Microphone issues Plantronics Voyager Edge

Hello. I have microphone problems with my headset plantronics voyager edge - people hear my very bad. I try to pair with another phone, but the problem persist... Any ideas?

Most Helpful Answer

Super easy fix - put a piece of tape over the two holes next to the call button. I assume the noise canceling is wonky...

Does it work sir? Mine has same problem too.

Yep, it works great. You can test it by just covering the holes with a finger.

Hi Dave, I will try this. The unit I have has been working perfectly since new and almost 10 months old. The fading issue has only just started in the last week. The noise cancelling thought makes sense as when I am inside a confined space (i.e. Motor Vehicle) people can hear me. When I get outside and start walking the people almost immediately complain that they can no longer hear me and that my voice has become inaudible. Yet I have no issue hearing them.

Well scratch that test. I accidentally dropped my Voyager on the floor and my daughters mini poodle decided to make a meal of it.

After a few seconds of speaking my voice would fade away to nothing and callers couldn't hear me.

I did the test above (covering the noise cancellation sensor) and my problem went away. Turns out the mic grooves were dirty, damping my voice enough that it thought my speech was background noise. A thorough cleaning with an alcohol pad including into the mic grooves cleared this issue for me.

Hi

I had same problem with 2 consecutive Voyager Legend's . Just before turfing the headset, considering it being out of warranty, I thought to try washing the headset with Isopropyl Alcohol and carefully drying with compressed air only on the boom and speaker head. Now its working perfectly again.

This also worked for me but on a Voyager Edge. Noise cancellation was somehow registering my voice as background noise and fading it out after a few seconds.

Headset is almost 18 months old now, and one morning my voice started fading away after a few seconds of speaking. I could hear callers, but they couldn't hear me after the first couple of words. If I placed the microphone right next to my mouth then they could hear me normally. If I covered the noise cancellation sensor (two holes near the call/hangup button) while the headset was in my ear I could also be heard normally. So I cleaned it thoroughly with a cotton pad damp with isopropyl, including in the grooves along the boom where the mic sits. After drying it now works perfectly again.

Probably just had some gunk in the mic grooves that was damping my voice enough for the headset to think it was background noise. Thanks for the post above, it helped me!

I just googled to see if there were known issues with the Plantronics Voyager Edge's microphone because I'm having that same exact issue!

I just bought mine only 4 days ago, and thought maybe it was not properly adjusted in my ear so that the extended microphone wasn't touching my face-some Bluetooth headsets, I think, the mic portion must be touching your face, I think for picking up vibrations better to hear your voice-not sure though.

Anyway, most, not all of my calls, people can barely hear me or they say I'm breaking up, and I never had mic issues at all with my Bose headset!

I'm going to contact Plantronics directly and report this issue to them and also what others have said about this same exact issue with their units.

same issue here. platronics sent me a new one and the same problem. after working perfectly for a couple months, i am now inaudible to parties i call. like i'm breaking up.

I have the same problem. This is thr second one i bought and same thing

First thing you do is make call then check to see if the mute is on! Push voice/mute button found on underside of mic boom. Till you hear it say mute on or mute off then try call again when you have comfirmed that mute is off.

The issues with the Voyager Edge is one where the problem is when the microphone is used in call it malfuntions but if you use the voice command it will work just fine you can do the same with the voice assistant if you make a call from the voice assistant the person your calling should be able to hear though it might not be as clear but more then enough for you to be heard by person you are calling.

This is just a temporary solution the real issue is that there is a bug in the hardware and as yet to be resolved by any other means than to send defective unit back to plantronics and have them replace the unit and tell them about the issues with unit you encountered.

I will be sending in my own Voyager Edge SE with microphone malfuntion in call and the OTG (On The Go) you need an OTG conector/adaptor to test this feature is malfunctioning so cant be updated.

Email me if you have other questions

I have the same problem. I have four headsets all of them are Plantronics edge. They have the same microphone issue. Plantronics replaced 2 of them but the new ones went bad after 2-3 months. It has to be some kind of manufacturing defect. It's better to stay away from that headset. If anyone have this problem is better to send it back and ask for refund. I went through 6 headsets and they just die at some point. So the new one will not be any better.

Try this - put a piece of tape over the two holes next to the call button. I assume the noise canceling is wonky...

I have previously used about 5 plantronics, bluetooth version 1.0-3.0, love it; but, not this one!

This Plantronics has sensor to turn off once I remove it from your ear. The sensor may not work very well. Once I disabled(off) "Smart Audio Transfer" in setting/sensors&presence, it seems to work, but not much better, microphone still sounds so far away. I don't want to play with all the sensor setting, someone might have better luck.

I download/install the software with my windows 10. I run it, plug in headset, then it ask me to download update; once download complete, you can play with settings.

To download and install MyHeadset Updater:

Go to http://www.plantronics.com/myheadset-upd...

Choose Voyager Edge, and then click Get Started.

Click Start.

Click Download.

Follow the on screen prompts for downloading and installing the application.

Same issue faced!

Plantronics replaced it, and new one got same issue within a week.

Rubbish piece of headset.

Another thing to check is whether it's paired with more than 1 device? I had the issue as it was paired with both my phone and my laptop via Bluetooth so the audio/voice was pretty bad as it was attempting to communicate with both at the same time. Disconnecting it from the laptop then let the phone work perfectly.

I had the problem of people not hearing me after I dropped it.

I considered it broken and bought a new one.

The headset is great but the earpiece is a desaster.

A friend who is a dental technician made me a silicon earpiece based on

the unfortunately discontinued Bose Headset II earpieces.

Now it stays in the ear rock solid:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l21ia7edr7cmx...

I've got the same problem, for the second time now, bought​ my first Voyager edge on Aug 2015, last year around May it was replaced for new one, however sound quality was a bit worse thany first one, although acceptable.

And I've sent it to reseller, hope they will fix it or it will be replaced.

Trying to look for alternatives now in case if there will refund be possible.

But honestly Voyager edge is the​best..

Mine was replaced. Just got it back few days ago.

I am considering Motorola Whisper, my friend ordered from US, he is a happy user for last 3 years.

Although, not sure how warranty would be valid or not outside US, for me it's very important.

So probably I'll stay with my edge ;)

Another plus for Plantronics.

Cheers

Identical problem here. Voyageredge paired with s5 and gear s. Stil working for about 10 months then people start hear me bad. This is the third headset that they change me in warrantly.

Did you try covering the two holes next to the call button with tape? I'm curious to see if this fixes any other set than mine...

Same issue here...

People comment that my voice is faint. Very annoying for an expensive headset.

I'm out of warranty and they are offering a discount on a replacement. Not sure what I'll do.

I'm now very hesitant of buying another Plantronics headset.

viperbox will be eternally grateful.