Also known as a multitester, or a VOM (Volt-Ohm meter), a multimeter is an electronic measuring instrument used to measure voltage, current, and resistance. Includes handheld and tabletop testing devices.

Multimeter continuous beeping in continuity mode

continuous beeping even with test leads removed.

checked battery and opened it up with no showing of corrosion or something shorting anything. Fuse still intact also did not work with high voltages.

Was checking some dead phone batteries at the time and when got back to it it kept beeping.

does not want to work in any other mode at all.

What type of model and make of Multimeter do you have?

It just says Digital Multimeter DT369.

It isn't the clamp model I found when looking for a service model though.

added pic of Multimeter if that helps.

Hmm. That's one of those economical run-of-the-mill (but nonetheless useful, when they work) chinese meters. Well, you're going to have to buy a new one anyway if you'd want to troubleshoot this one ;)

I would have to agree with Flying Dutchman it's not worth putting any money in or time since you can buy a new for less but I strongly recommend fluke meters if you can they are roughed reliable and accurate. It sounds to me that the logic board is bad and needs to be replaced.

I was looking for a somple solution to my problem since I could not find anything conclusive online. For basic troubleshooting it was handy and one not to just throw stuff out I would always look for some solution as so the same problem doesn't resurface.

Just hoped this one would last longer since it had the few extras I needed.

Much thanks.

I understand, if you want I know sometimes I've had issues with other multimeters and a cheap and inexpensive way to troubleshoot is to replace the leads. It could be some bad leads that could be giving this problem.

it even beeps without leads. The guy at store said this the best they have and only other was a few cheaper ones.

@cois Is there still functionality when reading the meter is it just the continuity .Is there continuity functionality , what reading are you getting with the leads not connected and connected, if all other functions are OK don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I agree with Flying Dutchman in that you need a multi meter to test this one . I have a drawer full of cheap multi meters (family seems to think its a good fathers day gift)and I use them all I have an expensive Snap on multi meter and I tend to use the cheap ones more often.

it just shows zeros no matter to what I turn it and of course beeps in continuity mode even with leads removed.

Picking up a very cheap model today just to be able to troubleshoot some minor things. and if there is something to fix here that would be great too.

I will be investing in a multimeter in the not so near future since where I live now the only way to get quality is to ship it. Got this one because it had the thermometer function which I needed.

I have a cheap Chinese multimeter UNI-T 132b and while I was unknowingly measuring currents way above 200 mA (the chosen scale) it just stopped measuring anything. The other functions worked like charm except DC small currents and diode/continuity. Similar to your situation, leads or not it kept on beeping while testing for continuity. Opened it up and found that the fuse for that circuit was gone. I temporarily 'replaced' it with some plain wire to test the multimeter for further damages. Beeping stopped and DC small currents measurement worked just fine. So that's like an error beep or something. Bought a new fuse for under a dollar and my multimeter is as good as new now. Hope you have the same luck!

Francois Saaiman will be eternally grateful.