1

Reed
407

iPhone sleep/lock button doesn't work

The sleep/lock button on the shoulder of my iPhone (original) only works if you press it INCREDIBLY hard. Like, press the button against a table and lean on it.

It's pretty frustrating. How easy is it to replace?

Edited by: Kyle Wiens ( )

this is a common problem

john,

4

David Iwanicki
4k

This is a very common issue, usually caused by a drop or strike to the button area, forcing the button mechanism down into its housing and/or bending in the aluminum casing around it.

You need to replace the entire headphone jack assembly (includes the headphone jack, on/off switch, silent/ring switch, volume controls, and vibrator). The part is inexpensive, but working on a 1st Gen iPhone is incredibly difficult.

Look at the iFixit repair steps for this part before making a decision to try this: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Insta...

Might be worth renewing your contract with at&t and getting a new 3Gs.

1

Spikey2

well, it is possible, but HARD

I just replaced the battery on my iPhone, and the steps required are the same pretty much. getting the the shell off is not easy,and I don't see a way of doing it without osme damage.

But it is worth it somehow ...

see the guide in the iFixit teardown!

1

templartyler
13

I had the same problem with my 3g, but after seeing this the idea to beat it upside down (lock button facing the ground) against the table really hard crossed my mind...it works perfect now. Hope that helps!

@templartyler Your the best man, my iphone was jailbroken in a tethered state so i needed the sleep button to kick into dfu mode. I slammed my 3gs on the table a couple times and walaa' thanks man, most effective and inexpensive solution =P

JNas,

1

Rei
13

My scenario (which is slightly different but this is a solution for all!)

Lock button not working. Can't lock screen or take snapshots.

---------

Try going into settings and choosing assistive touch. You can move the little circle anywhere on your phone (I chose between the time and battery since it doesn't interfere with anything)

I got water damage in my iPhone 4 and the lock button stopped working. My roommate who has an iPhone has seen a similar problem with the lock button.

Turned that on. And voila!

Explore it and you see many options, some I don't care to delve in to, but now I know how to take screen shots and I only need to use one finger now XD

Also, no repair, no expense, already built in!

0

Crazy
1

idk what happened to mine cuz i my bro was using and out no where it was a mark in the screen( from like inside) and the sleep button doesnt work !! its very frustrating.. idk what to do. like my brother said tht he had it in his pocket but i dun think that a pocket could damage the screen and The SLEEP button but i dun care about the screen but the sleep bottom everything work perfectly but the sleep button doesn't.

He dropped it! In his pocket/on the ground but to crack a screen means height... I'd guess the bezel is agape near power button and if you squeeze the screen and case together on the edge there and then push power it'll work. If it does.. Your bro should fess up!

pollytintop,

0

Elaine Eugenio
1

@ " I had the same problem with my 3g, but after seeing this the idea to beat it upside down (lock button facing the ground) against the table really hard crossed my mind...it works perfect now. Hope that helps! "

This totally works! Thanks SOOO much!! Sometimes brute force is still the best solution when fixing electronics! :-D

0

Marcus
199

This is a very common issue with iPhone 4.

The button assembly inside the phone consists of two metal plates, a layer of tape and a tiny plastic nub that's glued to the tape.

This plastic nub has either been worn down och has fallen off.

The best thing to do is to buy the full button assembly withe sensors and everything, but...

DON'T replace the entire sensor because there is a 90% risk that the proximity sensor stops working. It's extremely sensitive.

What you do is take a small knife and replace the small plates with tape and everything. It's a bit tricky but I promise, it's the best sollution.

Take the phone apart and remove the screen so you easily can unscrew the button assembly.

0

john
1

stick it in your !@# and youll get it to work

0

Erialderry
79

Thougd it is hard for ourselves to replace the button, but the guys in the repair store are smart. They can make it. So send your iPhone to the store to have it fixed. Good luck!

0

colin
1

Beating on the switch worked perfect!! woo hoooo

0

mllepiiwi
1

Omg thank u so much ! my iPhone was not responding at all ! and since my sleep button is not working I didn't know how to restart it ! so I just pressed it against the side of the table and held the home button ! and Tadaaa ! it worked !!!

Thank u once again