Why dont my brake lights work

all my other lights work but my brake lights do not

1992 GMC CK3500 7.4 454. brake light dont work, all other's

work except brake lites when I press the brakes, why?

1997 C1500 SUBURBAN LS 5.7 350 2WD brake lights worked until Tuesday night and then nothing, everything else works but my brake lights and hazards, any suggestions?

check the brake switch on the brake pedal

My break lights only work when the truck is off. When the key is on they stop working. I changed the relay, I changed the wire harness from the ignition . Could it be a bad relay bay?

I have a 98 suburban all my lights work but the brake lights I've checked the fuse and it's good changed the brake light switch so its good but still nothing with my brake lights its getting irritating not finding the problem

Before clipping any wires, keep in mind that most older model year trucks have the same bulb filament used for both the brake function and the turn indicator function. For that to work, the brake wire runs to the turn indicator, so that when you turn on the flashing turn signal, it switches out the brake light signal for that side so that the two signals don't collide. So don't just check the brake light. Also check the turn signals. In my case, the brake lights didn't work but the turn signals did, so that told me the wiring to the bulbs was OK and the wiring running in the frame was OK and the bulb contacts were OK. So I assume I need to check the brake light switch, the fuse, and for a truck, any wiring done for the trailer hitch to make sure it is OK.

I have checked the fuse,changed the signal and brake switch. All the lights are good. But no brake light comes. I was wondering if it needs another ground.

Fixed it it was the wires under the sterring wheel

I turn on the light and the brake is not on and I turn off the light off and the brake is on .I can not find out why

I am having the same problem. I put in new brake light switch and still no brake lights. What wires did you find under your dash? 1994 Chevy C1500

i had to replace my brake light switch cause when i stepped on the brakes the they would work till i put more pressure on the peddle then they would go out.now i have no brake lites.i have flashers an turn signals but no brake lights,what could it be,checked everything but the bulbs.

I had the same problem on my 91 K1500. The most common reason rear lights of any kind will fail is rotted wires. They run through wire shroud from front to back along the inside of the frame to the left tail light. Running this way leaves them exposed to the elements.

Check along the run for rotted, broken or degraded wire. Most spots would be at anchor points, junctions, etc. If you do find a faulty wire, just run a new one from the engine bay to the back and splice it in. Its a cheap fix and takes WAY less time.

If it was me i would clip the wire at the tail light harness, about 4 inches back, then move to the engine bay and look for the same wire there. it will most likely be beside your brake fluid assembly, in a cluster, entering the firewall. Find the wire and clip it about 4 inches back too. Solder and shrink tube the new wire to these pigtails and give it a test.

If you are unsure of the wire color associated with brake light function, you can access wiring diagrams online, but be warned, chev/gm have been known to change color codes from time to time.

It could also be a relay, the box is located in the engine bay and the relay will be marked, but its unlikely to be the problem.

Turn your flashers on to check the bulbs .Checks good go to your brake light switch mounted on upper part of the brake pedal with a simple test light you should have hot (test light on) when the brake pedal is depressed if not and the ong wire is hot (15 amp fuse in the fuse panel under dash) says STOP by it you need to replace the brake light switch. Also when you replace the battery get the highest cranking amp one that Will fit.

Sorry it's the white wire that should be hot out of the brake switch when the brake is applied

On my 01gm3500,bulbs are good, fuse js good. I replaced the brake ĺight switch. I'm going to back at it in the morning. I'm going to start by replacing the white wire front to back. Wish me luck.

Jayme Bisidas

I have a 2000 Chevy Suburban.. The driver side tail & brake light.. also the third light is not working.

I've changed the bulbs, brake switch & relay..also checked the fuses..Passenger side started working but not Driver side....Help.

Have only tailights on 1992 chevy 1500

No turn or brake light

Replaced circut boards on both sides

There is a switch. I think on most C/K 1500/2500 it is on the brake pedal arm or the arm hits it. It is $5-$10; you might take ALL your truck data to the auto parts store, buy a new switch, then look for the same thing around the brake arm or under the hood.

There's a fuse. Find the fusebox and look for "brake". The Owner's Manual may have clues.

Fuses usually blow for a reason. Some bulb-faults can blow a fuse. Change the brake lamp bulbs; on a vehicle this old it is time to do that. Open tailgate, there's two (rusted) Phillips screws into the taillight lens. Unscrew, the lens un-hooks on the other side. Flat rubbery thing with connector and 3 lumps. Unhook connector latch and carefully pull out. Use 1/4 nutdriver to remove 2 screws in rubbery thing. Three bulbs: they just pull out but won't want to come easy. IIRC bottom is backup and the top one is brake.

Look at the wires, because if it is not switch and not a bulb-fault, then as TBAS says it is probably wires, pinched or broken, from tail to switch to fusebox.

I had the same problem with my stepside cleaned the connections at the light and they went to working

like others were saying its a brake switch at the top of the brake pedal. just did mine and it was a pain but it solved the problem instantly. just need to remove a clip and lift up on the plastic piece to remove it from the brake cable, then disconnect the wiring harness and pop in the new one, atacth the clip and you are good to go.

I replaced my brake light switch but nothing happened and all the bulbs and fuses are good.

Same problem here. 1993 C1500.

I have tried everything. Replaced fuse and switch and circuit boards and not luck. All other lights work. Turn signal and runninglights and emergency flashers all work. Its wierd when I reach 35 mph my brake warning light comes on but my brakes work as they should. Also my cruise control doesn't work anymore and I believe it has to be connected to the brake light issue. Any solutions?

What did ya do to get em workin? I had a very similar problem

In older Chevy trucks the brake light wire goes threw turn signal for Cruz etc could be bad mine was all I had was head lights tail lights nothing worked it would not even flash the lights with the truck off

I have a 1994 GMC Sierra C1500 2WD with 4.3l w/automatic. It was a fleet vehicle. Plain Jane accept for High Output Heater, Limited Slip Diff and Engine Block Heater. Brake lights were working intermittently. Would come on when pedal as first depressed then go out after pedal traveled down a bit. I put in a new switch and all was well for 3 months. Then the problem came back again. I was ready to put a new switch in again when I took a close look at the wire connector on the harness. The end yellow lead was melted in the connector and the female plug for this wire was black. I got a boneyard replacement and wired it in. Problem solved.

Been reading about all your various symptoms. I have been fighting a taillight issue for 2 days. Only left turn worked -- No brake lights -- no running rear lights -- no flashers -- no backup lights. But driver side turn sig DID work. Changed all bulbs (were ONLY 25 yrs old) -- Ck'd bulb sockets (all ok) Ck'd fuses and pedal switch - both ok. Charted all progressive actions. Nothing made sense.

THEN thought back on what I might have caused when I took the bed off to replace a brake line in Sept. -- traced all movements I might have made that might've CAUSED the taillight issues. Looked the wire connections over and came to a ground at the frame near the trailer hitch lead. Took it loose - did a fair job cleaning the frame surface rust and reconnected it. Thought I had done a thourough job but still no change. Went back to that ground again -- took it loose -- stripped the wire casing back a couple inches and BINGO!!!!!!!! The wire was rotten ------------ Stripped the wire casing back real good

and got to good clean un-rotten wire -- took a FILE to the frame rail rust 'till I found bare metal re-attached the ground VERY WELL ------------no more taillight problems. So if things get just too wierd - ck your grounds!

You may need new circuit boards. If you pull the brake light out an it is burnt that is why. Check the fuse before.

I have a problem with my break lights/blinkers. They work fine until I turn on my headlights. I've moved the ground around, replaced break switch, headlight switch, tail light circuit boards no luck. What else could it be? I did notice when my blinker is on (headlights turned off)when I hit my break my dash lights for my "heat and cool" flash with my blinker. Any suggestions would be great!

Sounds a lot like a pinched harness

White wire off the brake switch and also with the cluster of wires front front to back is the brake wire that turns on the brake lights i just figured it out on my 92 chevy k1500 because i have the same issue and i need a inspection sticker

Do your turn signals work? At the taillights how many wires are on plug that goes into taillights? Do you have a trailer hitch installed? Seems like you have some broken wires along the frame wing should go up driverside frame rail. You may also have circuit boards on back of taillights and if so the circuit boards could be bad. Test wires at tail see if your getting power to taillights.

It was white wire was disconnected and the brake switch was not adjusted right

Check your grounds?

I have brake lights and turn signals when I pulled my "tail light/ courtesy marker light" fuse

But when I put the fuse back in I have no turn signals and my brake lights don't work.

So I guess it could be whatever ground for the running lights could be shorting something out?

Possibly the circuitboards to the brakelights?

update: my trucks turn signals and brakelights were working when the headlights were off. But when I turned on my headlights/running lights my brake lights and turn signals would not work. My turn signals in the front would dim when I turned them on and the ones in the rear would turn onand not flash.

But then I noticed when I hit the brakes with the lights off my front sidemarkers would come on very dimly....

Long story "short"......

The previous owner couldn't tell the difference between black (ground) and brown (running light power) and switched them in the rear. So the frame was working as a power source....but only when the headlight/ running light circuit was on.

So if you see a fresh butt splice or recent wire remember "human error" can cause some crazy wiring issues

what about No brake lights when truck is running but they work when it is off. Its been driving me nuts for over a month

Jim, I believe that when your truck is "on" your running lights are on. Take off the lenses and see what your bulbs themselves are doing. Are alll the lihhts on? Do the lights dim sleightly when you press the brakes? Do the brake lights light up dimly?

Pretty much everythread I've ever searched with this problem the issue has been a ground in one way or another.

Jim, common problem. If your third brake light works either way but the rear brake lights stop working when the truck is on its a faulty ground wire to the stop lamp relay. Other things use that ground when the key is on so its not strong enough then to activate the armature within the relay. Location of the relay depends on the year of the truck but mine was in the engine compartment on firewall by the master cylinder. You can trace the black wire from the relay but it goes into the harness so its much easier to cut the wire, place an eyelit terminal on it and attach it to the body with a self tapping screw.

I have a 95 Chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 my brake lights and hazzards don't work I've replaced the brake switch, turn signal switch, ran a new ground from the battery, and got new tail light circuit boards what is the problem

Either you have a broken wire, or blown fuse or you have a messed up blinker switch. The way those taillights work theres a white wire under dash on the column that white wire is for brake light. So the way the brake lights work they go through a relay and through blinker switch. So you could have a blown relay i would start there. 1 relay is on the back of the fuse panel, the other is next brake pedal on that panel to the left of the brake pedal. Try replacing those, and if that doesnt work look for broken wires under dash, and check all the fuses, replace blinker switch, and hazard switch. If all that doesnt fix it then you must have broken wires or bad grounds

1997 GMC S-10

Our "Jimmy" has developed a brake light issue in the last few days. All light bulbs are "working" when the lights are turned ON. However, If we turn off the lights the rear brake lamps won't light up when brake pedal is applied.

Any ideas???

Thank you.

Are the bulbs good or blown. It could be a blown fuse or a problem like mine had which is the passenger tail light wire was pinched/smashed.

It is probably your fuse relay swithch underneath the hood toward the driver side. Pull the plastic cap off the fuse chassis and you'll see a square relay fuse switch and replace it for the brakes. It's only $13 bucks and is the predominant issue with 1997 Chevy Trucks and the brakes not working especially if you reverse and blinker lights do work.

Would your fix be the same on a 95 silverado brake light on cab works fine?

Its the taillight circuit board or a broken wire. If you look on here i asked same question and i posted up what the reason for my issue ended up being. Moat likely a bad or broken ground, circuit board that is on the back of the taillight or a broken wire. To figure it out get a test light clean a piece of metal connect teat light ground, then unplug taillight and stick trat light probe into 1 slot at a time see what works and what doesnt and write it down. Then go to the other taillight do samething.

Awesome!!!! it worked for me on a 1997 k2500. Cables were pulled too tight. Once i combed back the cables the brake light started to work.

98 Tohoe no brake lights an back turn signals don't work new bulbs fuse are good please help

changed the mechanical brake light switch on my '69 bronco-wired the correct 2 wires to the switch-now my brake lights will not turn off-HELP

I have done everything and yet still my break lights do not work. But all the other lights do what do I do?

1995 Chevy C1500. I replace the Brake Light switch the Headlamp switch, and all the bulbs. #18 Fuse holder on the drivers side Dash facing the door has No power. Other fuse holders have 12.65 VDC. I changed the fuse but no power to Stop lights. All other lights are working. I removed bottom part of dash to look at back of fuse holder for broken wire. They are attached to the fuse terminals. Where does the Fuse block get it's power from?

I have a 1993 chevy 1500 4x4 and every time I press the brake it blows the fuse all other lights work except the brakes checked everything replaced the brake switch and still blows the fuse right away anyone have a diaphragm of the brake switch harness mine melted and don't know what wires go where....please need inspection and registration....HELP

Have a problem with 1995 GMC brake lights signals tail rev.4 ways are all working.Got power to brake switch white wire good fuse.please help.

russ will be eternally grateful.