Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

GPU Upgrade for 20" iMac (mid 2007)

I have a 20" iMac (mid 2007) What is my upgrade path for the graphics card ?

I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM in my system now. I would like 512 MB at least but 256 MB will do the job.

Apple only offered two graphics cards for this series:

• 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400XT - Apple P/N 661-4440
  • 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600XT - Apple P/N 661-4436

So you could swap it out. But, before you do that are you sure you want to invest that much here? This is a really old system. Its limited to 6 GB of RAM and doesn't really run very well with the newest versions of OS-X.

Maybe its time to save the pennies to put into a newer system (new or used) instead of putting it into this system.

OK lets do it!

Here is the IFIXIT guide you will need to follow: iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 Video Card Replacement. You'll need to get thermal paste cleaner and fresh thermal paste when you remount the heat sink to the GPU chip. I would stick with the 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600XT board.

As to upgrading the CPU I would recommend you do one upgrade at a time making sure the system is still working before moving on here:

Here's the IFIXIT guide you'll need to follow to upgrade the CPU: iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 CPU Replacement. Again you'll need to get thermal paste cleaner and fresh thermal paste when you remount the heat sink to the CPU chip.

The other two upgrades I would do here (I would do them first) is maxing the RAM to 6 GB, I would also upgrade the HD to a SSHD. Since your system is only a SATA II (3.0 GB/s) you'll need to make sure the drive you put in can run at SATA II. I recommend using a Seagate Desktop SSHD. If we look at the spec sheet here: Seagate Desktop SSHD spec sheet. Looking at the line: SATA Transfer Rates Supported (Gb/s) we can see your systems SATA port speed is supported. Make sure any drive you put in has SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) listed.

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste Image
Arctic Silver ArctiClean Image

Product

Arctic Silver ArctiClean

$7.99

iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 CPU Image

Guide

iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 CPU Replacement

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 2 Stunden

i was asking that because i found it and wanted to know if it was possible but the nVidia 8800 GS with 512 MB from the 24 inch work ?

There's a bit more than just plugging in the graphics board. The heat sink mounts and how the fan unit fits would need to be checked out.

I don't know of anyone trying an nVidia 8800 GS board in this system. Are you sure you want to risk damaging your system here? In case things don't quite fit.

i don't realy care it was given to me because the persone change for a new one but i will need heatsink form a 24 inch ? and whats is the exact port for the graphic card ? and the cpu can it be upgraded to Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor X7900

Before you start do the math out can you do it all for less than $500. You can buy a used 2011 iMac 27" model for around $600 - 700 (US) used.

Due the high failure rate of these video cards, the law or supply and demand, it's a very high dollar replacement. Better to do s Dan said and go with the 2011.

christopherblais13 will be eternally grateful.