2.3L 4cyl or 3.0L V6, 6th Generation

Why is it having trouble moving in reverse?

My car has trouble moving in reverse. Whenever I have to back up, it seems like the gears are just not engaging fully or something like that. It's an automatic transmission. It's gotten so bad that when I park my car, I have to make sure that I don't have to reverse up a hill to get out. I almost have to push the gas pedal down all the way to back up even a small incline. Any ideas as too what might be causing this?

Sounds like a dying transmission to me, but I'm not an expert.

Do you have the same problem in forward, such as the car taking a long time to engage gears? Your clutch could be slipping.

I don't gave the same issue in forward.

i have a 1991 model of Nissan Maxima...it doesn't revers so i changed the new old gear to a new one hoping that it gonna work...but the problem persisted...what am i suppose to do??

your transmission is slipping, this happened to me so I know from experience. its just a matter of time

Two things can be wrong, either your transmission has bad transmission fluid in it or has none, and that will tear up your gears and the second is rebuilding your transmission. This is cheaper than a whole new one and you only repair the injured parts. If you are not the only owner then some one else could of done something bad in reverse that screwed this up. One possibilty is that the mechanic tightened your brakes to much as well but it sounds like the transmisson. Take it in to a specialist and have it done.

I have a 98 Honda accord It dose not wont to go in R to back i have to push it and sometime it dose not wont to go in D3 or D4

if this is the problem, then the car wont go forward also. but the thing here is, the gear shifting and car movements are okay when in D. the problem only arises when shifted to R.

I have a 1989 Isuzu Trooper, all forward gears work fine but it wont back up, easy fix or repair man job.???

I've 1999 Honda baby boy. It doesn't engage reverse gear, D3 will change once & continue to rise while D4 will change twice & disengage. Any solution

I have the same problem with 1997 Honda Civic HX CVT transmission. What I've found the issue was that the pivot end of the shift cable (this is located at the top of the transmission housing on this car) was seized, thereby limiting the movement to some extent. Yes moving the gear shifter was hard at this condition. This resulted to mis matched positioning of the intended gear selection and the equivalent valve position for transmission fluid control. Simply fixing the seized cable and re adjusting the shift cable itself solved my problem. Hope this helps to folks with similar issue.

I am sure this is what is happening to my '04 chevey cavalier! I recently had to replace master and slave cylinder (groan) and I am sure the likage is simply out of place (some how). It seemed pretty straight forward (pun intended), but I am ignorant to the proper movement of the cables. It is the darndest thing though, because all gears shift with fluidity but when in reverse, the car moves forward!

My 2002 Accord EX-V6 does the same thing. BUT-- I have found a fix. If I move it to Drive for a moment, then back to Reverse, it goes OK. It has been doing this for a few months now (147K miles).

I had my mechanic check the fluid and replace it. He said it was burnt a little, and replaced it, but there was no change in this occasional (30% of the time) problem.

From another posting:

2002 Accord LXi CF8 2.3 auto - reverse problem

Yes we did resolve the problem in the end. The guys that originally rebuilt the transmission ended up pulling it apart again. They found that there was a hairline crack on the main shaft where it joined with the clutch pack that contains the reverse gear. The crack would open up when the trans oil was hot (and thinner), so when reverse was selected, it would also engage the forward drive gear at the same time (^ due to pressure bleed). So when forward and reverse are selected at the same time the transmission binds and the car ends up going nowhere fast. The more revs you give it the worse it gets.

They replaced the main shaft and now the problem is gone.

Read more at http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php...

Hi

Honda 97 civic automatic. P4 - P1 100% transmission fluid is good. The other day I accelerated putting my foot flat on the petrol. After that me neutral is off center. When I shift it up to neutral I have to shift it little bit past neutral like 3-4mm then it takes and when I shift to reverse after about 4-5 secs it kicks hard into reverse.

Any Ideas

what can i do to fix that problem.

What have you tried thus far?

By reving the engine to make it move in reverse is doing more damage. It has an internal problem with the reverse shift fork. Sorry it will have to be removed to be repaired.

I also am my own Honda accord 1997 model.....it takes much time to enter reverse... and each time I put it on reverse,I will need to accelerate higher before it jacked and enter reverse.... most tym it does not until I leave it for like 5mints before it engage... and also wen riding on hill it jack a lot .....pls what is the visible solution...? reply to my email with solution to smithjame72@gmail.com

Kindly visit automobiles workshop have yo vehicle on the scanner and you will be advised, clutches do not easily go but something to do with duty shift solenoids.

I have a 1998 Honda civic lx automatic and it runs great but wont go in reverse and forward. when I first crank it up it goes in forward and reverse but then its stops going after it runs for a little in forward or reverse. please comment on what I should do, get a transmission or rebuild the one I have or change the fluid to see if it helps

I have a toyota pradoo 2003, when cold the reverse engages very well without delay. Once I drive for a while and the engine is hot, the reverse won't engage so easily, atimes, I have to revv higher before it goes. What could be the. Problem? Please, can you also send the response to: adebayo9719@gmail.com. Thanks

My Honda Step Wagon has a problem with reverse geer. when in reverse it moves forward. help

i have a Honda Ballade luxline 1.5 auto 1994 .

my car is not reversing when i put in in R.

if i select D it goes forward no hassels.

but in reverse nothing at all

I'm looking into buying a Ford escort. I think the year of it is between 1997-2000. You know The year when they were kinda rounded and egg shaped because it's a four door car! It is a one owner car and has 49,000 original miles on it. My sister's friend got evicted and it was his deceased mother's car and he will sell it to me for $200 but reverse is out and its an automatic. Will I have to get a rebuilt tranny or could that be fixed and how much would it cost? He is willing to take payments too, So should i do it or not?? Thank you, Cindy

Scott Head will be eternally grateful.