Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

Stuck on "charging, please wait"

So i have an either 80 or 60 gig ipod {there's paint on the back so i cant see or remember} and at first it was stuck on the Big red X, someone recommended that i let it discharge all the way cuz i already tried hitting it so the needle bounces back or something, but that didn't work. So i let it die, plugged it into my computer and now it's stuck on the charging please wait screen.. i let it charge over night, that didnt work, i tried reseting it but all the happens is it turns of and says connect to power, then shuts off again. What do i do?? and why do none of these quick answers work for me but they seem to work for everyone else!?!?!?

well i charged it over night and it hasn't done anything new

Most Helpful Answer

I take it you're no longer getting the Red X. If the following fails to work, it's time to replace the battery.

If iPod classic displays a “Connect to Power or Charging, please wait” message

This message may appear if iPod classic is exceptionally low on power and the battery needs to be charged before iPod classic can communicate with your computer. To charge the battery, connect iPod classic to a USB 2.0 port on your computer.

Leave iPod classic connected to your computer until the message disappears and iPod classic appears in iTunes or the Finder. Depending on how depleted the battery is, you may need to charge iPod classic for up to 30 minutes before it will start up.

To charge iPod classic more quickly, use the optional Apple USB Power Adapter.

Note: Connecting iPod classic to a USB port on your keyboard won’t charge the battery, unless your keyboard has a high-powered USB 2.0 port.

Before replacing parts, get the paint off it and make sure of your model number. This is the battery part you will probably need: iPod Classic (Thin) Replacement Battery

This is a very difficult procedure so you might want to take it to a pro, but here's how to do it: iPod Classic Battery Replacement

iPod Classic Battery Image

iPod Classic Battery Replacement

Difficulty: Very difficult

get a replacement battery that should work :)'

Question - I am experiencing the exact same issue (see attached photo)

. I replaced the battery and am still getting the same message. Is it possible that logic board has gone bad or is this an indicators of a wrong battery ? Note that I obtained the battery from this portal. Thank you.

The same exact screen that I have. This has never been dropped nor left the house, I use it to listen to music when I go to bed once every 3 weeks or so.

After replacing battery and things not changing I believe that the problem is the logical board. I had no time to deal with it, but will get that part and go about replacement. Its around $100 investment risk, but considering that these devices now go for $300 - $500 + and overall are reliable, I am willing to risk the cost.

Jessi will be eternally grateful.