The Microsoft Surface Pro2 is a Tablet/Laptop fusion that was released in 2013.The Surface Pro 2 is the successor of Microsoft's Surface Pro and uses Windows 8.1 through Windows 10.

Power Cover Not Working

Hey guys

I recently got myself a second hand Surface Pro 2 for work and while the device itself is in perfect working order I've had some problems getting the accessories to work properly. My Type Cover works perfectly; just clipped on and is detected fine and works exactly as promised. However, the Power Cover I got simply will not be detected at all.

As best I can tell the Power Cover was brand new and is in perfect condition from the outside. But something is up here. I have tried cleaning the contacts as MS Support suggests but that has had no effect. I just don't know anything else that I could try but I'd really like to get the Power Cover working if at all possible because I would love the extended battery life.

Can anyone suggest any possible fixes for a power cover?

I have been a supporter of the Surface Pro 2 since release and while I had no problems with initial released Power Covers, THREE of the ones I purchased late 2016 all seem to have a problem in not charging, either instantly the Surface Pro 2 recognizes the device - at zero charge then jump to listing the full capacity and says the secondary battery is not charging but plugged in.

I have searched online with as best of a context given as possible. Since the Power Covers are fitted with the same consumer electronic lithium ion batteries, I searched with varying results on how to restore lithium ion batteries and all seem to give a general answer of plugging in the battery to a USB outlet adapter (which would mean taking a Surface Pro 2 type cover connector part, and soldering the power leads). But this is also the kicker, the Power Cover won't be in a charging state if the Surface Pro 2 itself is not in a certain sleep state (meaning there has to be a certain signal to the middle ball pins that itself is just another USB arrangement - to give some sort of signaling to the Power Cover).

Finally, no where online is there any information on the "wake up" voltage needed to wake up perfectly new in box, sealed, sitting for a long time Power Covers (situation you and I are in). Information online also states that Lithium ion batteries that sat without being charged are usually at close to near empty and would require a jump start if I deduced sources right to be in a charging discharging cycle again. I tried experimenting with a DC power generator and soldering the Surface Pro 2 connector part to the leads and tried adjusting the power but I have yet to "wake" up the Power Covers I recently bought.

If someone can chime in to as what the specification of the Power Cover batteries are, that would be extremely helpful in going to attempt to restore charging capabilities to the covers.

Well first off, if you purchased your surface pro 2 power cover from a reseller like Amazon, then there's a good chance your power cover won't perform as you want it to. As benjamin.hua explains, he hasn't been able to get his to charge despite trying to wake it up. I've bought and return two with no luck. It's like the reseller doesn't care if you buy and return for free on Amazon. Many complain that these units, upon calling Microsoft, are actually refurbished units far beyond their warranty period. The battery in the cover has been sitting discharged for weeks, months, even years so even if you get the Surface to recognize the cover, it won't do much more than be a heavy keyboard. BTW I'm typing on my surface with power cover. No the battery doesn't charge.

To address the issue of recognizing the keyboard, have you check device manager to see if it shown as an unknown device? Also try updating the firmware and windows update on the surface. Good luck!

Sam Doohan will be eternally grateful.