How to Fix the Clicking Noise While Oscillating

A lot of the Dyson fans nowadays have the ability to oscillate. Throughout multiple versions, there have been some reports of a clicking noise developing at different amounts of use time. Unfortunately at this time, there doesn't seem to be a clear solution to the problem.

I have this problem too. Drives me crazy. I bought this product as it was supposed to be quiet, too have in a bedroom. Do you think I have any consumer rights on this?

Hi @deasal,

If it is still within the warranty period, contact the customer service section as described in the warranty statement and explain the problem and ask if there is anything that they will do for you, especially if it is described by them, as you say, "quiet".

Cheers -I'm not sure, I will drag out the warranty.

My solution was to return it to the store I bought it from since it was still within the return policy. I did this after troubleshooting with a Dyson support rep, and she recommending me to simply return/exchange it. Since mine started clicking within two weeks of purchasing it, I had no problems doing an exchange. If I was not within the store's return policy period, I believe she would've told me to ship it to Dyson. I've had the same Dyson ever since. It's been a little over 7 months and have not heard a single click. I did not want to make this the answer to my question though since it doesn't actually fix the problem.

Most Helpful Answer

I had the same issue, in the beginning it was barely audible but it got louder over time. I found out there are two kinds of noise generated by the oscillating mechanism. One is a very quiet click that appears at each, or just one end position of the turning cycle. This is due to the tolerances in the oscillating mechanism and can not be solved without replacing or modifying parts of the mechanism. The other noise I noticed, did not happen at an end position and it was more like a rattle/ series of clicks, almost a silent squeak. In my case, this seemed to be coming from the cable connecting the motor with the mainboard. While the base plate and the motor moves against each other, the cable bends and may touch the housing or other parts. Also, there is a plastic clamp, holding the cable in place on the mainboard. I used just a few drips of silicone spray to lubricate the cable and reduce the friction on certain points. It is now absolutely quiet!

Steven will be eternally grateful.