The Asus X401A-BHPDN37 was released in September of 2012. It has a slim 14” high-definition display with a 320GB hard-drive, which offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

Upgrade memory from 2gb to 8gb

Is it okay to upgrade my laptop Asus X401A (with Intel Pentium B970 processor) memory from 2gb to 4gb? When upgraded, will it process faster?

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Hi Duke Villarica,

According to the specs, your laptop only supports up to 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Most Helpful Answer

The memory upgrade can be done, but Asus has designed it where you need to take the entire laptop apart just to access the memory module. In addition, you can only install one module and there is no soldered RAM to supplement the final amount.

That being said, the guide to remove the memory can be found here.

The other thing you can so with yours is put more then 4GB in if you're brave enough to try. According to the Intel ARK page, this processor can take 16GB of RAM. However, the single RAM slot limits you to 8GB in your case with DDR3.

Hi @nick ,

Just curious how you overcome the BIOS limitation if the manufacturer has set it to 4GB

That has been dead since the mid 2000's. The last systems with RAM limtied BIOSes were Pentium 4 775 era systems. Any manufacturer who STILL practices it on modern equipment is known by name.

That just means Asus validated up to 4GB. There have been cases where it has been tested past the OEM validation and worked on modern equipment.

Hi @nick ,

Thanks for that.

So why would the specs still show limits?

Cheers

The last time I seen it on modern equipment was the G33M02 Inspiron 530s. You need a custom BIOS to unlock all 8GB on those. The Dell version of the G33M0X is customized, so I have a hunch the reference BIOS will kill the Dell board.

I wouldn't go past the validated capacity professionally (nor recommend it) but anyone doing it themselves (or hobbyists) are more willing to try and see if it is BIOS limited.

I was just going on the specs

Perhaps it is written to deter from upgrading as it might be as you say there may be problems with more RAM installed that they don't want to overcome

octoberdearest will be eternally grateful.