High end Haswell business laptop introduced by Dell in 2013. This machine is also notable for being one of the first Haswell Business systems on the market. The system will average a battery runtime of 4-7 hours, depending on your battery.

Battery is not working

I have been going through struggles with this. In order to use my laptop, it has to be connected to the charger at all time. Battery 1 says "This battery is not available for use" and Battery 2 says "65% and not charging". It has been like that for weeks. The battery light by the keyboard is constantly flashing an orange light. What should I do?

Another thing you should do is boot into the laptop's bios. Dell has a built in section on the bios that tells you your battery's health.

This pretty much means a bad battery or charger. It's sometimes charger related, especially if the charger is old enough to have Dell molded into the top part of the enclosure. If your charger is one of these, find a newer one with a blank enclosure with the DP/N 0VJCH5. If this doesn't fix it, you have to replace the battery.

The older chargers are known to do this from time to time, which is why Dell updated it with a newer unit. The 0VJCH5 unit seems to be reliable, compared to the previous chargers. If for some reason you can't replace the charger yet, unplug it once in a while and see if that clears the problem up. This is what worked for me while Dell was shipping my new unit when I complained about this problem. It's related to the sense line, since these chargers use a 8 pin IC, generally. These IC's sometimes have bit rot issues or outright fail. If the charger responds to my workaround, it's intermittent or bit rot. If that doesn't help, the sense IC is bad. This only seems to happen a lot on the 130W unit, so the 65W adapters seem to be less troublesome.

If the machine is under warranty and you have the 130W unit, contact Dell and get a new charger, although mine was giving me the unauthenticated charger problem. If you are out of warranty, give this a read: E6540 diagnostic lights

If you reboot the machine and it says it suffered a permanent battery failure, you will need a new battery.

josegrass40 will be eternally grateful.