

If it ends up that the fault was in that LCD Shield Plate, email support@ifixit.com and they'll get you sorted with a small reimbursement for the part swap :)

Hi Matt,

I experienced the same issue as Bazzoni.

After a battery replacement, neither the speakers, nor the Touch ID function are working anymore on an iPhone 5s. ANyway the home button works correctly.

Do you think that re-initialize the iOS to 10.3 could help?

I am having exactly the same problem for my 5s. Does anyone have a solution?

@dcasolini I would recommend restarting your iPhone to see if that resolves things. If you didn't turn the phone off and disconnect the battery prior to repair that is almost certainly the issue. If the problem persists, try reinstalling and checking that components are installed on the screen accurately and connected. to the board.

You can fix this with iTunes. Do a software repair and it will work again (if the hardware is still oké) I think it happens when the iPhone is not turned off when you open it.

Will this cause an Error 53 after doing a SW repair?

I took my daugther to a person to fix her iPhone 5s the screen was cracked and he fix it...but her ID senor he forgot to install the original ID senor..what to do..

how can i do this?

If it's not the original homebutton then there is nothing you can do...

i think you must replace the home button flex extension cable, if you can't finish the id setup. If you see on screen at start up that id cant be used it is the home button itself.

You might wanna check if you really peel off the TouchID ribbon cable on the Shield Plate correctly. There's a small piece of plate that attach behind the TouchID ribbon cable and it's important for you to peel off the TouchId ribbon cable with the plate and transfer it to the new LCD.

Do you happen to know why this element is so crucial?

Because 9 times out of 10 the home button extension cable fails when replugging multiple times or even once without the metal plate under the extension cable connector to home button cable.

Note that I am not talking about the large wide metal bracket that goes across the home button to let it click on pressure.

What does that metal plate do though? That was the only thing I left behind when I replaced my screen last weekend.

I had the same problem. After screen replacement it's not working.

I fixed it accidentally though.

So here's what I did:

I installed IOS 11 Beta and within IOS 11 the touch ID was all good. I was very exited to have my touch ID working again. The only problem was- the IOS Beta was not stable and my phone was restarting all the time, so I had to downgrade back to IOS 10.

I was pretty sure that I'm losing the touch ID again.

Now I'm back on latest IOS 10 and The touch ID is working perfectly fine with my after market screen.

it was the same button or different?

I kept the original home button.

when ur touch id wasn't wroking did u get a popup message that the touch id isnt working?

I had this issue my 1st few times replacing customer's screen.

Method #1: Each time I took the home button from the screen they originally had on the iPhone & swapped it with the new home button. That then fixed the issue each time.

Method #2: For the times there was only 1 home button present, I suggested that they 1st backup their iPhone using a computer. 2ndly do I clean wipe of the iPhone. 3rdly restore the iPhone from backup. Which will replace all of your files & settings back into your phone as they were.

Both of those methods worked every time I ran across that issue. However, if neither of the 2 fixes work for you, then YES. It is indeed a hardware part that has been damaged during the screen replacement & you should order a new piece.

If you get the "touch ID" error when installing the new piece it is only due to the old home button being registered to the iPhone's system itself & will be fixed with method #2.

WHEN RESTORING, UPDATING OR FRESHLY INSTALLING IOS ON THE IPHONE, THE PARTS REGISTER TO THE IOS SYSTEM OF THE PHONE. Hope this helps you guys & gals.

#2 didn't work for me (only caused me to lose all my settings using Apples stupid iTunes backup/restore scheme)... #1 worked well though - thanks

I found this answer a while ago so I thought it may be helpful. Please comment if this works for you :)

How to fix Touch ID Not Working Issue on iPhone 6/6 Plus

Step #1. Launch Settings → Scroll down to tap on Touch ID and Passcode. Enter your passcode.

Step #2. Turn OFF iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store.

Step #3. Press home button to return to home screen and then restart your iPhone by pressing sleep/wake button and home button.

Step #4. Launch Settings → Scroll down to tap on Touch ID and Passcode. Enter your passcode.

Step #5. Turn ON iPhone Unlock and iTunes & App Store.

Step #6. Tap on Add a Fingerprint… and add another finger as usual.

With the above steps Touch ID will start working properly

This didnt work - I swapped iphone screens (got a new one) and had to move the old iphone home button over too for ti to work - apparently the fingerprint scanner/home button is coded to the phone hardware/.

None of the above helped. Any other fixes?

I was wondering will the touch id work if i change the motherboard only without replacing any screen.

Nope. You would have to replace the home button with the original home button from the new motherboard.

Can the Touch ID be saved if I only have the original button? The Touch ID ribbon cable was not attached to home button when I received it. Thanks in advance!

I had this exact problem after screen replacement and went without TouchID for months figuring I had somehow broken it. I recently reset the settings on the phone to try and fix an unrelated issue and an unexpected result was that TouchID now works again.

I have a similar problem with my Iphone 6S, but the difference is that my on/off button and my home button also aren't working. This started after i replaced the whole screen. So i only attached my original home button. Does someone knows what to do?! Thanks in advance!

Change the old home button to your phone then your Home button can work. For the on/off button, restart your iPhone to have a try.

I have already took the original home button and placed it on my new screen. What to do? My on/off button is working again.

So I am also experiencing the same problem. I recently changed screen on the iPhone 6 (gold). This is the third time I replaced an iPhone 6 screen but this is the first time I encountered problem with the Touch ID. After replacing the screen, I booted up the phone and checked Touch ID on the setting. It was on and still got the 5 registered fingers. I wanted to re-register the Touch ID for some crazy reason. So I deleted the 5 and turned off Touch ID. Then it stopped working upon re opening the Touch ID. But I noticed that the Add a Fingerprint button is still active. I have a spare iPhone 6 (space gray) with a faulty Touch ID. I compared it. I noticed differences on it like the the fingerprint button on the space gray is grayed out vs on the gold which is blue. On the space gray iphone, there’s an error message “Unable to activate Touch ID on this iphone” while the gold doesn’t have. So, I am wondering if I can still make the Touch ID on the gold iPhone work. By the way, the gold iPhone is on iOS 11.1 Beta. Anyone? Thanks!

Update.

I read the comment of Stalidzans about removing the phone on beta. I tried and amazingly worked for me. =)

Hi there,

I am going to swap an iPhone 6 128gb logic board into another iPhone 6.

It's very important to keep the Touch ID functioning so I would like to know if I have to swap both the old Touch ID + Ribbon cable to the new one ? Or just the Touch ID?

Thank you very much for your help.

You just need to swap over your TouchID. The HB Link Cable can be transferred or you can replace with a new one.

I just change it with the ribbon. A lot of people damage the flex ribbon when trying dismantle it from the Touch ID. You don't have to though, just have to be very careful

Bazzoni will be eternally grateful.